Just Breathing Less Will Help To Live Longer?

paka

First breathe only through your nose, even when exercising.
Generally the focus on reducing your breathing creates intense mental focus, centring the mind.
If you were to place your hand directly beneath your nose then ideally you should not even be able to feel the slightest sensation of the breath.
The feeling is almost like not breathing, the breath should be imperceptible

http://peatarian.com/16678/how-do-you-breathe-properly
Protective CO2 and aging

paymanz

peat said:
I think carbon dioxide is really what oxygen is being used for[...]I think it's what really creating the structure of the cell, maintains the gel in the living state and makes the energy hard to deplete

Carbon dioxide is center of everything in ray's view.

Even PUFAs are bad mainly because they lower co2 production.

Carbon Dioxide as an Antioxidant – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

But I don't think exogenous co2 or breath holding or slower breath rate can fully deliver the benefits one may attain by increasing co2 production.

But they still may be beneficial.

tara

Just Breathing Less Will Help To Live Longer?[\quote]
If hyperventilation/hypoxia is a key bottleneck for you in maintaining your health, then it might.
Also depends how you do it. I doubt that breathing less by lowering BMR would be helpful for most people.
'Just' makes it seem easy.

Samya

Generally the focus on reducing your breathing creates intense mental focus, centring the mind.

The reverse is also true - by centring and calming the mind, the breath is naturally calmed.

In Hinduisim they have the practice of Pranayama which includes different forms of breath control, such as alternate nostril breathing, retaining the breath, extending the gap between exhalation and inhalation, or the practice of simply watching the breath without altering it in any way, similar to Anapanasati in Buddhism.

All of these practices with the breath are for the purpose of affecting the mind - through controlling the breath, the mind is controlled; similarly, controlling/calming the mind through meditation automatically brings the breath under control.

I find the path of meditation to be more natural and effective in the long-term, as directly controlling the breath can become overly forceful, for example if you hold your breath for too long you may only end up hyperventiling to compensate.

Last edited: