Josh Rubin Says Not To Eat The Carrot Salad After 3pm

Nips

Anyone know of the reasons? Im thinking of trying it before bed

Mittir

Josh is quoting Ray Peat. RP recommends that it is best to eat raw carrot salad in the after noon. This helps with cleaning your intestine system before bed. He also advised to avoid other food that feeds bacteria several hours before bed. Idea is to have less endotoxins in the system when you go to bed and also after sunrise digestive power is decreased. He recommends that most of the fat and sugar be taken after sunset. Protein is better digested during daytime. Endotoxins disturbs sleep.

pboy

Not to be gross, but it could be to ensure that it is properly eliminated the next morning...sugar and fat later in the day because they have no fiber and nothing really has to move through the colon

Swandattur

So, avoid protein in the evening, after 6 or 7pm? What else should be avoided? Any fruits? I suppose any vegetables, even if Peat okayed, should definitely be eaten earlier. I don't eat starch anyway. Thanks for posting this information.

Mittir

Swandattur said:
So, avoid protein in the evening, after 6 or 7pm? What else should be avoided? Any fruits? I suppose any vegetables, even if Peat okayed, should definitely be eaten earlier. I don't eat starch anyway. Thanks for posting this information.

He does not suggest total avoidance of protein after sunset but smaller amount. He strongly suggests glass of milk( with salt and sugar) as sleeping aid. Casein is digested slowly and provides a steady source of protein through out the night.
He also recommends ice cream before bed for better sleep.

Swandattur

Yes,I wish I hadn't developed this allergy reaction to most dairy. I stick to butter and cream and a little half and in my coffee. I used to eat dairy all the time. It could be the low carb diet I was on caused it, because that's when it happened or at least it got much worse. Maybe, at some point, it will get better. I think some of it might be histamine intolerance. I guess they put strange things in a lot of dairy these days, too, at least in the US.

gretchen

Mittir said:
Josh is quoting Ray Peat. RP recommends that it is best to eat raw carrot salad in the after noon. This helps with cleaning your intestine system before bed. He also advised to avoid other food that feeds bacteria several hours before bed. Idea is to have less endotoxins in the system when you go to bed and also after sunrise digestive power is decreased. He recommends that most of the fat and sugar be taken after sunset. Protein is better digested during daytime. Endotoxins disturbs sleep.

This makes sense to me. I have tried eating the carrot at various times of the day and have found that for whatever reason earlier is better.

dukez07

Mittir said:

Hi Mittir. Apologies to pick out your post, specifically, but I was just wondering what your ideal evening meal would be? I think I am going to give up starches completely.

Milk + sugar, before bed, sounds good.

What about the evening meal, though? Other than meat and milk, what else is there? Orange juice? Fruit?

mt_dreams

I eat my meat protein earlier in the day, and it's usually followed a couple hours later by a carrot salad to absorb anything lingering from the meat. Regarding evening meals, I usually just stick to fresh dairy cheese like ricotta, cottage cheese, mozzarella, etc with some gelatin, fruit & honey. It's funny how when visiting relatives in Italy, I thought they were weird for eating cheeses & fruit as their last meal, and now 20 years later I'm basically doing the same.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
mt_dreams said:
It's funny how when visiting relatives in Italy, I thought they were weird for eating cheeses & fruit as their last meal, and now 20 years later I'm basically doing the same.
:lol: :cool:

dukez07

mt_dreams said:
I eat my meat protein earlier in the day, and it's usually followed a couple hours later by a carrot salad to absorb anything lingering from the meat. Regarding evening meals, I usually just stick to fresh dairy cheese like ricotta, cottage cheese, mozzarella, etc with some gelatin, fruit & honey. It's funny how when visiting relatives in Italy, I thought they were weird for eating cheeses & fruit as their last meal, and now 20 years later I'm basically doing the same.

What do you mean 'anything lingering from the meat'?

mt_dreams

"What do you mean 'anything lingering from the meat'?"

