Just One (1) Tablespoon Of Gelatin Daily Is Enough To Improve Joint Health

haidut

Forum Supporter
A human study, and as such very relevant. The current "kind" of joint supplements on mainstream TV is undoubtedly glucosamine. Very little evidence is available to support the claims behind this heavily advertised supplement. On the other hand, gelatin (and glycine) have over 100 years of research behind them showing benefits for joint and overall bone health. I recently posted this study about low dose glycine benefitting greatly bone health.
Low-dose Glycine As A Treatment For Menopause, Osteoporosis, Obesity

This more recent study used actual plain gelatin as a supplement and measured biomarkers of collagen synthesis in joints. The dose that worked best was 15g x 3 daily (45g total daily dose) for just 3 days. However, one of the groups consumed 5g x 3 daily for 3 days and also experienced beneficial effect. So, even 1 tbsp. gelatin taken with every meal for 3 days can significantly improve joint health. For more severe cases, the 15g x 3 daily may be needed but considering just 3 days of supplementation was sufficient for effects to be seen that should not be much of a "compliance" hassle for most people.

Vitamin C–enriched gelatin supplementation before intermittent activity augments collagen synthesis
"...With the beneficial effects of gelatin supplementation in vitro, we next performed a human study using a serum marker of collagen synthesis during a 72-h supplementation and exercise program. For all 3 treatment groups, PINP concentrations at baseline were 27.9 6 4 ng/mL. The repeated bouts of 6 min of rope-skipping interspaced with 6 h of rest resulted in an increase in the amount of the amino-terminal propeptide of collagen I in the placebo (53.9%) and 5-g gelatin (59.2%) groups (Figure 5A). In the 15g gelatin treatment group, there was a further significant increase (153%) in PINP at 4 h (P , 0.05; Figure 5A). The doubling of PINP concentrations at 4 h was maintained throughout the whole 72 h of treatment. Supplementing with 15 g gelatin resulted in a doubling of the AUC for PINP compared with time (Figure 5B)."

Gelatin supplements, good for your joints? - Egghead

"...Baar, Greg Shaw at the Australian Institute of Sport, and colleagues enrolled eight health young men in a trial of a gelatin supplement enhanced with vitamin C. The volunteers drank the supplement and had blood taken, and after one hour performed a short (five minute) bout of high-impact exercise (skipping). The researchers tested the blood for amino acids that could build up the collagen protein that composes tendons, ligaments, and bones. They also tested blood samples for their effect on Baar’s lab-grown ligaments at UC Davis. The gelatin supplement increased blood levels of amino acids and markers linked to collagen synthesis, and improved the mechanics of the engineered lab-grown ligaments, they found. “These data suggest that adding gelatin and vitamin C to an intermittent exercise program could play a beneficial role in injury prevention and tissue repair,” the researchers wrote. Read the paper here. The work was funded by the National Institute on Aging (NIH) and the Australian Institute of Sport."

Last edited:

belcanto

Thank you for posting this; I always this of gelatin for joints and ligaments, but to find out it's good for bones too is a plus!

I make a lot of panna cotta (Italian milk gelatin); I'm going to have to find an Orange Julius recipe and make gelatin out of it so I can get the vitamin C along with it. :D:D

DrJ

My own experience reflects this. Long standing knee issues went away and squatting became much more natural.

grenade

Haidut,

Do you think consuming pure glycine (at least 4+grams per day) would replicate these results?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut,

Do you think consuming pure glycine (at least 4+grams per day) would replicate these results?

Did you look at the study on glycine in my original thread?

grenade

Did you look at the study on glycine in my original thread?

Lol whoops, I just did! But in terms of not only releasing estrogen and helping bone health (in which glycine did in that one study ... ), but aiding in connective tissue repair - is there evidence that glycine would?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lol whoops, I just did! But in terms of not only releasing estrogen and helping bone health (in which glycine did in that one study ... ), but aiding in connective tissue repair - is there evidence that glycine would?

Never heard of a chemical that can aid bone growth but not aid collagen health/strength as well. There isn't much different between the two. Bone is about 30% collagen so the effects of glycine on bone strength are probably due to its effects on collagen (and steroids).

grenade

Never heard of a chemical that can aid bone growth but not aid collagen health/strength as well. There isn't much different between the two. Bone is about 30% collagen so the effects of glycine on bone strength are probably due to its effects on collagen (and steroids).

Excellent - thanks Haidut!

cdan1

There is about 9 grams in 1 tablespoon of plain gelatin powder is there not?

cdan1

A human study, and as such very relevant. The current "kind" of joint supplements on mainstream TV is undoubtedly glucosamine. Very little evidence is available to support the claims behind this heavily advertised supplement. On the other hand, gelatin (and glycine) have over 100 years of research behind them showing benefits for joint and overall bone health. I recently posted this study about low dose glycine benefitting greatly bone health.

