Just Learned That Ray Peat Has A Brother

I was checking out the interview on KMUD with Peat and the "On The Back Of A Tiger" directors, and Peat mentions a brother of his:

Andrew Murray: What do you have to say about Dr. Michael Persinger from your experience and/or your work? Where has he led you if anywhere in his journey?

RAY PEAT: Well, my interest in fields went way back. My brother was a radio ham and had lot of electronic equipment from, I guess, the age of nine or so had the opportunity to play with. And so the electrical properties of all of my acquaintances seeing how ageing had affected the conductivity and so on kept me constantly aware of the electrical magnetic properties of organisms. And in 1968, I went to Russia largely to talk to a man working in what he called a magnetobiology as opposed to biomagnetics. He concentrated on the effects of fields on organisms rather than the fields produced by the organism. And one of my very first experiments at the university after I got back was with a strong magnet that my brother made for me and looking at it’s effect on a crab nerve and I could see that just the presence of a strong magnetic field apparently affected interpreted it as affecting the structure of the water.
Source:
Ray Peat
The mp3 of the interview is also linked here: KMUD: 7-17-15 On The Back Of A Tiger

I thought that was an interesting piece of trivia because I recall he had mentioned his parents before in interviews.

EDIT: It also looks like he mentioned his brother in this newsletter: Moles, DHEA, Etc

"In his mid-50s, my brother mentioned that he was getting a mole-like spot on his forehead. When I told him about my experience, and that I thought oral DHEA might have been responsible for the mole's disappearance, he applied a concentrated solution of DHEA in vitamin E directly onto the mole. A day or two later, he noticed a spot of blood on his pillow, and had his doctor cut the thing off, because of fear that bleeding signalled a malignant change."

theLaw

He has a brother and a girlfriend. Already been posted here.

This has lowered him somewhat in my estimation. It is like learning that Jesus had a wife.

Human, all too human.

haidut

Forum Supporter
And in 1968, I went to Russia

I would be very interested to learn how he managed to pull this off. An American could not simply travel to Russia back at the height of the Cold War. The Russians must have seen some of his work/writings and decided there is a "friendly", at least scientifically. He talks a lot about his life in Mexico, but I think it would be very interesting to ask him in one of these interviews about his experience in Russia. If he was being shadowed by CIA in Mexico just for teaching at an unknown college, imagine what the experience must have been in Russia or after he came back.

Mauritio

I would be very interested to learn how he managed to pull this off. An American could not simply travel to Russia back at the height of the Cold War. The Russians must have seen some of his work/writings and decided there is a "friendly", at least scientifically. He talks a lot about his life in Mexico, but I think it would be very interesting to ask him in one of these interviews about his experience in Russia. If he was being shadowed by CIA in Mexico just for teaching at an unknown college, imagine what the experience must have been in Russia or after he came back.
Sounds like a good topic for one of the next interviews for Danny with Ray Peat!

schultz

He mentioned that he travelled there by boat.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sounds like a good topic for one of the next interviews for Danny with Ray Peat!

You read my mind, I emailed him about that minutes before you responded :):

haidut

Forum Supporter
He mentioned that he travelled there by boat.

That would make it even harder and more suspicious to both US/USSR authorities, so now I am that much more interested in hearing about it :):

Peatful

Mauritio

You read my mind, I emailed him about that minutes before you responded :):
Yess , am looking forward to hearing that!:)

I always imagined him having an evil twin brother who promoted PUFAs and a low-protein diet. Perhaps named "Pay Rate" or something.

Interviewer: But didn't you say somewhere that canola oil was the perfect food?
Ray Peat: Oh, uh, no that would be my evil twin brother.

lampofred

I always imagined him having an evil twin brother who promoted PUFAs and a low-protein diet. Perhaps named "Pay Rate" or something.

lmaooo imagining this made me laugh so hard

Lilac

Someone, somewhere (I think it was Danny Roddy) asked Ray if he was fluent in Russian. He said no, but to me it sounded like the usual Peat understatement. I bet he was near fluent!

Lee Simeon

Lol, this was the funniest thing I have read all day!