Kempner Diet Worked Not Because Is High Carb, But Because Is Low Fat

Vinny

So, trying to figure out diabetes, weight gain and all this stuff, my hypo brain led me to the above conclusion.

Diabetes 2 is inability cells to take glucose for fuel, because of their fat content (there are probably contributing factors to development of the disease, but I think this is the main one).

So, get on a low/zero fat diet, purge the fat from the cells and eventually one will get healed.

What do you think about that?

Cirion

Well yes and no. Low fat is equally as important as high carb in my experience for metabolism/weight management. And it is just but one of many factors involved to get well.

Its super complicated. I know you follow my log, and honestly you haven't even seen 10% of the plots/data I go through to try to figure this stuff out. I only post snippets of stuff in my log. I probably have over 1,000 plots of various parameters (not a typo), about 500 columns of parameters (or more), and now 6 months (180 days). I'm basically doing something like a one man meta-study or something like that lol. So basically, I have a lot of information that I go through on a daily basis to determine trends to figure out how to get well. It's daunting, and insane, but every day I learn new things. The hope that I'll finally "figure it out" is what keeps me going haha. Anyway, I digress, and I've found that low fat is just one of many factors I apply at this point. But yes, its an important one for sure.

OP
Vinny

Vinny

bump

stargazer1111

The problem with the Kempner diet long-term is the lack of protein. Perhaps a long-term version would include lean meat and skim milk. But, then this would be closer to a Ray Peat diet anyway haha.

gaze

Well yes and no. Low fat is equally as important as high carb in my experience for metabolism/weight management. And it is just but one of many factors involved to get well.

Its super complicated. I know you follow my log, and honestly you haven't even seen 10% of the plots/data I go through to try to figure this stuff out. I only post snippets of stuff in my log. I probably have over 1,000 plots of various parameters (not a typo), about 500 columns of parameters (or more), and now 6 months (180 days). I'm basically doing something like a one man meta-study or something like that lol. So basically, I have a lot of information that I go through on a daily basis to determine trends to figure out how to get well. It's daunting, and insane, but every day I learn new things. The hope that I'll finally "figure it out" is what keeps me going haha. Anyway, I digress, and I've found that low fat is just one of many factors I apply at this point. But yes, its an important one for sure.

why do you think people on super low fat usually lose rapid weight but for you it was different? Were kempners patients not eating that many calories?

tankasnowgod

Kempner reportedly whipped his patients into compliance (according to Denise Minger's "In Defense of Low Fat"), so maybe that was a bigger factor than low fat or high carb, at least in the area of weight loss.

stargazer1111

One blogger claimed it was a caloric deficit at 1400 calories per day. However, it looks like they actually consumed about 2000 calories per day. This could still be a slight deficit depending on the person, but not excessively so.

""white rice, sugar, fruit, fruit juices, vitamins and iron, and provided about 2000 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 700–1000 ml of liquid as fruit and fruit juices. Sodium content was extremely low, about 250 milligrams per day, and chloride content about 100 milligrams per day."

An archaeologic dig: A rice–fruit diet reverses ECG changes in hypertension - ScienceDirect

That protein intake is not sustainable, though.

OP
Vinny

Vinny

Kempner reportedly whipped his patients into compliance (according to Denise Minger's "In Defense of Low Fat"), so maybe that was a bigger factor than low fat or high carb, at least in the area of weight loss.
Lol

paymanz

yes , also low protein in short term can be helpful , when your sick and dont need that much protein , your body cant utilize it.(you cant utilize it and your body has to convert it to sugar, extra task for your liver and kidney)

Last edited:
OP
Vinny

Vinny

One blogger claimed it was a caloric deficit at 1400 calories per day. However, it looks like they actually consumed about 2000 calories per day. This could still be a slight deficit depending on the person, but not excessively so.

""white rice, sugar, fruit, fruit juices, vitamins and iron, and provided about 2000 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 700–1000 ml of liquid as fruit and fruit juices. Sodium content was extremely low, about 250 milligrams per day, and chloride content about 100 milligrams per day."

An archaeologic dig: A rice–fruit diet reverses ECG changes in hypertension - ScienceDirect

That protein intake is not sustainable, though.
Yes, 20 grams of protein is ridicilously low longterm, but, since some of them, reportedly, were in terminal stage of desease, it looks like the diet was perfectly designed to safe their lives. And, from Peats perspective, it guaranteed complete pufa depletion.
I wonder, has dr Kempner been aware at that time about the pufas-shmufas, or it was just his intuition?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals