Jordan B Peterson; Anyone Else Following This?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
He's an anti-peat SSRI shill paid by the serotonin industrial complex.

When will people wake up??
Yeah I am very disappointed because I enjoy listening to a lot of his YouTube videos but the book is pretty bad IMO. Maybe it's just me but I can't keep reading it because of his views on serotonin.

Dhair

Yeah I am very disappointed because I enjoy listening to a lot of his YouTube videos but the book is pretty bad IMO. Maybe it's just me but I can't keep reading it because of his views on serotonin.
I'm not a conspiracy-minded person, but his insistence on coming back to this point is becoming highly suspicious, and really seems to have nothing to do with his philosophical leanings. Even if he believes these things about serotonin, why bring it up so often? Bizarre.

raypeatclips

I'm not a conspiracy-minded person, but his insistence on coming back to this point is becoming highly suspicious, and really seems to have nothing to do with his philosophical leanings. Even if he believes these things about serotonin, why bring it up so often? Bizarre.

Maybe he thinks talking about neurotransmitters makes him seem smart?

Dhair

Maybe he thinks talking about neurotransmitters makes him seem smart?
That's a depressing thought. I do think that many people are like this though. When you consider how he writes about this subject, you can tell that he definitely doesn't expect to be challenged on it.

Herbie

Most doctors are out of their league talking about such things because they believe in receptors.

I agree.

I lived with a doctor last year and this doctor was rigid and stuck in some narrow way of looking at things and had this arrogance about their title which rendering anything I had to say about anything wrong but was not able to say why. This particular person had a disdain for obese people and people of lower socio-economic status. They were 24 years of age and were already using iron supplements prescribed by other doctors so they are in for a hell of a time.

In the 1700s doctors were known to be charlatans, nothing new under the sun.

Herbie

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I hear you. It makes me a bit sad in light of his massive following to think of all the people who will probably buy into the serotonin scam as the answer to their problems. I've just seen so many lives negatively impacted by the indiscriminate pushing of ssri and other psychiatric meds.

I'm currently trying to help my 19 year old step daughter come off multiple psych meds and it's a very hard and slow process for her. Her mom started medicating her about 15 years ago and her brain has never had a chance to develop normally. I went through the weaning off process myself 8 years ago and it's long and painful thing to go through. Hopefully she is young and resilient enough that she will have an easier time of it than I did. Many people don't have the necessary support to feel empowered enough to break free of the psyche med trap or even realize there are other options. I think the fact that she saw both her dad and myself come off meds and actually do better with each passing year has given her hope that she might be able to have a good life without being medicated too. She has been told by her mom and psych workers multiple times that she would need to be on the drugs for life. I'm happy she is at least questioning if that is true for her.

There is no shame in people with true mental illness taking medication but the large scale promotion of these meds for ordinary people almost seems like a convenient way to chemically restrain the masses. I kind of sound like a conspiracy theorist too but that's ok.

Dhair

I hear you. It makes me a bit sad in light of his massive following to think of all the people who will probably buy into the serotonin scam as the answer to their problems. I've just seen so many lives negatively impacted by the indiscriminate pushing of ssri and other psychiatric meds.

I'm currently trying to help my 19 year old step daughter come off multiple psych meds and it's a very hard and slow process for her. Her mom started medicating her about 15 years ago and her brain has never had a chance to develop normally. I went through the weaning off process myself 8 years ago and it's long and painful thing to go through. Hopefully she is young and resilient enough that she will have an easier time of it than I did. Many people don't have the necessary support to feel empowered enough to break free of the psyche med trap or even realize there are other options. I think the fact that she saw both her dad and myself come off meds and actually do better with each passing year has given her hope that she might be able to have a good life without being medicated too. She has been told by her mom and psych workers multiple times that she would need to be on the drugs for life. I'm happy she is at least questioning if that is true for her.

There is no shame in people with true mental illness taking medication but the large scale promotion of these meds for ordinary people almost seems like a convenient way to chemically restrain the masses. I kind of sound like a conspiracy theorist too but that's ok.
I still cannot believe that doctors have the nerve to tell people that they have to be on these drugs for life. It is disgusting, and it's a lie.
My heart breaks for her. I have a similar history. I actually quit long-term Pristiq (high dose) cold turkey a few years ago. It was very risky considering I was drinking a lot at the time, but I had no means of getting more medication. I hope that I have suffered no long term damage from that. Nothing seems to have presented itself so far.
I am confident that she will get through it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Dhair. Congratulations to you for successfully getting off meds. It's not easy.

