Katharina Dalton: The Dietary "musts" For Improving Progesterone (Hint: No Low Carb, No Starvation)

denise

I though those interested in K. Dalton might want to listen to this interview with Peat where he talks about her using P injections for women with PMS, and also for these women when they got pregnant, and that the average IQ of the babies born after getting massive P injections was 30 points higher than without. ! The K. Dalton section starts around minute 32.

OP
P

PakPik

I though those interested in K. Dalton might want to listen to this interview with Peat where he talks about her using P injections for women with PMS, and also for these women when they got pregnant, and that the average IQ of the babies born after getting massive P injections was 30 points higher than without. ! The K. Dalton section starts around minute 32.
Thank you, denise. It was from Peat that I first heard about K. Dalton. Her work was amazing, and she mentions the IQ subject in her book.

Bluebell

I'm quite interested to try this. I'm thinking small amounts of well-cooked porridge or potato, or some rice pudding with a little honey. I seem to do well on these starches anyway and splitting it up into more frequent feedings would be quite easy. Anyone else doing this, and what are your starchy snacks?

InChristAlone

I've been doing good with bananas, oats, and juice. Baked potatoes are the worst though for regulating blood sugar unless in the context of a balanced meal.

SQu

I have, October - December, about to restart when my routine settles again. I was surprised to find it worked beautifully as I'd had starch issues before. I chose potato mainly, for the potassium, keto acids and good salt vehicle. But others for variety. Eg home made bread and marmalade; mashed potato and grated cheese or poached egg; or with the grated carrot salad because the timings run into each other. I like all these things so much that I don't need anything more complicated. And I haven't really worked out whether no fat with it is a problem or not, (used to be, maybe not anymore) but usually have a little in case.

Bluebell

Nice ideas and thanks for the potato tip. I'm thinking maybe combine the potato with a little cheese (baked mashed potato/cheese balls).

Home made bread and marmalade sounds good! Is that wheat bread? I might buy a supermarket gluten-free bread (maize/rice flour based).

Carrot salad with a glass of milk, that would be nice too.

SQu

It's even better toasted, with a smidge of butter, and if the marmalade is Seville orange! Yes, wheat bread. My previous starch issues were blood sugar ones, not intolerances, but the no knead overnight ferment method I think lowers the gluten. Cheese and potato tastes great though I probably don't have enough for the calcium and protein to add up to much. Trying not to have too much fat...

OP
P

PakPik

My starch sources are centered on wild yam and white rice. I usually accompany the starch with a glass of milk or a glass of orange juice. Only one of the snacks/meals is accompanied by cheese instead, in order to keep my fat intake lowish. I try not to do starch close to bedtime, though, to avoid possible endotoxin surge... my last snack is either milk with honey or fruit/fruit juice.

I also don't do starch when I take a very quick snack (snack between snacks) - I just eat same fruit or some milk and honey-.

Last edited:

superhuman

I cant understand why she says having starch snacks every 3 hours instead of fruit. There is nothing more superior for snacking food then fruit and it will also generate a much better blood sugar response and all that jazz. which should be perfect for what she is trying to achieve with it.

amethyst

I've been eating this way and really feel great. Small meals thru out the day. No blood sugar crashes.

SQu

I'm also surprised but after years of trying sugar all I can say is, the starch works better for me. It's calming, warming, and easier to go low fat with. I started starch after not getting anywhere with the sugar approach, then read tyw's fructose posts, thought it would combine well with Katharina Dalton's 3 hourly interval. I've lost some weight too but will hold off on that update till I have a decent amount to report.

OP
P

PakPik

I cant understand why she says having starch snacks every 3 hours instead of fruit. There is nothing more superior for snacking food then fruit and it will also generate a much better blood sugar response and all that jazz. which should be perfect for what she is trying to achieve with it.
@superhuman
So far I haven't read in her book any explanation for her emphasis on starch. However, she does instruct to eat lots of fruit, so she definitely knows the value of fruit. My suspicion based on my experience and on other's is that she may have designed the diet that way because:

1) It's SO hard to eat enough carb-derived calories from fruit alone; a person literally has to eat entire baskets of fruit daily, which may not be realistic to a lot of people due to cost or fruit availability. It's also so much easier to get a full stomach on fruit meals since they contain so much water, whilst not ingesting enough calories. Starches don't have those "problems": more calorie dense, more available and cheaper.
2) Many women have trouble managing blood sugar after a high fruit meal since fruit is more rapidly absorbed than starch. Now, it could be argued that in the context of a balanced meal this possible spike should not be a problem. But starch has a tendency to be more "slow-release" so maybe Katharina Dalton was playing it safe there? (she was all about maintaining excellent blood sugar regulation and excellent sugar availability to cells at all times).

