haidut

Forum Supporter
It is hard to get more nefarious than that. Apparently, not only did Johnson & Johnson (J&J) sell baby powder laced with asbestos but it knew about it for several decades and did everything it could to prevent the information from leaking to the public. Keep in mind, this is on top of the already ongoing lawsuits against J&J in regards to its talc powder causing cancer.
Evidence on Talc Cancer Risk Differs for Jurors, Researchers
Estrogen, progesterone, and cancer: Conflicts of interest in regulation and product promotion.
"...The need for proper experimental controls when using implanted devices is shown by a study that analyzed the fibrotic tumors that had grown around implanted plastic tubes. Crystals of talc were found in the tumor, that were assumed to have originated from the surgical gloves used during the operation. Talc is now widely recognized as a carcinogen, and is suspected of causing ovarian cancer."

And of course, it did not stop there. J&J also financed fake studies and hired professors to speak publicly on the "safety" of talk as a way to influence both public opinion and regulatory action by the FDA. Does this remind anyone of the PG&E case where they sent Hinkley residents brochures telling them the carcinogenic chromium in their water was actually "good" for them?!
Btw, I am not sure why the article fails to point out that over the last 30-40 years a large number of J&J executives served at a number of high-ranking FDA positions and had a much more direct opportunity to conceal the issue and influence the course of events in favor of J&J. Some of them held those positions at FDA repeatedly, as part of the infamous FDA-industry revolving door. That probably is the much bigger (and untold) story.
If there is anything worse than clubbing baby seals, it is probably knowingly giving babies cancer and profiting from it. I fail to see how such action on behalf of J&J is not premeditated murder. Oh, and it is not just the babies of course. The mothers and other adults inhaling the powder also get cancer, as did Darlene Coker, who was probably the first person to try (and fail) to hold J&J accountable. The article is long but quite worth the read. It is pretty depressing though, and suggests FDA is at best indifferent to such issue and at worst somewhat complicit in helping companies come out clean from such fiascoes.

J&J knew for decades that asbestos lurked in its Baby Powder
"...Facing thousands of lawsuits alleging that its talc caused cancer, J&J insists on the safety and purity of its iconic product. But internal documents examined by Reuters show that the company's powder was sometimes tainted with carcinogenic asbestos and that J&J kept that information from regulators and the public."

"...J&J didn’t tell the FDA that at least three tests by three different labs from 1972 to 1975 had found asbestos in its talcin one case at levels reported as “rather high.”

"...A Reuters examination of many of those documents, as well as deposition and trial testimony, shows that from at least 1971 to the early 2000s, the company’s raw talc and finished powders sometimes tested positive for small amounts of asbestos, and that company executives, mine managers, scientists, doctors and lawyers fretted over the problem and how to address it while failing to disclose it to regulators or the public. The documents also depict successful efforts to influence U.S. regulators’ plans to limit asbestos in cosmetic talc products and scientific research on the health effects of talc."

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sad. :(

Makrosky

Unbelievable. I hope some of them end up in jail.

What surprises me more is.... why? Why did they have to put asbestos on it? Was it the only way for the talc powders to work the way the wanted? They had plenty of decades to find a safer alternative. We are not talking about magnesium stearate here or something. It is ******* asbestos. @haidut do you have any speculation on why??

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Unbelievable. I hope some of them end up in jail.

What surprises me more is.... why? Why did they have to put asbestos on it? Was it the only way for the talc powders to work the way the wanted? They had plenty of decades to find a safer alternative. We are not talking about magnesium stearate here or something. It is ******* asbestos. @haidut do you have any speculation on why??

I don't think they put asbestos in it on purpose. That would have probably finished the company if it became news. The article says it was leftover from the manufacturing process and they just did not care to remove it and instead concealed the evidence that it is there and muddied the water about its risks with fake studies, speeches and lobbying FDA.

Rickyman

Wait...wtf. where is the MSM outrage? Was this even covered in the media?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wait...wtf. where is the MSM outrage? Was this even covered in the media?

Not to my knowledge, I don't think any of the major news outlets covered it. Not surprised though. Who do you think owns MSM? Many of the Fortune 500 companies own (sometimes controlling percentage) stock in MSM. So, kind of hard for any big news agency to go against its stockholders.

Makes me wonder how pure the medicinal talc is.
My husband who passed in 2017 from MESOTHELIOMA (lots of asbestos exposure)
as a young plumber, had a TALC PLEURODISES surgery 2 months after diagnosis.
This was supposed to aid his breathing ,but did nothing but cause a huge downward
Spiral.He never lay down again until his demise.This surgery absolutely sucked the life
And any joy he had left,massive Cachexia followed.
The surgeons words the night before surgery"this will have him up and breathing easier"

It would be doubly ironic if the very thing meant to ease his breathing was contaminated
With the substance that caused early death.

Mito

KEY POINTS
  • J&J is exploring a plan to offload liabilities from widespread Baby Powder litigation into a newly created business that would then seek bankruptcy protection.
  • The company has not yet decided whether to pursue the bankruptcy plan and could ultimately abandon the idea, sources told Reuters.
  • J&J faces legal actions from tens of thousands of plaintiffs alleging its Baby Powder and other talc products contained asbestos and caused cancer.

yerrag

Just glad even as a baby I hated the smell of it and ever since never had it used on me. The only exception would be at the barber shop after a buzz.

Z

Zsazsa

jjt.png

yerrag

Yes same here and my mother didnt like it either so none of us used it and it was never in the house. We could smell it on some of our neighbors kids.
I'm glad that even living in a humid tropical country, I never had any fungal growth issues from not using baby powder.

We're lucky we didn't get powdered at all. No advertising could override my crying over the smell of powder.

LA

I'm glad that even living in a humid tropical country, I never had any fungal growth issues from not using baby powder.

We're lucky we didn't get powdered at all. No advertising could override my crying over the smell of powder.
good chuckle: "No advertising could override my crying over the smell of powder."
For a short time we considered moving to a Humid Climate such as yours. It is good for the skin! We decided to stay in a fairly boring climate. No fungal growth issues as long as we wear 100% cotton or in the short cold season I wear 100% washable Merino Wool.

Back
Top Bottom