This more recent study used actual plain gelatin as a supplement and measured biomarkers of collagen synthesis in joints. The dose used was 15g daily for just 3 days.

Vitamin C–enriched gelatin supplementation before intermittent activity augments collagen synthesis
"...With the beneficial effects of gelatin supplementation in vitro, we next performed a human study using a serum marker of collagen synthesis during a 72-h supplementation and exercise program. For all 3 treatment groups, PINP concentrations at baseline were 27.9 6 4 ng/mL. The repeated bouts of 6 min of rope-skipping interspaced with 6 h of rest resulted in an increase in the amount of the amino-terminal propeptide of collagen I in the placebo (53.9%) and 5-g gelatin (59.2%) groups (Figure 5A). In the 15g gelatin treatment group, there was a further significant increase (153%) in PINP at 4 h (P , 0.05; Figure 5A). The doubling of PINP concentrations at 4 h was maintained throughout the whole 72 h of treatment. Supplementing with 15 g gelatin resulted in a doubling of the AUC for PINP compared with time (Figure 5B)."

"...Baar, Greg Shaw at the Australian Institute of Sport, and colleagues enrolled eight health young men in a trial of a gelatin supplement enhanced with vitamin C. The volunteers drank the supplement and had blood taken, and after one hour performed a short (five minute) bout of high-impact exercise (skipping). The researchers tested the blood for amino acids that could build up the collagen protein that composes tendons, ligaments, and bones. They also tested blood samples for their effect on Baar’s lab-grown ligaments at UC Davis. The gelatin supplement increased blood levels of amino acids and markers linked to collagen synthesis, and improved the mechanics of the engineered lab-grown ligaments, they found. “These data suggest that adding gelatin and vitamin C to an intermittent exercise program could play a beneficial role in injury prevention and tissue repair,” the researchers wrote. Read the paper here. The work was funded by the National Institute on Aging (NIH) and the Australian Institute of Sport."

@haidut
Just to note. I recently reviewed this study and found that it was not 15 grams per day. It was 15 grams every 6 hours 3 times per day for 3 days.

Beastmode

This more recent study used actual plain gelatin as a supplement and measured biomarkers of collagen synthesis in joints. The dose used was 15g daily for just 3 days.

I had a client who always complained of joint like pain (i.e- back, hips, etc.) After suggesting great lakes gelatin in the morning (1 tbs in coffee,) he woke up the next day without any of the pain he had been experiencing for years. He was so convinced of the gelatin, he didn't miss a day of it for at least a year.

He smoked cigars daily, had alcohol daily, ate out at steakhouses weekly, etc. Interesting how 1 little tweak in the diet can create some significant changes in some people.

cdan1

I had a client who always complained of joint like pain (i.e- back, hips, etc.) After suggesting great lakes gelatin in the morning (1 tbs in coffee,) he woke up the next day without any of the pain he had been experiencing for years. He was so convinced of the gelatin, he didn't miss a day of it for at least a year.

He smoked cigars daily, had alcohol daily, ate out at steakhouses weekly, etc. Interesting how 1 little tweak in the diet can create some significant changes in some people.

Ray Peat mentioned very similar thing in his gelatin article. Think he said 10-15 grams per day.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
Just to note. I recently reviewed this study and found that it was not 15 grams per day. It was 15 grams every 6 hours 3 times per day for 3 days.

Yes, you are right. However, one of the groups did 5g x 3 daily and also experienced benefits. I will change the original thread to mention the 2 groups.

cdan1

Yes, you are right. However, one of the groups did 5g x 3 daily and also experienced benefits. I will change the original thread to mention the 2 groups.

The one thing that was unclear for me was the amount used testing the ligament specimen. I dont think it was possible to determine the dose equivalent from that part of the experiment or that it may not be relevant.

cdan1

Would gelatin be a better alternative than Cosequin for our four-legged friends?

Cartrophen Vet or also known as Pentosan Polysulfate.
If you have horses or pets this is the best for joint health. It has had great success in humans as well but more sparingly.
New Zealand and Australia is the origin of the drug so its less heard of here. I know bodybuilders have also dabbled with it.
Only catch is that it is an injectable drug.

jzeno

What's a good way to enjoy gelatin besides the obvious 'drink it in coffee' or jello. Any other good ways to enjoy it that are uncommon?

Thanks

What's a good way to enjoy gelatin besides the obvious 'drink it in coffee' or jello. Any other good ways to enjoy it that are uncommon?

Thanks

You could add it to soups or gravy, or drink it with warm milk.

Or perhaps just add enough water to dissolve it, then pour it onto a steak or ice cream and 'eat' it as part of the meal.

cdan1

2 tablespoon gelatin add a bit cold water quickly and stir it so clumps are evident. Than add 4-6 oz hot water and stir. What your left with is perfect liquid drink that you can drink. I would advise having it on an empty stomach just because these were the conditions used in the study and also how collagen peptide supplements are advised to be used for joint and tissue health.