Jordan Peterson is finally coming around (to Christ)

AndrogenicJB

if you say so. Like I said he says a lot of interesting and thought provoking things, and mostly gives good advice. However “talkers” who always have a sense of “I am right” do instill a sense of confidence in their followers.. but no one knows everything ... or anything. Everyone’s mostly guessing— never forget that.
Agreed, I do not take his word as gospel, I just have more respect for him and what he tends to stand for than the average joe

cgh4444

Agreed, I do not take his word as gospel, I just have more respect for him and what he tends to stand for than the average joe

I have respect for him too and I mostly listen to him as entertainment but I try and be discerning and only take what’s useful.

Too many people swallow what these YouTube gurus have to say whole.

O

oldfriend

I'm sorry @Twohandsondeck, I really like some of your posts and the exchanges we've had. You seem like a good guy, but I don't see how these kinds of posts are productive, scientific or educational. Am I supposed to glean that Jordan Peterson deserves more credibility now that he's a Christian? What does religion have to do with Ray Peat? I understand the logic behind some of your posts and how they relate to diet or well-being via the objective historical data contained in the Bible. I think treating the overarching message/story of the Bible like anything else here is kind of futile and off-topic for the forum though.

Perry Staltic

I'm sorry @Twohandsondeck, I really like some of your posts and the exchanges we've had. You seem like a good guy, but I don't see how these kinds of posts are productive, scientific or educational. Am I supposed to glean that Jordan Peterson deserves more credibility now that he's a Christian? What does religion have to do with Ray Peat? I understand the logic behind some of your posts and how they relate to diet or well-being via the objective historical data contained in the Bible. I think treating the overarching message/story of the Bible like anything else here is kind of futile and off-topic for the forum though.

Category he posted under > Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality

O

oldfriend

Category he posted under > Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality
I still don't see how learning that Jordan Peterson has accepted Christ is relevant though. I would imagine studies or anecdotes about the physiological effects of prayer & meditation would be the kind of thing discussed in this subform.

Perry Staltic

I still don't see how learning that Jordan Peterson has accepted Christ is relevant though. I would imagine studies or anecdotes about the physiological effects of prayer & meditation would be the kind of thing discussed in this subform.

Then don't participate. Simple.

O

oldfriend

Fair enough, I guess the thing I'm trying to drive home is that, in these kinds of posts (e.g. Jesus said eat bread or whatever), religion seems to be conflated with objective and relevant information when it should be treated as historical data rather than the words of some hypothetical savior or presented as proof of a creator. This happens in subforms that aren't this one.

OP
Twohandsondeck
I'm sorry @Twohandsondeck,
No need to be!
You seem like a good guy, but I don't see how these kinds of posts are productive, scientific or educational.
I wasn't aware that every post on the forum had to fulfill one of these categories...
But also, what's productive or educational to one man might not be productive or educational to another.
Am I supposed to glean that Jordan Peterson deserves more credibility now that he's a Christian?
Your mention of credibility is the first notion of such a thing that has appeared. Credibility is an independent variable from one person's assertion upon their personal judge of character towards another person...
Which leads me to add that credibility is indifferent to the uh, 'root' of this post, I guess you could say.

Peterson is a well known figure. He has made a valiant effort to be intellectually exact through use of logic, reason, and rationality when attempting to describe or otherwise contextualize human behavior. For someone who's entire career & limelight is founded upon these things, I thought it was a noteworthy thing that he said those few words that he did.
What does religion have to do with Ray Peat?
As @Perry Staltic pointed out, check the subforum.
I would imagine studies or anecdotes about the physiological effects of prayer & meditation would be the kind of thing discussed in this subform.
If there was any one of us that would have such a wish granted, this community would get pretty stale in a hurry.

O

oldfriend

I don't think it's intended as a forum to discuss anything related to religion, but as a forum to discuss religion as it relates to ray peat and his teachings. This isn't reddit.
However, I'm fine with being wrong in this instance. I just see posts conflating religion with things that are relevant to the forum from time to time, and just felt compelled to react today.

O

oldfriend

Just please don't do this. Funny fact: monkeys actually open the banana from the other end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben.

I think he has a very good way to articulate himself and explains situations like personal growth or emotional adversities very well and i learned quite a few things from listening to him. I remember there was a time where he expressed a certain thought/feeling perfectly in a way that i couldn't phrase in words.
Sadly, he sounds like in despair in this video. Not like hes in a good place.

The objective and the narrative world can touch ... mhh... that one makes me think.

I have respect for him too and I mostly listen to him as entertainment but I try and be discerning and only take what’s useful.

Too many people swallow what these YouTube gurus have to say whole.

Exactly this, take whats useful to oneself.

Youtubers, Influencers, Celebtrities etc. seem to cast a spell on the viewers and they gobble up what is preached, sometimes to a point where it is just blind following of a illusion/perception of a person that hits the toilet and struggles with life just the same as we all do.

When i notice myself being to thrilled or excited about a peron like jordan for example i try to remind me that whatever i feel or think i understand is illusive and idealized and i should use the information from my own place and detach from the emotional response that the talk/video is inducing (usually underlined with dramatic music ofcourse ... looking at you ... motivational videos).

Because i to have found myself guilty of idealizing these online personas at times.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals