Jittery when eating a Peat diet

motleyadams

Sometimes when eating Peat, I get weird and jittery in the middle of the day.

So far I've had, eggs with butter, coffee with milk and sugar, OJ, Burger patties with cheese, more cheese.

I had two cups of coffee so maybe it's from the caffeine wearing off? I'm not sure. Not pleasant.

Nemo

So far I've had, eggs with butter, coffee with milk and sugar, OJ, Burger patties with cheese, more cheese.

I had two cups of coffee so maybe it's from the caffeine wearing off? I'm not sure. Not pleasant.

Motley, you need enough sugar to balance all that protein. Jittery could mean low blood sugar or low blood sugar triggering adrenalin.

How much OJ and sugar and fruit are you having with those eggs and burgers and cheese? How about getting some sugared milk in there?

meatbag

I agree that sounds like low blood sugar, I get this too (on any diet); Low Blood Sugar Basics – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
That article helped me a lot

OP
M

motleyadams

Motley, you need enough sugar to balance all that protein. Jittery could mean low blood sugar or low blood sugar triggering adrenalin.

How much OJ and sugar and fruit are you having with those eggs and burgers and cheese? How about getting some sugared milk in there?
Gotcha.

I probably had 30-40oz of OJ and 4-7 tablespoons of sugar in my coffee.

skittles

Try a different carb source!

OJ and granulated sugar never really worked for me and I got that jittery feeling a lot. Eat some whole fruits or some peeled and well-boiled potatoes, see how you feel from that.

I've been drinking Pepsi Throwback sometimes and it makes me feel far better than Mexican Coke makes me feel. I recently found an apple cider with just apples as the sole ingredient, and I feel amazing from it. I make cold brew coffee and drink it black 3oz at a time or so whenever I see it in the fridge calling my name. I feel great drinking it that way. But OJ and sugary coffee never worked for me.

IMHO the average person doesn't need to be rigid with this way of eating - just listen to your body, try replacing things with other things and see how you feel. As long as you're eating a decent amount of carbs and intentionally avoiding PUFA, that's probably a big enough step in the right direction. The fine details are highly dependent on the individual.

OP
M

motleyadams

Try a different carb source!

OJ and granulated sugar never really worked for me and I got that jittery feeling a lot. Eat some whole fruits or some peeled and well-boiled potatoes, see how you feel from that.

I've been drinking Pepsi Throwback sometimes and it makes me feel far better than Mexican Coke makes me feel. I recently found an apple cider with just apples as the sole ingredient, and I feel amazing from it. I make cold brew coffee and drink it black 3oz at a time or so whenever I see it in the fridge calling my name. I feel great drinking it that way. But OJ and sugary coffee never worked for me.

IMHO the average person doesn't need to be rigid with this way of eating - just listen to your body, try replacing things with other things and see how you feel. As long as you're eating a decent amount of carbs and intentionally avoiding PUFA, that's probably a big enough step in the right direction. The fine details are highly dependent on the individual.
Good info. Thanks.

I know Peat has said coffee can do that when your thyroid is not in a good place. He doesn't say to stop coffee, but from your list I would guess that either all the protein is not being supported by enough sugar or the oj andceggs are giving you an imbalance. You might try to up your sugar. I like a big spoonful of raw honey when I feel imbalanced and a water solution of sugar salt water calms me nicely too. I also have had problems with eggs and orange juice making me feel bad. I finally can enjoy eggs after switching to corn and soy free ones. I am do better juicing fresh oranges and mixing them with gelatin, raw honey and salt bit is an addicting combo. Something about drinking orange juice without the added honey throws me off.

Vinero

I think it's the cheese. I used to eat cheese as my main protein source a few years back and I got hypothyroid and often felt the same as you, jittery and overstimulated. Cheese is not the same as milk.
Cheese is deficient in b-vitamins compared to milk. Cheeses contain microbial or vegetarian rennet which are inflammatory. Cheeses contain colorings such as beta-carotene and annatto which can antagonize thyroid function when eaten in large amounts. I totally avoid cheese nowadays and feel a lot calmer.

Last edited:

Nemo

Gotcha.

I probably had 30-40oz of OJ and 4-7 tablespoons of sugar in my coffee.

You'd think that would do it. Are you having it at the same time as the protein?

I know at one point I got my metabolism cranking along so fast I was having trouble eating enough to keep up with it. Could you be at that point?

You'd think that would do it. Are you having it at the same time as the protein?

I know at one point I got my metabolism cranking along so fast I was having trouble eating enough to keep up with it. Could you be at that point?
Maybe too much sugar? That's a thing. I never ate sugar before Peat, even as a kid, I just never liked it. So I didn't adding sugar for over year when applying Peat's principles. Maybe had I, it might have been too much too soon.

Hans

Forum Supporter

When I was recovering metabolically, I needed to eat meat and salt with carbs early in the day. If I consumed only carbs it made me feel jittery. When I added coffee it was worse.
Meat and salt with carbs did it for me. Start the day strong. Then after that you'll feel you can tolerate the liquid and sugar better.

Nemo

Maybe too much sugar? That's a thing. I never ate sugar before Peat, even as a kid, I just never liked it. So I didn't adding sugar for over year when applying Peat's principles. Maybe had I, it might have been too much too soon.

I remember the very first day I decided to start Peating, I was going to go straight to a milk and OJ diet. So I woke up in the morning and drank a glass of OJ and my hands started shaking and I felt like I was going to faint.

Would never happen now. So yes, maybe some problem handling the sugar.

OP
M

motleyadams

When I was recovering metabolically, I needed to eat meat and salt with carbs early in the day. If I consumed only carbs it made me feel jittery. When I added coffee it was worse.
Meat and salt with carbs did it for me. Start the day strong. Then after that you'll feel you can tolerate the liquid and sugar better.
Got it.

What carb source? I find I have to eat animal products high in fat to feel good along with high amounts of sugar.

OP
M

motleyadams

I remember the very first day I decided to start Peating, I was going to go straight to a milk and OJ diet. So I woke up in the morning and drank a glass of OJ and my hands started shaking and I felt like I was going to faint.

I think this is it. I’m going to up my starchy carb intake and then lower it gradually.

Honey and fruit mostly.
Got it.

What carb source? I find I have to eat animal products high in fat to feel good along with high amounts of sugar.
Me too! It's about going back to basics, eating the whole animal. Be careful about what kind of fats though! Grass fed meats have all the nutrition in their fat, including dairy, and in non grass fed all the toxins are stored their fat. It is just like Ray Peat said about us storing PUFAs in our fat, so, toxic I now think that is why Ray Peat doesn't differentiate what kind of SKIM milk, be it grass fed or not. So if you are eating non grass fed anything get the lowest fat content and if you can acquire grass fed you want the fattiest!

I couldn't do honey at all, until this past few months, 4.5 years later. I eat gobs of it everyday now. Same with orange juice. The most effective way I successfully got sugar in my diet in the beginning without feeling something negative was eating Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream. It was so calming and rejuvenating, in a way that coffee, milk and sugar weren't. In retrospect I wonder if the extra saturated fat may be a good tool to usher in extra sugars that one isn't use to?