Just can’t control Appetite - Help Please

Perry Staltic

What are you doing with 400g of chocolate (candy?) in the house? Get all the crap food out of your house. Purge the pantry. Don't buy more bad for you stuff.

That's the only way it works sometimes. I have a problem with chocolate and have to not buy it and keep it out of the house to be safe. Otherwise it eats me alive.

whole milk
full fat cheese
lots of starch

this suppresses appetite and restores blood sugar to normal levels (unless you are already type 2 diabetic).

InChristAlone

Thank you. I was always under the impression that the grapefruit was helping me detox estrogen…forcing myself to eat it thinking it was doing me good…

I’ve been avoiding PUFA for a very long time. I also use coconut oil for cooking.

Frozen vegetables are broccoli/carrot/green beans/sweetcorn. I’m trying to include them in my diet so I stop eating breads.

I know a persons diet can vary, but could you please just give me an idea what you eat on a typical day?

I managed to lose about 100lbs through mainly calorie restriction as I was very overweight. However I went through a stressful situation last year, and was put on a SSRI and anti psychotic drug. I also had to take the double dose vaccine in a short space of time because I needed to travel. I’ve since come of the drugs, but I’m still dealing with the damage. I’ve also put on all the 100lbs back on now which I lost.
This is extremely bad for the body. Losing weight thru dieting then gaining it all back is really stressful for the metabolism. Not that you should have lost 100 lbs to begin with. Forcing weight loss is never sustainable. Eating veggies in place of bread is only sustainable so long as you ALwAYs avoid bread as soon as you eat it again it will all come back. I've watched this happen to my mother in law. Crash dieting because she has a very hearty appetite, then goes off the diet gains it all back and now she's going thru a later life crisis and is crash dieting again. Zero carbs. She lost a lot of weight but I know for a fact she would gain every single lb back if she started consuming carbs again. How sustainable is it to avoid the food you want for the rest of your life? Gosh that kind of willpower must be huge.

Yes with potatoes I was worried about consuming the starch, as I’ve read starch is not good for a person trying to lose weight. If I boil the potatoes and then drain, that will get rid of the starch, but also a lot of other nutrients?
I suggested it because, for example, drinking 400g of sugar would be less satiating for me than 200g of potatoes. Eating a lot of chocolate is also not good for a person losing weight, so potatoes would be an upgrade; they would at least be a better carb source than broccoli or corn, that's for sure. I would peel and boil potatoes.

starch is VERY good for losing weight, when it's coupled with some good saturated fat, a lot of saturated fat, 30% / 50% / 20% Fat/Carbs/Protein calories

It's nonsense that you can't lose fat with starch.

neu4

Potatoes but not that much.
Added fat like cheese, olives and olive oil works great.

