Jess Ainscough a.k.a. the Wellness Warrior has died

ilovethesea

Also posted this on Peatarian, in case you guys didn't see it. Sad story and may have implications for alternative health movement...

http://jessainscough.com/in-loving-memory/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ge-30.html

Jess was an Australian blogger who was diagnosed with a rare cancer (epithelioid sarcoma) at age 22 and rejected conventional medicine (which would have had her amputate her entire arm - however I'm still unclear if this would have cured her).

Instead she did Gerson therapy, green juices, etc. (unfortunately nothing Ray Peatish).

Her mother got breast cancer a few years ago and also rejected mainstream treatments, and she died in 2013. That stress probably contributed to Jess's death last week age 30... but she lived for 7 years with the cancer.

This vile blogger has been on deathwatch for a while now - posting about it with glee:
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the ... ainscough/
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2015/ ... ghs-death/
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2014/ ... riorating/

The comments are also shocking to me - as if doctors know everything and this girl was "dangerous" for simply writing about what she was doing.

Seems to be a huge blow for alternative health world...??

I... Will have my milk and juice like every other day, I guess.

answersfound

Unfortunately, it is a huge blow for the alternative health world. Anything that is considered to be outside of the normal standard of care typically falls under the umbrella of alternative health. Whether it's Gerson Therapy, GAPS protocol, or Ray Peat, it's all the same thing as far as conventional medicine is concerned. So when one approach doesn't work, it's all wrong.

She was right in refusing the treatment, but obviously wrong her attempts to heal herself. So now, any attempt to heal oneself without a doctor's care is considered quackery. And poisoning your body with radiation therapy is completely logical. But people overlook all the people that follow a doctor's orders, and still fail. They followed the doctor's orders, so they did everything they could do.

The problem is that most people who attempt to cure a disease through alternative health usually fail. So the whole concept is dismissed. Anyone who goes against the grain is considered crazy.

It's amazing how far detached we are from what is right and what is wrong. Everytime I hear sugar being demonized I cringe. People legitimately think fruit is poison. Just watch 15 minutes of Dr. Oz and you will see.

I'm not saying I know everything and understand every health concept. I'm not saying I could cure myself of a terminal illness. But I was able to sort through the insanity that is considered to be normal, and that led me here. I'm extremely happy to see doctor's breaking away from conventional protocols and internet resources like STTM raising awareness, because they realize their patients aren't getting better.

The bottom line is that people don't want to consider the reality that their health should be completely their responsibility. I'm not saying doctors don't have their place. But people need to take a more active role in their healing and not take everything they are told as gospel. You don't need to go to medical school to understand basic human physiology. People think that diseases result from bad luck. They don't want to look in the mirror when they are told they are ill.

burtlancast

ilovethesea said:
Jess was an Australian blogger who was diagnosed with a rare cancer (epithelioid sarcoma) at age 22 and rejected conventional medicine (which would have had her amputate her entire arm - however I'm still unclear if this would have cured her).

Instead she did Gerson therapy, green juices, etc. (unfortunately nothing Ray Peatish).

Her mother got breast cancer a few years ago and also rejected mainstream treatments, and she died in 2013. That stress probably contributed to Jess's death last week age 30... but she lived for 7 years with the cancer.

Once again, the mainstream press completely misrepresents the facts when it comes to alternative cancer therapies. Always make sure to read the comments section under the article ( preferably the last ones, as the top ones invariably belong to industry shills)

The real story is totally different :

- she first underwent conventional chemo ( a no-no in the Gerson therapy) and went into remission for a a few months. Then it came back and was proposed amputation of the arm, which she refused and embarked on Gerson, which put her into remission for 7 years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNoeaSTnDR4

- Her mom tried and failed Gerson, and this affected her emotionally, and her cancer cameback. She thus returned to conventional treatment ( chemo probably) and she died shortly thereafter:
'I’ve lived with cancer since 2008 and for most of those years my condition was totally stable. When my mum became really ill, my cancer started to become aggressive again. After she died, things really started flaring up.'
Ms Ainscough reportedly began pursuing conventional treatments after she suffered through ten months of constant bleeding from the tumours in her arm and shoulder.

My guess is she could have added Rick Simpson oil to her Gerson therapy, when the cancer came back, while cutting the flaxseed oil.

Too bad Ray refuses to specifically write about the pros and cons of this Gerson therapy. With his insights, it would certainly become even better than it already is.

SQu

And she lost her mom too. Poor girl.
The blogger calls what she rejected (partially as you say) ' effective medicine'. I know someone whose husband had more and more of his leg amputated until they could go no further and died anyway, fast. That's his ' effective medicine'.
Very very sad.

burtlancast

She did 3 courses of treatments:
1. Chemo ( failed after a year)
2. Gerson ( 7 years survival)
3. Chemo ( probably) (died a few months after)

The conclusion by the medias ?

