Juicing Raw Potatoes

Tourist

read a rp article where it was recommended to use a centrifuge juicer then boil the juice to remove the starch.

I did this but am not sure of what the end product should look like. Pretty quickly the juice got thick and was stuck to the pan and has congealed. Does this sound right?

Any suggestions on how to eat it? I added salt but was still a challenge to get this stuff down. Rp wrote that the protein and mineral formation equaled eggs. Wonder how often is recommended to eat this if I haven't added in eggs yet?

Thanks for any feedback!

paymanz

Put it in refrigerator (maybe better if cover it so it doesnt contact the air)for 15-30 min so most of its starches and fibers settle in bottom,use the juice and discard the starches!

Ray recommends to cook it but some people drink it raw too.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

I'm confused on some parts of your response--"put in refrigerator". Which part--cooked or freshly juiced?

"Put in frig up to 30 min so fibers settle use the juice" am I straining? Is this how to avoid the fibers when drinking?

If cooking as rp said--what is the optimal consistency?

Put it in refrigerator (maybe better if cover it so it doesnt contact the air)for 15-30 min so most of its starches and fibers settle in bottom,use the juice and discard the starches!

Ray recommends to cook it but some people drink it raw too.

paymanz

Yes the raw fresh juice,it needs a few minutes so the starches and fibers settle to bottom of container, so you can separate the juice(by pouring it into another jar) and discard the residuals(the starches that settles to the bottom).

You want the juice without those white starches...

Note

I've tried it but is not very tasty, I couldn't drink it, maybe adding fruit juice to it or something else?

yerrag

Can someone send me a link to a Youtube video on how to make potato juice?

Maybe it's just me, but it appears to me it's harder to make a search on Youtube these days. It just gives me so many irrelevant results when I type "how to make potato juice."

There was a nice one made by a Chinese, I can't find it even in my history search. That one was pretty simple, and doesn't add a lot of twists to it.

theLaw

Just search the forum for "potato juice" and all the info is here.

The tricky part is removing the starch, which Georgi mentioned needing to filter 3 times with a cheese cloth even after juicing and letting it settle to the bottom.

After reading all of the threads and making it many times, I've personally come to the conclusion that it's a pretty impractical solution to the problems of digestion/protein utilization, so other foods/sups would be more effective/efficient (greek yogurt/raw egg yolks/niacinamide/taurine/BCAAs).

yerrag

Thanks. I saw that YouTube video before and wanted to pass something that looked easy to a friend. I know her well enough to know the simpler it is the better for her, if you know what I mean. Reading more than a paragraph would be a deal breaker, as she is a typical person these days with short attention spans.

She's asked me for a recipe for blending food a la Ensure. I had to look for a milk substitute as the patient is lactose-intolerant and I though potato juice would be a good replacement.

yerrag

It's really hard now to search for Youtube videos. It's like they intentionally make the search results so plenty that you have to waste so much time sifting through them. And I can't search my history as videos I've seen before no longer show up in my history search. And their filters are so limited that you can't get what you're looking for.

Knowing that they can do better, I suspect Google is no longer competing to be the best search engine since it's got a lock on the market. It just throws garbage search at us nowadays. **** Google!

theLaw

Thanks. I saw that YouTube video before and wanted to pass something that looked easy to a friend. I know her well enough to know the simpler it is the better for her, if you know what I mean. Reading more than a paragraph would be a deal breaker, as she is a typical person these days with short attention spans.

She's asked me for a recipe for blending food a la Ensure. I had to look for a milk substitute as the patient is lactose-intolerant and I though potato juice would be a good replacement.

I think that potato juice would be too difficult to make properly in that particular situation.

If the starch is not removed properly, it can cause an unpleasant reaction.

yerrag

I think that potato juice would be too difficult to make properly in that particular situation.

If the starch is not removed properly, it can cause an unpleasant reaction.
That's very good to know. as the patient is elderly and has pancreatic cancer and doesn't have long to live. Poorly made potato juice would not help. Thanks for the heads up.