mostlylurking

I’ve been avoiding PUFA for a very long time. I also use coconut oil for cooking.
Do you consume olive oil? It's about 12% pufa. I was eating too much olive oil. Peat suggests using maybe a half teaspoon a day which made me realize the olive oil was a problem for me. The foods to avoid that contain pufa are: nuts, seeds (including corn and beans), pork, chicken. It's ok to eat chicken if you cook it in water, remove the skin, bones, etc. Add some gelatin (the kind that gels) to the very hot strained broth, refrigerate, scrape off all the fat on top of the gelled broth and discard it. Now you can safely use the chicken and broth in a recipe.
Thank you. I was always under the impression that the grapefruit was helping me detox estrogen…forcing myself to eat it thinking it was doing me good…
That's the common belief. You'd be amazed at all the common beliefs that are simply not true. I used to eat a lot of grapefruit, with avocados! and a tasty honey/garlic/olive oil salad dressing. I thought that was healthy but I was killing myself.
Frozen vegetables are broccoli/carrot/green beans/sweetcorn. I’m trying to include them in my diet so I stop eating breads.
Broccoli blocks thyroid function (it's goitrogenic). Green beans are pretty starchy but may be ok if they are super over cooked (about 30 minutes at least). Sweet corn (yum) is too starchy + that's where pufa comes from (corn oil). If you don't have bread in the house it's easier to avoid it.
I know a persons diet can vary, but could you please just give me an idea what you eat on a typical day?
First thing, I drink 12 oz of OJ with vitamins & other supplements added to it plus a cup of hot mint tea with a little sugar, cream, and rounded 1/8 cup hydrolized gelatin. I take my 135 mg of prescription thyroid first with the OJ.
9:00am: I eat a raw carrot.
10:00am: 1gram of thiamine hcl dissolved in water with 90mg niacinamide and 90mg riboflavin.
11:00 a milk shake with 16oz milk, some frozen fruit (NOT the store bought frozen fruit - it's always too green), 1tablespoon fructose, heaping 1/8cup of hydrolized gelatin, a couple of egg yolks. OR I cook a frittata with eggs, cooked mushrooms, a few kalamata olives, some sauted onions, some sheep feta cheese, a little mozzarella, finished with a little organic pizza sauce.
around 3:00pm I'll eat a can of smoked oysters, or some liver with shallots cooked with port & topped with reggiano parmesean, or some sauted shrimp & onions, or some crab cooked with butter if I've got it.
around 4:00 I have the thiamine/niacinamide/riboflavin in water again.
around 6:00 I'll have another milk shake.
around 9:00pm my husband finally comes in from working outside and we have vanilla milk with gelatin and eat oranges while we watch Jeopardy reruns.
around 10:00pm I have more orange juice with some supplements.

I don't know how many calories that is, I never counted. I usually get hungry about 45 minutes after taking the thiamine so that triggers me eating something. I try to not buy things I'm not supposed to eat. I spend a great deal of time reading the ingredients labels and then I put things back on the shelf and keep walking. If you can't pronounce it, don't put it in your mouth.

Sometimes I cook my husband a real dinner with meat and the sides. I've done this several times recently so right now I feel pretty horrible and my gut is messed up. Writing all this down has been helpful, I've made the connection why I feel crappy; thank you. I'll get back on the straight and narrow.

My first run in with a near death experience and crawling my way back to reasonable health status via detoxing and strict diet was in 1993; I've been at this a while. I found Ray Peat in 2014 after being stricken with rheumatoid arthritis; Peat's diet advice has been extremely helpful.

If I have a burning desire to have something starchy, I'll eat a baked potato with butter and sour cream; I don't eat the skin.
I managed to lose about 100lbs through mainly calorie restriction as I was very overweight. However I went through a stressful situation last year, and was put on a SSRI and anti psychotic drug. I also had to take the double dose vaccine in a short space of time because I needed to travel. I’ve since come of the drugs, but I’m still dealing with the damage. I’ve also put on all the 100lbs back on now which I lost.
Pharmaceutical drugs are pretty horrible; I think they do it on purpose so they will have repeat customers.

SSRIs increase serotonin. Been there, done that. Terrible stuff. I was on them for over 12 years.
Here's an article:

I'm not going to go into the "Vaccine", but vaccines in general are very bad due to what they put in them, like heavy metals and other toxins.

Yes with potatoes I was worried about consuming the starch, as I’ve read starch is not good for a person trying to lose weight. If I boil the potatoes and then drain, that will get rid of the starch, but also a lot of other nutrients?
Starch is not good for a person trying to lose weight. Actually, Ray Peat makes a pretty good case for starch not being very good for anybody and if you do consume it then have it with lots of fat which will slow down the entry of all that glucose going straight into your veins which will trigger insulin release which will pack that glucose into fat storage.

"“Professional opinion” can be propagated about 10,000 times faster than research can evaluate it, or, as C. H. Spurgeon said, "A lie travels round the world while Truth is putting on her boots."

In the 1970s, dietitians began talking about the value of including "complex carbohydrates" in the diet. Many dietitians (all but one of the Registered Dietitians that I knew of) claimed that starches were more slowly absorbed than sugars, and so should be less disruptive to the blood sugar and insulin levels. People were told to eat whole grains and legumes, and to avoid fruit juices.

These recommendations, and their supporting ideology, are still rampant in the culture of the United States, fostered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association and innumerable university departments of home economics, dietetics, or nutrition.

Judging by present and past statements of the American Dietetic Association, I think some kind of institutional brain defect might account for their recommendations. Although the dietetic association now feebly acknowledges that sugars don't raise the blood sugar more quickly than starches do, they can't get away from their absurd old recommendations, which were never scientifically justified: “Eat more starches, such as bread, cereal, and starchy vegetables--6 servings a day or more. Start the day with cold (dry) cereal with nonfat/skim milk or a bagel with one teaspoon of jelly/jam. Put starch center stage--pasta with tomato sauce, baked potato with chili, rice and stir-fried beef and vegetables. Add cooked black beans, corn, or garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to salads or casseroles.”

The Dietetic Association's association with General Mills, the breakfast cereal empire, (and Kellog, Nabisco, and many other food industry giants) might have something to do with their starchy opinions. Starch-grain embolisms can cause brain damage, but major money can also make people say stupid things.​

In an old experiment, a rat was tube-fed ten grams of corn-starch paste, and then anesthetized. Ten minutes after the massive tube feeding, the professor told the students to find how far the starch had moved along the alimentary canal. No trace of the white paste could be found, demonstrating the speed with which starch can be digested and absorbed. The very rapid rise of blood sugar stimulates massive release of insulin, and rapidly converts much of the carbohydrate into fat."

Last edited:
OP
A.R

A.R

whole milk
full fat cheese
lots of starch

this suppresses appetite and restores blood sugar to normal levels (unless you are already type 2 diabetic).
If you are susceptible to type 2 diabetes, would these foods not be bad for you? Also, if you were to consume these foods, what must you avoid (other than PUFA) to get full benefits from them so they don’t increase weight?

OP
A.R

A.R

I suggested it because, for example, drinking 400g of sugar would be less satiating for me than 200g of potatoes. Eating a lot of chocolate is also not good for a person losing weight, so potatoes would be an upgrade; they would at least be a better carb source than broccoli or corn, that's for sure. I would peel and boil potatoes.
Thankyou. Yes, if by eating potatoes I no longer crave things like chocolate, then it’s a win win. I heard a person craves chocolate because of the magnesium, but I supplement already with Magnesium glycinate. I also heard it’s easy to overdose on supplemental magnesium, so I don’t take the capsule everyday.

OP
A.R

A.R

Potatoes but not that much.
Added fat like cheese, olives and olive oil works great.
Thanks. Got it, so a meal of mashed potato with atleast 100g grated cheddar mixed. It’s a complete meal really, and not expensive at all.

OP
A.R

A.R

Do you consume olive oil? It's about 12% pufa. I was eating too much olive oil. Peat suggests using maybe a half teaspoon a day which made me realize the olive oil was a problem for me. The foods to avoid that contain pufa are: nuts, seeds (including corn and beans), pork, chicken. It's ok to eat chicken if you cook it in water, remove the skin, bones, etc. Add some gelatin (the kind that gels) to the very hot strained broth, refrigerate, scrape off all the fat on top of the gelled broth and discard it. Now you can safely use the chicken and broth in a recipe.

That's the common belief. You'd be amazed at all the common beliefs that are simply not true. I used to eat a lot of grapefruit, with avocados! and a tasty honey/garlic/olive oil salad dressing. I thought that was healthy but I was killing myself.

Broccoli blocks thyroid function (it's goitrogenic). Green beans are pretty starchy but may be ok if they are super over cooked (about 30 minutes at least). Sweet corn (yum) is too starchy + that's where pufa comes from (corn oil). If you don't have bread in the house it's easier to avoid it.

