Just Ate Carrageenan!

J

j.

I went to the store and saw three brands of chocolate milk. 2 had carrageenan listed, and I bought the third one and drank it. The one I bought, it turned out, although it didn't have carrageenan listed, had INS 407 listed, I suppose it's a code they're allowed to use to save space. Then I googled what that "INS 407" was and it was carrageenan. Things that happen when you live in south america (although I supposed there are things unlisted in products in most countries).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Last edited:
OP
J

j.

Yeah, if I stop posting, you know what happened. :P

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Charcoal could limit it maybe?

narouz

j. said:
I went to the store and saw three brands of chocolate milk. 2 had carrageenan listed, and I bought the third one and drank it. The one I bought, it turned out, although it didn't have carrageenan listed, had INS 407 listed, I suppose it's a code they're allowed to use to save space. Then I googled what that "INS 407" was and it was carrageenan. Things that happen when you live in south america (although I supposed there are things unlisted in products in most countries).

j.-
walk it off, man!
just be sure to have an extra giant carrot salad tomorrow.

pboy

from my experience seaweed might cause irritation the day you eat it but it doesnt leave any residue and
is pretty much not that bad at all compared to most things....by the time you s**t the next day you wont have
anything to worry about

Dutchie

The only thing. I ever read about it,is that it can possibly interfere/obstruct proteinmetabolism

kettlebell

Carrageenan has been found to cause colitis and anaphylaxis in humans, but it is often present in baby “formulas” and a wide range of milk products, with the result that many people have come to believe that it was the milk-product that was responsible for their allergic symptoms.

In the 1940s, carrageenan, a polysaccharide made from a type of seaweed, was recognized as a dangerous allergen.

Carrageenan contributes to the disappearance of the liver enzymes (the cytochrome P-450 system) that detoxify drugs, hormones, and a variety of other chemicals.

Carrageenan enters even the intact, uninflamed gut, and damages both chemical defenses and immunological defenses. When it has produced inflammatory bowel damage, the amount absorbed will be greater, as will the absorption of bacterial endotoxin. Carra-geenan and endotoxin synergize in many ways, including their effects on nitric oxide, prostaglandins, toxic free radicals, and the defensive enzyme systems.

The continuing efficient production of energy is a basic aspect of metabolic defense, and this is interrupted by carrageenan and endotoxin.

Several types of research indicate that carrageenan changes cellular function in complex ways, imitating changes seen in cancer, for example.

But avoiding exposure to the major toxic allergens--such as carrageenan--is an essential consideration, just as important as correcting the thyroid function and avoiding the antithyroid substances.

From "Food-junk and some mystery ailments: Fatigue, Alzheimer's, Colitis, Immunodeficiency." - Ray Peat

A thickening agent commonly used in milk products, carrageenan, is a powerful allergen that can cause a “pseudo-latex allergy” (Tarlo, et al., 1995). It is a sulfated polysaccharide, structurally similar to heparin. There are good reasons to think that its toxic effects are the result of disturbance of calcium metabolism (see for example Abdullahi, et al., 1975; Halici, et al., 2008; Janaswamy and Chandrasekaran, 2008).

From "Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths" - Ray Peat

Ray talks about this substance in several interviews and describes how in its natural form it is not carcinogenic but the problem is that the bacteria in our intestine break it down into its carcinogenic form. In this broken down form it is a very well know carcinogen.

Kelly

I always wonder about stuff like this. Like, heavy whipping cream lists carrageenan as an ingredient. But half and half just lists cream and milk. I wonder if carrageenan is in the cream the half and half uses but doesn't need to be listed?

OP
J

j.

I get immediate bad reactions to eating this type of thing, like starting half an hour after, which I suppose happen due to a gut issue. What I had this time is what I can best describe as "weird breathing" for periods of about 45 minutes. Then my breathing returns to normal for a few hours, and then I might have another session of weird breathing. I think it's a tendency to hyperventilate, i.e., breath too fast, which makes me feel uncomfortable, and if I make a conscious effort to breath a bit slower, I feel better.

I don't expect anyone to believe this, as I think it's very rare. In a few hours though the symptoms will be all gone.

sctb

Kelly said:
I always wonder about stuff like this. Like, heavy whipping cream lists carrageenan as an ingredient. But half and half just lists cream and milk. I wonder if carrageenan is in the cream the half and half uses but doesn't need to be listed?

I've found that mainstream "whipping cream" brands have carageenan and
gums, but that natural or organic ones do not. I believe it is there to assist
in making whipped cream, so I would assume there is no reason for them to
add it to half & half.

- Scott

narouz

j. said:
I get immediate bad reactions to eating this type of thing, like starting half an hour after, which I suppose happen due to a gut issue. What I had this time is what I can best describe as "weird breathing" for periods of about 45 minutes. Then my breathing returns to normal for a few hours, and then I might have another session of weird breathing. I think it's a tendency to hyperventilate, i.e., breath too fast, which makes me feel uncomfortable, and if I make a conscious effort to breath a bit slower, I feel better.

I don't expect anyone to believe this, as I think it's very rare. In a few hours though the symptoms will be all gone.

Weird breathing from carrageenins...
I'm willing to believe it, j. :roll:

pboy

jaa said:
Should I not be eating seaweed?

its hard to say, in small amounts you will likely not notice anything...the fibers can apparently irritate the gut though
They are very mineral rich though so for that reason are healthy

One way around this if eating seaweed bothers you
is to just make tea or broth with it, i like to add some to tea occasionaly

OP
J

j.

jaa said:
Should I not be eating seaweed?

I don't know, but I think eating seaweed is very, very different from eating carrageenan.

Dutchie

Why don't you just make your own chocolate milk? as I figured it'll probably must be easy?.....take some milk,put in some cacopowder and sugar/honey or whatever to sweeten it?