Ray Peat Interview Jodellefit - Ray Peat Q&A

@Hans
They state that they were firm on Diet-control and mandated to consume
Diet according to a "menu plan"."To monitor dietary compliance, 24-h urine collections were
made at the beginning of the study (NSD).
"(short term,these urine analyses are dependable imo,only around 5 percent
difference between intake and output).
"Dietary cards were recorded
throughout the study period
."
But still not in a recorded controlled environment,but the effects were large.

Study design and protocol. The study was conducted
as a double-blind, randomized, crossover trial over
five consecutive weeks
. All subjects entered the study on
their NSD (phase 1), after which they were randomly assigned
to either an HSD or an LSD for 2 wk (phase 2).

Thereafter, they followed a 1-wk washout period (phase 3)
on their NSD and then switched to the alternative diet for 2
wk (phase 4). All subjects were required to consume a base
diet of 1500 mg·d1 (65 mmol·L1·d1) of sodium and
approximately 2250 mg·d1 (64 mmol·L1·d1) of chloride,
which was provided by a menu plan,
whether on the
LSD or HSD. For the HSD, the base diet was supplemented
with 10 1-g salt capsules per day comprising 4000 mg·d1
(174 mmolL1d1) of sodium, and approximately 6000
mg·d1 of chloride (169 mmol·L1·d1).
For the LSD, the
base diet was supplemented in the same manner, but with
placebo (sucrose) tablets.

At the initial screening test on the NSD and at the end of
each 2-wk treatment phase, pulmonary function (PF) and
DLCO was assessed pre- and postexercise (PF: 1, 5, 20, 45,
75, 90, 105, and 120 min; DLCO: 10 and 25 min) (Fig. 1).
The screening test was conducted to screen all subjects for
the presence of EIA, as indicated by a more than 10%
decrease in postexercise FEV1 compared with preexercise
values. Each subject underwent collection of induced sputum
48 h before exercise to establish baseline values on the
respective dietary salt regimen, and at 1, 6, and 24 h after
each exercise challenge (Fig. 1). Twenty-four hours before
each exercise challenge at the end of each 2-wk treatment
period, subjects reported to the laboratory to have their
plasma volume measured using the Evans blue (EB) dilution
method (Fig. 1). Blood pressure measurements, using brachial
artery sphygmomanometry, were taken at the beginning
of the study and every third day of the treatment period.
Blood pressure was also measured pre- and postexercise. To
monitor dietary compliance, 24-h urine collections were
made at the beginning of the study (NSD), at the end of each
2-wk treatment period, and at the end of the washout period

(Fig. 1). Body mass was determined before exercise at
screening and at the end of each treatment period. At the end
of the 1-wk washout period, all subjects reported to the
laboratory to void additional urine and undergo further pre and
postexercise PFT, to verify that urinary electrolyte
balance and the degree of exercise-induced airway narrowing
had returned to baseline levels established at the beginning
of the study (NSD) (Fig. 1). Dietary cards were recorded
throughout the study period
. In addition, all subjects
were asked to record bronchodilator use during each 2-wk
treatment period.

Aufzeichnvfgfgfen.JPG

airway inflam il8 ltb4.JPG

LuMonty

Have you had the same benefit from copper rich food such as liver or oysters, or only from direct supplementation?
I get chronic sinus if my copper drops too low and liver fixes that for me.
I've found greater benefit from supplementation most recently. I've always liked liver, and it helps, but lately it makes my skin itch. I'm assuming it's how the product is being handled. As for oysters, I love those too but they don't have all of the effects of supplementing. Oysters will make me feel more relaxed but don't really help breathing. I'm assuming it's because of the zinc to copper ratio. It doesn't take much zinc (even over the course of a day or two) to give me really bad nausea so even though, in theory, zinc should also help my problems, I don't mess with it much.

LuMonty

Do you have a lung condition?
No, I have several allergies and right now there's one I can't escape. I have a "permanent" retainer on my bottom teeth and I'm allergic to it. It'll be 10 more days before I an have it removed.

Dennis

Ray has talked about T3 a lot in this interview and in the past. Can people who benefit from taking the T3 state the brand they use.
( as with everything product, the brand and form matters enormously)
( I'd also be curious to here form people where the brand has not been effective)

nwo2012

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.473.3627&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Dietary salt, airway inflammation, and diffusion capacity in exercise-induced asthma.
Mickleborough TD1, Lindley MR, Ray S.
Author information
Human Performance and Exercise Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47401, USA. [email protected]
Abstract
PURPOSE:
Recent studies have supported a role for dietary salt as a modifier of the severity of exercise-induced asthma. The main aim of this study was to demarcate a possible mechanism by which dietary salt modification may alter exercise-induced airway narrowing in asthmatic patients.

