j's vitamin K2 log

J

j.

I have tried taking vitamin K (MK4), but for a while, felt bad after taking it (difficulty to concentrate for some moments was one symptom). I tried Carlson 5 mg, Thorne K 1 mg, and Thorne K/D 1 mcg. The Thorne 1 mg gave me a bad reaction even though I took it through the skin.

Now I finally found a way to take it, at least a little. I put 4 or 5 drops of the Thorne K/D 1 mcg on my wrist every morning, without bad effects. I'll see if I can increase that amount over time.

kiran

Did you take the MK4 with some Calcium? I think it can reduce the serum calcium momentarily.

OP
J

j.

kiran said:
Did you take the MK4 with some Calcium? I think it can reduce the serum calcium momentarily.

Hmmm.... interesting. Can't tell. During that time, I wasn't taking many liters of milk regularly daily, sometimes none at all, so it's possible I consumed very little calcium the day I took it and had symptoms.

On the other hand, for some reason the effects only appeared many hours after I took it, I think once more than 8 hours.

OP
J

j.

I had involuntary frowning one day. I see that muscle spasms is a symptom of low calcium.

OP
J

j.

From wikipedia, seemingly related, thought not exactly the same as involuntary frowning:

The Chvostek sign is one of the signs of tetany seen in hypocalcemia. It refers to an abnormal reaction to the stimulation of the facial nerve. When the facial nerve is tapped at the angle of the jaw (i.e. masseter muscle), the facial muscles on the same side of the face will contract momentarily (typically a twitch of the nose or lips)

From another page:

The most common sign of hypocalcemia is what is called "neuromuscular irritability." Your nerves and muscles, which are directly related to blood calcium levels, may spasm or twitch.

OP
J

j.

Tried again a tiny bit of Carlson's K2 yesterday. It had bad effects, though not as bad as a previous experience (described here) because I consumed a lot less. It makes me wonder if it's caused by persorption of silica, one of the additives in the pill.

OP
J

j.

I no longer take Thorne K2 through the skin. Over time, it started bothering me, similar when I put vitamin A with soybean oil. Since I think my problem taking Thorne K2 is the soy-derived mixed tocopherols, and not the vitamin k itself, I just went ahead and started taking orally the 1mg drop instead of the 1mcg drop. Same amount of soy, I'd rather get more K.

OP
J

j.

When I started taking thorne k2 orally, I used to "feel high", even when I took a few milligrams, so I stopped. The last few days however I started taking 15 mg doses many times per day, to see if it affects blood pressure, and I feel fine. One thing that might be a factor is that I'm taking about 500 mg of pregnenolone per day, and I'll increase it I feel like it. Maybe pregnenolone in the hundreds of milligrams allows my body to not have some of the weird feelings I had while taking just a few K2 drops.

My objective behind high dosing K2 is to lower blood pressure without using the drugs physicians typically recommend and which might have bad effects. I suddenly had very high blood pressure recently, which I guess was caused by the calcium alkaly syndrome.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Are you noticing anything from the higher doses of pregnenolone?

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
Are you noticing anything from the higher doses of pregnenolone?

I was in a high stress situation due to the unexpected blood pressure, so I just feel like it's getting used a lot faster. I took 100 mg in the morning, and in the afternoon I felt like I needed more, so I had like 300 mg then, and then some more.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Do you feel like it helped the stress situation?

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
Do you feel like it helped the stress situation?

Definitely. Progesterone helps relieve high blood pressure. Since I didn't have it, I took a chance with pregnenolone, and maybe some of it or a lot of it converted to progesterone.

OP
J

j.

Not strictly related to K2, but I think I still have a bit of water retention in cells from my milk alkali episode. Will try progesterone. Hope the micronized version works as well. The brand I bought yesterday and took a little bit today is called Progeffik. Apparently it's real, bio-identical progesterone, though micronized.

OP
J

j.

When I take high doses of vitamin K, I think it lowers my Vitamin E, blood sugar, and calcium levels, because I feel urges to consume these things. I found honey to be the best to replenish sugar.

With 45 mg of Thorne K2 I think to need as much as a 1 gram pill of vitamin E. Thankfully the half life of MK4 is I think only an hour, so I don't have to be running to get honey and milk for so long. I think I'll stop taking MK4 unless I'm going to be home for the next hour and a half. I'm talking about the effects of a 15 mg dose.

OP
J

j.

Thinking of getting one of those glucose meters to see how much 15 mg of K2 lowers my blood sugar or if it's just my impression.

kiran

5mg of mk4 + 200mcg of mk7 makes me nap for a good 2-3 hours or so.
I wonder if it's because of the blood sugar or the drop in the blood Calcium levels.

OP
J

j.

kiran said:
5mg of mk4 + 200mcg of mk7 makes me nap for a good 2-3 hours or so.
I wonder if it's because of the blood sugar or the drop in the blood Calcium levels.

I wonder if drop in glucose levels = glucose getting into the cells and relaxing you. I don't know yet why the effect is so pronounced in me.