Ray Peat Interview Jodellefit Ray Peat Interview

Lejeboca

Thank you, Dan
A short quote from this interview: Ray Peat has defined stress "as a mismatch between organism and an environment" (at 9:43)

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you, Dan
A short quote from this interview: Ray Peat has defined stress "as a mismatch between organism and an environment" (at 9:43)

A slight clarification - I think what is meant by that quote is a mismatch between the demands of the environment placed on the organism and the energy it can muster up to meet that demand. In other words, an energetic deficit/gap between environmental demand and organismic response. If there is sufficient energy to produce the needed response then instead of stress you get stimulation/development/progress/learning/etc even in situations we typically think of as "negative" - a fight/war to overcome something evil.

ilikecats

lol Marian diamond. I pointed out to Ray that he misspelled her name in one of his articles ("Marion") and he acknowledged it but never changed it. WE'RE STILL BEEFING TO THIS DAY (he’s not aware of this BUT I AM).

Last edited:

Lejeboca

A slight clarification - I think what is meant by that quote is a mismatch between the demands of the environment placed on the organism and the energy it can muster up to meet that demand. In other words, an energetic deficit/gap between environmental demand and organismic response. If there is sufficient energy to produce the needed response then instead of stress you get stimulation/development/progress/learning/etc even in situations we typically think of as "negative" - a fight/war to overcome something evil.

Agreed. Thank you.
"Energy gap" -- well-said!
I understood his quote as bi-directional in terms of energy gap. In addition to the energy-expenditure direction you've noted, energy-contraction direction may exist: Environment may not place enough demands (be boring) and then one's already present energy goes to waste and you get stress symptoms such as learned helplessness (aka depression in people).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals