"Keeping The Metabolic Rate Up Is The Main Thing, And There Are Lots Of Ways To Do It."

narouz

Peata asked a question of Dr. P and received this answer:

Peata said:
Q's: There has been a lot of confusion on what you recommend to lose body weight/ fat. Some say reduce calories, others say you must raise calories (to lose weight). Many of us seem to be insulin resistant and unable to lose. Can you clear up your recommendations on lowing weight/fat?

Answer from RP on 4/12/15: Keeping the metabolic rate up is the main thing, and there are lots of ways to do it. Using gelatin as an extra protein source can help to raise the body temperature. Since insulin stimulates fat deposition, insulin resistance isn’t likely to lead to extra fat production.

Shall we count the ways?

OP
N

narouz

max219 said:
Calories!

Hmmm...you could get a lot of calories from, like, avocados.
Or nuts, say.
Lots of PUFA along with it though,
so the result would probably be a net metabolism dive, imo.

Good fruits?

Peata

from an interview with RP on thyroid-info com:

Coconut oil added to the diet can increase the metabolic rate.

Small frequent feedings, each combining some carbohydrate and some protein, such as fruit and cheese, often help to keep the metabolic rate higher.

Eating raw carrots can prevent the absorption of estrogen from the intestine, allowing the liver to more effectively regulate metabolism.

If a person doesn't lose excess weight on a moderately low calorie diet with adequate protein, it's clear that the metabolic rate is low.

The number of calories burned is a good indicator of the metabolic rate. The amount of water lost by evaporation is another rough indicator: For each liter of water evaporated, about 1000 calories are burned.

OP
N

narouz

Excellent, Peata.

Thyroid, or thyroid surrogates.
(And what are those?
Salt is one, maybe?
Calcium? Magnesium?)

OP
N

narouz

I think baking soda.
That's probably just the sodium.
But what about CO2?

Peata

from Salt, Energy, Metabolic Rate, and Longevity:

Protein, salt, thyroid, and progesterone happen to be thermogenic, increasing heat production and stabilizing body temperature at a higher level.

The thermogenic substances--dietary protein, sodium, sucrose, thyroid and progesterone--are antiinflammatory for many reasons, but very likely the increased temperature itself is important.

OP
N

narouz

Yeah,
although maybe it needs to be the right kind of protein?
Eating a lot of muscle meat...maybe not pro-metabolic...?

Several have attested to shrimp as a heat instigator.

Here's a confusing one:
Starch.
I'm thinking it does indeed produce heat,
but...problematic.
Like throwing a big stack of balsa wood on a fire.

Jennifer

Calcium and a good calcium to phosphorus ratio?

I was just looking over the transcript of the KMUD Phosphate and Calcium Metabolism interview with Ray and I found something he said interesting in regards to that William Brown fat-free experiment. I notice people tend to focus on the lack of PUFA/fat in the diet being the reason for why it was successful, but Ray points out that it was a high calcium diet with a 1.3 to 1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus:

"Sarah: So a calcium-deficient diet is really bad?

Peat: Yea, in fact the tone of the small arteries is very responsive to calcium, so if you're low in calcium, your blood pressure goes up and for about 30 years David McCarron has been saying it's not sodium that causes high blood pressure, it's calcium deficiency, so eating extra calcium can often cure hypertension or avoiding excess phosphate in the diet or a good ratio, for example one of the things that started getting me interested in phosphate was looking at the fat-free diet that George Burr and a group did in the 1930s, they believed that unsaturated fatty acids were nutritionally essential so one of their group, William Brown, went on a 6-month fat-free where his diet consisted of nothing but a total of 2500 calories a day made up of basically sugar, syrup for several meals and for supper fat-free cottage cheese with a small potato starch biscuit and half an orange. So basically it was a sugar and milk diet, a gallon total of milk, some of it made into cottage cheese for his dinner, for 6 months. He had chronically life-long migraines headaches every week and at work he experienced a normal amount of fatiuge at the end of the day and he had hypertension, 150 over a 100 sometimes, his cholesterol was 250 and he was about 10 pounds overweight but a few months into his diet, the sugar and milk diet, his cholesterol had come down about 50 points, his weight stabilized about 10 pounds lower, his blood pressure came down to normal and he never again had migraine headaches.
One of the things they kept talking about in the article was that surprisingly at the end of the day he wasn't tired.

Sarah: So the fat-free diet was actually good for him?

Peat: Yea but it was a high-calcium diet essentially with that ratio of 1.3 to 1 of calcium to phosphorus and several years a group at the Linus Pauling institute wrote a review of um, the importance of uh, avoiding fructose I think was their point, they cited the study where I think 10 or 11 men were put on a diet emphasizing sugar I think they used decaffeinated coke with HFCS as the main carbohydrate, every meal had a cola drink and for some reason they knowing a human requires 400mg of magnesium everyday, they put these men on 165mg, they were wanting to prove a fructose diet would cause derangement of the mineral metabolism and in fact, it did, but in a very surprising way. On a magnesium deficient diet, these men went into a positive magnesium balance, meaning that some part of their body was retaining a little extra bit of magnesium everyday, like they were growing, also it retained a little extra calcium like they were growing but the derangement caused by the phosphate was a slight loss of phosphate everyday, it went into a negative phosphate balance and to do that, you can account for increasing calcium and magnesium while losing phosphate, I think only if they were turning over their bones and young bone is formed, formed from carbon dioxide and calcium, calcium carbonate as the first bone which is then replaced with phosphate during aging, so they were losing phosphate while gaining magnesium and calcium, I think that meant they were building new bone."

Jennifer

narouz said:
Yeah,

Here's a confusing one:
Starch.
but...problematic.
Stress hormones can raise temps so starch may be creating heat by way of that mechanism. I think Ray has mentioned this, if I remember correctly.

Peata

narouz said:
Yeah,

Here's a confusing one:
Starch.
but...problematic.

I thought I read Peat says starch raises temps because it raises cortisol, so it's not the same as fruit/sugar heat.

(saw your post right after I made mine, Jennifer. high five)

For protein, I believe he favors dairy, gelatin, shellfish. Gelatinous meats. That cooked potato juice if you care to make it. Occasional eggs.

OP
N

narouz

Yeah Jennifer.
You know I've been all about the calcium:phosphate thing recently.
Seems like Peat has said that all the "alkaline minerals"
can substitute for thyroid...?
To some extent, anyhow?
I could well be wrong about this.

What about aspirin and niacinamide?

OP
N

narouz

Peata said:
Building muscle should help too.

Yeah.
I think so.
I believe I experienced this a couple years ago
when I started exercising a bit after a long lull.
Peatish exercise, of course!

Lately, with my back improving,
I've just started experimenting with exercise again.

Peat says it rouses the mitochondria, energizes them.

OP
N

narouz

Here's a strange one I've noticed:
blood donation.
Sometimes after I donate blood my temps/pulse really increase for a couple of days.
So much so that I have had to stop taking my thyroid supps.

Jennifer

Oy! I made some cooked potato juice last week and it's almost black in color. I filtered it through a coffee filter so it's crystal clear and it tastes ok, that is if you like potato juice, but it really does look unappetizing. And it only took me a whole afternoon to make. :roll:

Did we mention caffeine yet?

tara

+
- keep warm
- avoid overexercise (some movement is good - what is good and what is too much varies from person to person, but marathons are probably hard on everyone's metabolism)
- enough sleep
-sunlight and/or red light
- bag breathing etc to raise CO2?

sunmountain

I don't understand how starch raises cortisol, if a small amount of starch is eaten along with protein and carbs and a little fat.

Jennifer

sunmountain said:
I don't understand how starch raises cortisol, if a small amount of starch is eaten along with protein and carbs and a little fat.
In Ray's view, I'm thinking it might be due to feeding bacteria that can cause endotoxins/intestinal inflammation and thus stress hormones. Or maybe even the persorption issue contributes, though that might of been with raw starch only?

Here's what he wrote me this past February:

"Low cholesterol can be caused by intestinal inflammation, and starches are a common cause. Sweet potatoes are effective promoters of bacterial growth, rice and potatoes can cause gas especially if they aren't well cooked."

If you digest starch well and don't suffer any reactions to it, I personally wouldn't worry about it.