METHODS:
Twenty-four patients participated in a randomized, double-blind crossover study. Subjects entered the study on their normal salt diet (NSD) and were then placed on either a low-salt diet (LSD) or high-salt diet (HSD) for 2 wk with a 1-wk washout period occurring between diets. Pre- and postexercise spirometry, pulmonary diffusion capacity (DLCO) and its subdivisions, and induced sputum were obtained on the NSD and at the end of each 2-wk treatment period (LSD and HSD).

RESULTS:
FEV1 decreased by 7.9 +/- 2.8% on LSD, 18.3 +/- 4.0% on NSD, and 27.4 +/- 3.2% on HSD at 20 min postexercise. The NSD and HSD induced significant reductions (P < 0.05) in DLCO and its subdivisions. However, postexercise pulmonary capillary blood volume significantly increased (P < 0.05) by 6.3 and 9.6 mL on NSD and HSD, respectively, compared with baseline values, with no significant change (P > 0.05) being observed on LSD. Postexercise-induced sputum neutrophil and eosinophil differential cell counts and induced sputum supernatant concentration of eosinophil cationic protein, interleukin (IL)-1beta, IL-8, leukotriene (LT) C(4)-E(4), LTB(4), and prostaglandin D(2) were significantly elevated (P < 0.05) on NSD and HSD compared with LSD.

CONCLUSION:
Our findings indicate that dietary salt loading enhances airway inflammation following exercise in asthmatic subjects, and that small salt-dependent changes in vascular volume and microvascular pressure might have substantial effects on airway function following exercise in the face of mediator-induced increased vascular permeability.

Lurking in every thread, waiting to get an anti NaCl comment in. The Anti-Salt Troll 2: The Troll strikes Back.

boris

We all know salt can be harsh on the mucosal lining. So just don‘t gulp down 10 1g salt capsules a day that stick to stomach and intestinal walls and damage them and you should have no problem? Add the stress of exercise and you have a recipe for disaster.

Another case of misguiding framing in my opinion. It would be valuable if they presented the finding in a different way, but the way it is framed this study is similarly useless to the aspirin studies where people swallow 10 pills at once on an empty stomach.

DevilHands

According to Dr. Peat, if its a real dairy allergy. It can be deadly wherein if its serious, we might not be able to breath from its consumption, and if its mild, it could be something like a burning sensation when the mouth is touched.

I manage to try milk swish it in my mouth and see if I felt a burning sensation. It didn't...

I am however experiencing skin problems when I have too much dairy. (red spots all over)

Milk do have a laxative effect on me when I have too much.

I do agree that I do have lactose intolerance, but I am not sure if its along with a real allergy.

Does this mean that skin problems can also come up with a dairy intolerance??

I wish Dr. Peat could expound it further.

Herbie

@DevilHands

I think its possible that people can be allergic or intolerant to other foods in the diet, those foods can cause inflammation and create a dairy intolerance, where the dairy gets the blame but its a separate cause.

In an old interview with Ray he said that inflammation from pufa can destroy the lactace enzyme process and make a person dairy intolerant.

DevilHands

@Herbie

I am pretty positive its dairy though. the red spots will fade if i stop dairy.

I am however definitely allergic to pollen as I have allergic rhinitis.

I am not sure if its because the cows ate the grass that I am allergic to that could cause this problem. In which case, this will mean I am screwed cause all good cows eat grass.

Herbie

@Herbie

I am pretty positive its dairy though. the red spots will fade if i stop dairy.

I am however definitely allergic to pollen as I have allergic rhinitis.

I am not sure if its because the cows ate the grass that I am allergic to that could cause this problem. In which case, this will mean I am screwed cause all good cows eat grass.

Have you tried taking or atleast reaf about penicillin or cyproheptdine?

DevilHands

Have you tried taking or atleast reaf about penicillin or cyproheptdine?

haven't yet. the drug is actually not available in our country. I am also deathly afraid of taking drugs though haha... but I have been doing some research here and there about it since if I do indeed decide to take it. I guess my only hope is from idealabs.

Docs used to prescribed me what I believe to be zyrtec though. Not sure if I gain relief from it.

Edit: I meant the cypro btw.

Herbie

haven't yet. the drug is actually not available in our country. I am also deathly afraid of taking drugs though haha... but I have been doing some research here and there about it since if I do indeed decide to take it. I guess my only hope is from idealabs.

Docs used to prescribed me what I believe to be zyrtec though. Not sure if I gain relief from it.

Edit: I meant the cypro btw.

Which country?

Cyproheptadine is anti histamine and some people have bacteria problems which create milk issues and can solve this with penicillin. Danny Roddy being a testimonial for this.

DevilHands

Philippines, Ive been looking at anecdotal reports regarding cypro. Results have been mixed with some side effect like gaining weight so I am kinda weary of just jumping ahead with it.

For antibiotics, we do need a prescription for it. Currently my main source of calcium is from eggshells.

I am not sure however if its best to just tackle all of these issue by getting an NDT. Arent all these issues from poor thyroid?

But then again, I have heard reports of hair loss sped up after taking thyroid, as I am actually currently trying to fix my hair. I am very careful when trying to add anything into my regime.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals