Kale Broth

btomczak

Maybe a dumb question, but its pretty much just the water that the kale is cooked in right? Sooo put a bunch of kale in a crock pot, add water, and cook for a few hours??? Im not to interested in actually eating the kale itself.. its a tad gross in my opinion....

narouz

btomczak said:
Maybe a dumb question, but its pretty much just the water that the kale is cooked in right? Sooo put a bunch of kale in a crock pot, add water, and cook for a few hours??? Im not to interested in actually eating the kale itself.. its a tad gross in my opinion....

It's a good question--wondered about it myself.
For starters, I've heard Peat say that cooking at least reduces the anti-metabolic properties.
I'm not sure if it entirely negates it.
But I believe I've heard him indicate that it's at least not much of a problem after cooking.

I know you're not inclined, but if one did eat the thoroughly cooked kale itself
I would imagine the only bad thing would be the fiber--providing a place for bacteria to grow.
Would eating some butter or saturated fat with that help--with the fiber I mean?
This is another point of confusion for me:
does the saturated fat just make starch less harmful, or does it also make the fiber less harmful?

And for that matter: does long cooking make fiber less harmful, or is that just in regard to starch?

I also don't know the ideal cooking time.
Could the Vitamin K or other nutrients be degraded by cooking past a certain point?

So...I'm afraid all I've been able to do is produce more questions! :lol:

Swandattur

Hey, I just found out baby kale soup is very good! I added a little salt and some eggs stirred in. So, it's like egg drop soup. It also could be made with broth minus fat from chicken, but histamines or something from longer cooked things give me a problem. Since it's baby kale, I cooked it maybe ten or fifteen minutes.

sm1693

Yall are prob cooking way too long. The longer you cook, the more oxalic and phytic acids end up in the solution. Stopping at the initial boil produces a broth just barely green and lacking strong taste or odor.

Yall are prob cooking way too long. The longer you cook, the more oxalic and phytic acids end up in the solution. Stopping at the initial boil produces a broth just barely green and lacking strong taste or odor.
:sad I probably cooked it about 30 min.

Many people seem to think that it's good to cook the shite out of it.

sm1693

I guess folks could have different reasons for consuming it. I was guided by RPs thinking of using it only for minerals, and I think the minerals fall into solution relatively easy. It might not even need to go to boil.

I think i'll stick to making some kale broth once in a while. Although it isn't a exactly party to drink, it isn't like really really bad. Makes me feel good. :)
I put raw cane sugar in it to make it go down a bit easier. :D

sm1693

I try to stay guided by my senses, and the low cooked form is immeasurably more palatable. I can also sense the calcium and magnesium intake, which was my primary goal.

ddjd

apparantly you can add calcium carbonate to bind and neutralise the oxalic acid