That bad huh? I would not doubt for a second he is getting paid big time to shill that stuff. He's a a psychiatrist....aka a legalized drug pusher.

x-ray peat

I think he is sincere about his belief in SSRIs. I know people who couldnt get off the coach and they made a big difference in their quality of life. Now of course I agree that these drugs are very dangerous especially in the long term. But a drowning man will grab onto anything and I think that's the way Petersen sees these. I dont think he acknowledges any long term harm and if so probably thinks its better than the present day major depression.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
His self authoring program sounds helpful. My step daughter is checking it out as a tool to work through things as she does the med weaning process.

How can you hate someone for being so honest? He got one part of it backwards, whoa, however his conclusions are sound. Of course I don't exclude that he's getting some sponsorship from antidepressant industry, but this probably came after he spoke out.

Dhair

How can you hate someone for being so honest? He got one part of it backwards, whoa, however his conclusions are sound. Of course I don't exclude that he's getting some sponsorship from antidepressant industry, but this probably came after he spoke out.
"Hate" is a strong word. I just happen to have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to the SSRI stuff. Some may think that's irrational, but it is my opinion that the line must be drawn somewhere.

"Hate" is a strong word. I just happen to have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to the SSRI stuff. Some may think that's irrational, but it is my opinion that the line must be drawn somewhere.
He doesn't and can't know any better. It's what the lobster studies say, or at least what the conclusions say. He is merely a psychologist, albeit one of the last good ones.

Tarmander

I just finished his new book. The serotonin mistakes are only in the first rule. I think he mentions it once elsewhere, but you can just skip that chapter. There are other gems to be found in the rest of the book.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

That bad huh? I would not doubt for a second he is getting paid big time to shill that stuff. He's a a psychiatrist....aka a legalized drug pusher.

He’s not a psychiatrist, actually. You know nothing about the man, evidently, and continually denounce him with your paranoid delusions. Very shallow and sophomoric.

mt_dreams

He’s not a psychiatrist, actually. You know nothing about the man, evidently, and continually denounce him with your paranoid delusions. Very shallow and sophomoric.
Yes & No. Now days he's more of a salesman, be it books, or his million dollar plus pateron account, youtube clips, etc. In the past he was both a professor & clinical psychiatrist. Most psychiatrists are favorable to brain drugs, not sure what there is to defend here. Imo when someone is good at conveying their thoughts like JP, and their message is as accessible as his message is, there's no point reading his words ... especially when the book is 500 pages.

On a general level, I think the problem here is human incompetence. Someone finds something they like about someone, then they fanatically elevate that person to the point that everything that comes out of the person, no matter the subject, is to be perceived as gospel. I haven't read the book, but very little of the clips I've listened to have any subliminal undertone of pushing psych drugs. I don't care what he eats, what synthetic drugs he takes, what type of clothes he wears, etc. He's intellectually compelling people to take a stand, be it in their own life, or the life around us. Lets at least save our animosity to the people in this world that are fantasized and don't really bring anything beneficial to the table.

OP
C

CoconutEffect

Yes & No. Now days he's more of a salesman, be it books, or his million dollar plus pateron account, youtube clips, etc. In the past he was both a professor & clinical psychiatrist. Most psychiatrists are favorable to brain drugs, not sure what there is to defend here. Imo when someone is good at conveying their thoughts like JP, and their message is as accessible as his message is, there's no point reading his words ... especially when the book is 500 pages.

On a general level, I think the problem here is human incompetence. Someone finds something they like about someone, then they fanatically elevate that person to the point that everything that comes out of the person, no matter the subject, is to be perceived as gospel. I haven't read the book, but very little of the clips I've listened to have any subliminal undertone of pushing psych drugs. I don't care what he eats, what synthetic drugs he takes, what type of clothes he wears, etc. He's intellectually compelling people to take a stand, be it in their own life, or the life around us. Lets at least save our animosity to the people in this world that are fantasized and don't really bring anything beneficial to the table.

Sorry it’s not “Yes and No” - he’s not a psychiatrist, not an MD, can’t prescribe medications.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals