1. Spring Sale 10% Off @ LifeGivingStore.com Till June 10th With Coupon Code: SPRING2020
    Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

John Paul George Ringo - How Healthy Were They

Discussion in 'The Ray Peat Forum Lounge' started by DMF, Dec 31, 2019.

1. DMF

DMF Member

Beatlephiliac all my life and occasionally can't help but wonder. All slender and tall (o.k. maybe not Ringo) Strong too - John that is.
    Apart from the drugs and cans of Heinz Baked Beans, their main staple just to get through an ordinary Beatle day, they each must've possessed a particular if not extraordinary constitution in order to amount to what they did. Their secretary Freida Kelly described them as having come from "good stock".

2. Christopher R.

Christopher R. Member

All were products of the postwar UK welfare state, so would have grown up on free school milk and also home cooking with saturated fats and animal protein. It wasn't just them, all the bands and actors in the 1960s seem more energetic and robust than those who came afterwards. They had grown up playing outdoors and with no internet and very little television.

With good nutrition they were super energetic in their late teens and early twenties, allowing them to overwork physically in Hamburg and during the nonstop touring of the Beatlemania years while still producing high quality creative output. They were clearly testosterone-fuelled, and perhaps most importantly they had a clear vision of what they wanted to achieve, and a huge sense of opportunity and optimistic self-confidence, which would eliminate any kind of learned helplessness, and probably put them in a euphoric state for much of the early years.

Also, they would have gained mental stamina and creative enhancement from the stimulatory effects of all that nicotine in the cigarettes they chain smoked throughout their career, as well as whatever mind expanding results the LSD had in their later years.

3. OP
    DMF

DMF Member

Yes - they always seemed in a euphoric state. They all fit and synergized each other like perfect parts of a whole.
    There's a luck factor too - that they had Brian Epstein and George Martin to channel and funnel their creative energy which of course was common among many other British bands of that era - some American too.
    Anyhow, Sir Paul looks, sounds strong , Ringo 'not sure. George never completely gave up on the cig's and I think John would still be alright nowadays like Paul.

4. Christopher R.

Christopher R. Member

That's a good point, they were very lucky in that they synergized well and met the right people at the right time. Almost like the 'Law of Attraction' in action, lol. Their upbeat, self-confident vibes seemed to magnetically attract good luck towards them. When they fell out with each other is when their luck started to falter, and their solo years lacked much of the 'magic' that had characterized the Beatle years.

George appeared reasonably robust until the effects of inhaling smoke through his lungs caught up with him at the turn of the century.

I think Ringo is in quite good shape for someone of his age, and seems to be fairly low-stress, especially since beating his alcohol addiction.

John seemed to become more frail in the latter half of the 1970s, during his 'retirement' years as a house husband. I think it was due to inadequate protein from following Yoko's macrobiotic fad diets, and he may also have had bulimia. He was certainly thinner and older looking than he should have been in 1980.

Sir Paul does have a lot of stamina and creative energy to this day, going on tours and releasing new albums fairly frequently. I think he'd be even healthier if he and Linda hadn't become vegetarians in the 1970s though. Paul had fairly decent muscle mass in the late 1960s and early 1970s, but since then he became noticeably skinnier, especially in the 1980s. It may also have contributed to premature greying of his hair in that decade. Paul's voice doesn't seem to have aged as well as, for example, Tom Jones's, who has never been a vegetarian. But nowadays I imagine he has access to all sorts of high-quality supplements and foods, which allow him to continue to stay on top of his game.

5. OP
    DMF

DMF Member

Isn't Sir Paul a vegan?

6. Sam Suska

Sam Suska Member