@Xisca , @Peata , @SQu , @amethyst
Thanks for sharing your experience. Seems you all have had very positive results. I must say this approach has been spot on for me. It's not a cure whatsoever (though for a few ladies it may as well be), but more like a foundation , a "must" have in order to be able to improve in other areas, just like K. Dalton explained.

Last edited:

amethyst

@superhuman
So far I haven't read in her book any explanation for her emphasis on starch. However, she does instruct to eat lots of fruit, so she definitely knows the value of fruit. My suspicion based on my experience and on other's is that she may have designed the diet that way because:

1) It's SO hard to eat enough carb-derived calories from fruit alone; a person literally has to eat entire baskets of fruit daily, which may not be realistic to a lot of people due to cost or fruit availability. It's also so much easier to get a full stomach on fruit meals since they contain so much water, whilst not ingesting enough calories. Starches don't have those "problems": more calorie dense, more available and cheaper.
2) Many women have trouble managing blood sugar after a high fruit meal since fruit is more rapidly absorbed than starch. Now, it could be argued that in the context of a balanced meal this possible spike should not be a problem. But starch has a tendency to be more "slow-release" so maybe Katharina Dalton was playing it safe there? (she was all about maintaining excellent blood sugar regulation and excellent sugar availability to cells at all times).

Thanks for sharing your experience. Seems you all have had very positive results. I must say this approach has been spot on for me. It's not a cure whatsoever (though for a few ladies it may as well be), but more like a foundation , a "must" have in order to be able to improve in other areas, just like K. Dalton explained.
I actually do fine with a fruit meal. For example, at breakfast. Then I usually follow it up with some protein, some fat etc. about 1/2 an hour later. I like to eat my fruit separately from the other foods. But it definitely makes a difference eating more (smaller) meals thru out the day.

InChristAlone

@superhuman

Not all starch is slow releasing. A plain baked potato is rapidly turned to glucose, it has a high GI. Al Dente pasta would be a slower starch. And I seem to do well with it. White bread is similar to potatoes.

OP
P

PakPik

Not all starch is slow releasing. A plain baked potato is rapidly turned to glucose, it has a high GI. Al Dente pasta would be a slower starch. And I seem to do well with it. White bread is similar to potatoes.
Yes, you are right, some starches are rapidly digested. But if I am not wrong, they generally are more slow-release than fruits.
I actually do fine with a fruit meal. For example, at breakfast. Then I usually follow it up with some protein, some fat etc. about 1/2 an hour later. I like to eat my fruit separately from the other foods.
Same here. I eat fruit separately, usually 1/2 - 1 hr before a full snack.

InChristAlone

It depends many whole fruits have a low GI. Watermelon and dates would be 2 with a high GI. Juice is in the middle along with many grains. But have to look at glucose load as well, watermelon has never been an issue for me. But a baked potato can give me dysregulated blood sugar.

OP
P

PakPik

It depends many whole fruits have a low GI. Watermelon and dates would be 2 with a high GI. Juice is in the middle along with many grains. But have to look at glucose load as well, watermelon has never been an issue for me. But a baked potato can give me dysregulated blood sugar.
Yeah. I think the fiber component is relevant to those different effects. I also think that the carbohydrate density plays a big role: a large portion of watermelon is so low in carbs, while a moderate portion of say baked potato contains a lot of carb calories. So the carbohydrate density may be another reason why a baked potato may be more sugar dysregulating to some people (much more sugar in one sitting). Just my thoughts.

Bluebell

I have started having breakfast very soon after waking (v. well cooked oats, fruit, milk). It's only been 2 days but I've noticed an increased feeling of well being vs. fasting for a few hours before solid food.

InChristAlone

Yes I find the faster I get food in the better I feel that day. The slower I am of getting out of bed the worse my day goes. So She is totally right that we should not fast for long periods of time.

OP
P

PakPik

I have started having breakfast very soon after waking (v. well cooked oats, fruit, milk). It's only been 2 days but I've noticed an increased feeling of well being vs. fasting for a few hours before solid food.

Yes I find the faster I get food in the better I feel that day. The slower I am of getting out of bed the worse my day goes. So She is totally right that we should not fast for long periods of time.

After many back and forths with the breakfast subject, it turned out to be the same for me. The day has a much better "prognosis" :) the earlier I wake up and the sooner I eat a balanced meal . Yay for such a simple intervention!