Things like mercury, cadmium, arsenic, aluminum, lead, etc. I eat mostly organic, but you can never be too sure. Same applies to "wild" seafood, it's loaded with everything we've dumped into the oceans the last century or so. Mercury is the easiest to flush while it's still moving through your digestion, the other metals are not as easy, but I like the idea of something coming in to possibly absorb/scrub away all the elements of the food that are not desirable.

jyb

mt_dreams said:
"What do you mean 'anything lingering from the meat'?"

Things like mercury, cadmium, arsenic, aluminum, lead, etc. I eat mostly organic, but you can never be too sure. Same applies to "wild" seafood, it's loaded with everything we've dumped into the oceans the last century or so. Mercury is the easiest to flush while it's still moving through your digestion, the other metals are not as easy, but I like the idea of something coming in to possibly absorb/scrub away all the elements of the food that are not desirable.

Seafood like oysters might be high in say cadmium, but is also high in zinc, selenium and stuff that the body can use to remove it (cadmium content in oysters varies, but oysters higher in cadmium are also higher in zinc for example). So if you look at the net effect (very high in good things like copper), my understanding is that its still good.

mt_dreams

The body is well versed at removing harmful heavy metals via other metals/minerals, though the levels showing up in food these days is way higher than previous generations. The end result is that these minerals end up getting used for toxicity removal rather than possibly being used in other areas of the body.

Although quite disappointment at the current condition of our oceans, I was not using that as a deterrent to not eat seafood. Rather to utilize the absorbing/scribing power of carrot fiber to alleviate some of the work being done by minerals in the body (with regards to toxin removal)

Copper is healthy as long as you are not overdoing it, as high levels come with many consequences. That's why it's only recommended to eat cow liver once a week due to it's high concentration of copper. I believe Peat recommended to drink coffee with liver if you are having it more than once. I think this had to do with removing the iron in liver which coffee binds to, not the excess copper.

Ben

mt_dreams said:
The body is well versed at removing harmful heavy metals via other metals/minerals, though the levels showing up in food these days is way higher than previous generations. The end result is that these minerals end up getting used for toxicity removal rather than possibly being used in other areas of the body.

Although quite disappointment at the current condition of our oceans, I was not using that as a deterrent to not eat seafood. Rather to utilize the absorbing/scribing power of carrot fiber to alleviate some of the work being done by minerals in the body (with regards to toxin removal)

Copper is healthy as long as you are not overdoing it, as high levels come with many consequences. That's why it's only recommended to eat cow liver once a week due to it's high concentration of copper. I believe Peat recommended to drink coffee with liver if you are having it more than once. I think this had to do with removing the iron in liver which coffee binds to, not the excess copper.
High estrogen can cause copper to build up in the body by preventing its use for enzymes. It can build up in the brain and cause lipid peroxidation. This can lead to Copper intake itself reduces estrogen and helps this conversion into enzymes, so it could be expected that eating a lot of copper reduces estrogen and also increases the formation of these enzymes this way. These enzymes can protect against lipid peroxidation. People given extra copper for months had normal blood copper levels and I think it's because of either homeostatic excretion or conversion into enzymes.

You shouldn't worry about excessive copper intake because of this. RP said copper cookware can destroy vitamins/peroxidize unstable fats so if it's used for water, it should be taken away from meals. I was thinking about mixing aspirin in hot water in a copper container for extra copper. A salt can be made called "copper aspirinate".

Ben

So anyone else had better experiences taking it in the afternoon than in the morning or at night? It might be best at that time because it both clears up the bacteria that grew during sleep, and clears up bacteria before sleep. I recall a member of this forum stating carrot salad works better for them if they eat it twice a day. I believe eating it once early and once late would be more effective than eating it only one time in the afternoon, since it would clear up bacteria that grew during sleep, and get rid of bacteria before sleep.

RayPeatFan777

I've been trying to find the clip where he mentions this, anyone have it?

Yody

Anyone know if it's better to eat the carrot salad before bed if you forgot it earlier that day?

mrchibbs

Anyone know if it's better to eat the carrot salad before bed if you forgot it earlier that day?

Just skip it and eat it the next day