First thing, I drink 12 oz of OJ with vitamins & other supplements added to it plus a cup of hot mint tea with a little sugar, cream, and rounded 1/8 cup hydrolized gelatin. I take my 135 mg of prescription thyroid first with the OJ.
9:00am: I eat a raw carrot.
10:00am: 1gram of thiamine hcl dissolved in water with 90mg niacinamide and 90mg riboflavin.
11:00 a milk shake with 16oz milk, some frozen fruit (NOT the store bought frozen fruit - it's always too green), 1tablespoon fructose, heaping 1/8cup of hydrolized gelatin, a couple of egg yolks. OR I cook a frittata with eggs, cooked mushrooms, a few kalamata olives, some sauted onions, some sheep feta cheese, a little mozzarella, finished with a little organic pizza sauce.
around 3:00pm I'll eat a can of smoked oysters, or some liver with shallots cooked with port & topped with reggiano parmesean, or some sauted shrimp & onions, or some crab cooked with butter if I've got it.
around 4:00 I have the thiamine/niacinamide/riboflavin in water again.
around 6:00 I'll have another milk shake.
around 9:00pm my husband finally comes in from working outside and we have vanilla milk with gelatin and eat oranges while we watch Jeopardy reruns.
around 10:00pm I have more orange juice with some supplements.

I don't know how many calories that is, I never counted. I usually get hungry about 45 minutes after taking the thiamine so that triggers me eating something. I try to not buy things I'm not supposed to eat. I spend a great deal of time reading the ingredients labels and then I put things back on the shelf and keep walking. If you can't pronounce it, don't put it in your mouth.

Sometimes I cook my husband a real dinner with meat and the sides. I've done this several times recently so right now I feel pretty horrible and my gut is messed up. Writing all this down has been helpful, I've made the connection why I feel crappy; thank you. I'll get back on the straight and narrow.

My first run in with a near death experience and crawling my way back to reasonable health status via detoxing and strict diet was in 1993; I've been at this a while. I found Ray Peat in 2014 after being stricken with rheumatoid arthritis; Peat's diet advice has been extremely helpful.

If I have a burning desire to have something starchy, I'll eat a baked potato with butter and sour cream; I don't eat the skin.

Pharmaceutical drugs are pretty horrible; I think they do it on purpose so they will have repeat customers.

SSRIs increase serotonin. Been there, done that. Terrible stuff. I was on them for over 12 years.
Here's an article:

I'm not going to go into the "Vaccine", but vaccines in general are very bad due to what they put in them, like heavy metals and other toxins.

Starch is not good for a person trying to lose weight. Actually, Ray Peat makes a pretty good case for starch not being very good for anybody and if you do consume it then have it with lots of fat which will slow down the entry of all that glucose going straight into your veins which will trigger insulin release which will pack that glucose into fat storage.

"“Professional opinion” can be propagated about 10,000 times faster than research can evaluate it, or, as C. H. Spurgeon said, "A lie travels round the world while Truth is putting on her boots."

In the 1970s, dietitians began talking about the value of including "complex carbohydrates" in the diet. Many dietitians (all but one of the Registered Dietitians that I knew of) claimed that starches were more slowly absorbed than sugars, and so should be less disruptive to the blood sugar and insulin levels. People were told to eat whole grains and legumes, and to avoid fruit juices.

These recommendations, and their supporting ideology, are still rampant in the culture of the United States, fostered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association and innumerable university departments of home economics, dietetics, or nutrition.

Judging by present and past statements of the American Dietetic Association, I think some kind of institutional brain defect might account for their recommendations. Although the dietetic association now feebly acknowledges that sugars don't raise the blood sugar more quickly than starches do, they can't get away from their absurd old recommendations, which were never scientifically justified: “Eat more starches, such as bread, cereal, and starchy vegetables--6 servings a day or more. Start the day with cold (dry) cereal with nonfat/skim milk or a bagel with one teaspoon of jelly/jam. Put starch center stage--pasta with tomato sauce, baked potato with chili, rice and stir-fried beef and vegetables. Add cooked black beans, corn, or garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to salads or casseroles.”

The Dietetic Association's association with General Mills, the breakfast cereal empire, (and Kellog, Nabisco, and many other food industry giants) might have something to do with their starchy opinions. Starch-grain embolisms can cause brain damage, but major money can also make people say stupid things.​

In an old experiment, a rat was tube-fed ten grams of corn-starch paste, and then anesthetized. Ten minutes after the massive tube feeding, the professor told the students to find how far the starch had moved along the alimentary canal. No trace of the white paste could be found, demonstrating the speed with which starch can be digested and absorbed. The very rapid rise of blood sugar stimulates massive release of insulin, and rapidly converts much of the carbohydrate into fat."
I’ve started to mix a few olives with my carrot salad. I seem to enjoy it which is a positive. I also found it’s good to have it for breakfast, that way you’ve already sort of got it in your system and out the way.

OP
A.R

A.R

I’ve started to mix a few olives with my carrot salad. I seem to enjoy it which is a positive. I also found it’s good to have it for breakfast, that way you’ve already sort of got it in your system and out the way.
I also need to stop eating kiwi’s and avocados. I never knew kiwis were a high source of serotonin. I was eating them because of their high level of vitamin c. Also, I knew avocado was high in PUFA, but I read that it has a lot of natural digestive enzymes to help with my compromised digestion, as does kiwi. That’s why I would eat them.

Might be better to just get a good quality digestive enzyme supplement then.

If you are susceptible to type 2 diabetes, would these foods not be bad for you? Also, if you were to consume these foods, what must you avoid (other than PUFA) to get full benefits from them so they don’t increase weight?

the fat would be bad if you have type 2.

So otherwise, for everyone else: Just avoid sugar other than fruit and sugar found in milk or ice cream.

Birdie

I can see why it's convenient at that time but there are downsides and that would be why Ray says afternoon is the best time. By eating it first thing it would tend to cause havoc with your hunger (controlling appetite) for one thing. At breakfast you want to help with the fasting your body hs just endured. It's probably a good idea in your situation, with the hunger, to eat within an hour of getting up.

Dr. Peat doesn't take into account blood sugar swings that make people perpetually hungry. I am finding the starch + saturated fats very helpful for fat loss and it spares lean mass and I'm not hungry all the time.

FrenchKiwi

Dr. Peat doesn't take into account blood sugar swings that make people perpetually hungry. I am finding the starch + saturated fats very helpful for fat loss and it spares lean mass and I'm not hungry all the time.
This idea of fat + starch is blowing my mind right now and I am reading all about the croissant diet. It goes against everything I have learnt. The dominant message is that we overeat when carbs and fats are eaten at the same meal because it is hedonic and too pleasurable, plus they are 2 competing energy sources, and I bought into this idea. I went very low fat high starch and had bad sugar swings and was never satisfied. So I tried lots of protein but still no fat or starch and I was always hungry and craving something else. However, in the back of my mind it just didn't make sense because having lived in France for so long, I see skinny people everywhere eating fat and starch together. My husband is very trim and puts thick slices of butter on his baguette in the morning and dunks it in his pure hot chocolate and whole milk concoction. he eats cheese at every meal and if I forget to buy or make bread for the meal, he cannot eat until we find a solution. If I served him a meal without starch or fat, he would rather not eat. Having said all this, I am scared to try it out haha

Birdie

Yes, I agree. I think he's never needed that and never looked into that problem.. Of course he's eating oatmeal now and with butter right? After several years of trying to get my husband to stop the oatmeal.... Ray comes out with it. Now I can relax on that one.

Yes, I agree. I think he's never needed that and never looked into that problem.. Of course he's eating oatmeal now and with butter right? After several years of trying to get my husband to stop the oatmeal.... Ray comes out with it. Now I can relax on that one.

I don't really think oatmeal is that great as I think it produces a lot of endotoxin. But I think mixing it with generous butter and whole milk makes it work for appetite suppression and satiety.