Gerson killed her...

:bs :beatdeadhorse

Suikerbuik

Conclusion is neither chemo nor Gerson worked.

Suikerbuik

How many calories are eaten on a "Gerson diet"?

burtlancast

It's actually a hyper caloric diet, low in animal proteins and fats, and high in vitamins and minerals.

Suikerbuik

It is indeed a sad story this to be said first.

I am just not convinced about the ability of a Gerson diet in curing cancer.
Even if it is supposed to be hyper caloric - I guess only for those who aren't scared of the "sugar" in carrots and fruits (common these days!) and who don't turn orange. You must consume HUGE amounts of vegetables. All this potassium, without it being offset by any salt, is a recipe for stress.

yoshiesque

The problem is alternative therapies have a bad name for a reason - for the most part they are bull****. im not gonna say things like chinese medicine is bad, i think it can be very effective but to find a good practitioner with the extensive experience is so hard.

I went through 4 integrative doctors before finding one that actually knew what he was talking about. So even the concept of integrative medicine, while in theory sounds good, in practice is quite flawed. its just another area for dodgy GP's to get on board for more money.

So my question with this case is, was it the gerson technique? or was the technique not done properly?

Its hard to say, because apperently for that particular cancer, your life expectancy is around 5-10 years. So you cant really say Gerson technique was what kept her alive all these years. Although its interesting how her health issues started to really degrade after her mum died.

its a really sad story. I was wondering if she ever went on LDN? there was a very effective trial done on the use of LDN, Milk Thistle and IV ALA. It was done on a few people who had several months to live from pancreatic cancer, but years later were still alive - as long as they stayed on the therapy that is.

Also, why did her, her mum and her grandma have cancers (which were all different cancers)? I thought we could be predisposed to have a particular cancer, but not any form of cancer.

Spokey

yoshiesque said:
Also, why did her, her mum and her grandma have cancers (which were all different cancers)? I thought we could be predisposed to have a particular cancer, but not any form of cancer.

I think if the environment is pro cancer, the type of cancer you get is basically a lottery unless you're exposed to a particular carcinogen like with smoking.

It seems to me the Gerson (the modern version, maybe not the original which I think included liver) diet typically would be a low vitamin A diet, because the carotenes won't be converted to retinol efficiently without fats, particularly saturated, and while eggs and milk are allowed on the diet, it seems like they'd be marginalised in favour of some goitrogenic habits.
None of this seems like something I'd want if I had a skin cancer.

OP
I

ilovethesea

lookingforanswers said:
Unfortunately, it is a huge blow for the alternative health world. Anything that is considered to be outside of the normal standard of care typically falls under the umbrella of alternative health. Whether it's Gerson Therapy, GAPS protocol, or Ray Peat, it's all the same thing as far as conventional medicine is concerned. So when one approach doesn't work, it's all wrong.

She was right in refusing the treatment, but obviously wrong her attempts to heal herself. So now, any attempt to heal oneself without a doctor's care is considered quackery. And poisoning your body with radiation therapy is completely logical. But people overlook all the people that follow a doctor's orders, and still fail. They followed the doctor's orders, so they did everything they could do.

The problem is that most people who attempt to cure a disease through alternative health usually fail. So the whole concept is dismissed. Anyone who goes against the grain is considered crazy.

It's amazing how far detached we are from what is right and what is wrong. Everytime I hear sugar being demonized I cringe. People legitimately think fruit is poison. Just watch 15 minutes of Dr. Oz and you will see.

I'm not saying I know everything and understand every health concept. I'm not saying I could cure myself of a terminal illness. But I was able to sort through the insanity that is considered to be normal, and that led me here. I'm extremely happy to see doctor's breaking away from conventional protocols and internet resources like STTM raising awareness, because they realize their patients aren't getting better.

The bottom line is that people don't want to consider the reality that their health should be completely their responsibility. I'm not saying doctors don't have their place. But people need to take a more active role in their healing and not take everything they are told as gospel. You don't need to go to medical school to understand basic human physiology. People think that diseases result from bad luck. They don't want to look in the mirror when they are told they are ill.

I agree with you. Doctors can go **** themselves as far as I am concerned, and should be regarded on the same level as used car salesmen and politicians. But they won't because people trust them too much. Even when their health is going steadily downhill for years under a doctors care, it's unthinkable to even question what the doctor is doing - let alone take personal responsibility!

I really admire Jess for having the strength to live on her own terms. I was in a situation where I was pressured by doctors and family to undergo surgery for "suspected" cancer (thyroid cancer), even though they couldn't diagnose it until post-op. I regret going along with it and not being stronger to make them wait until I could educate myself.. the system really tries to rush you to the operating table. Meanwhile the cancer ended up being 1/2 the size they "thought" it was, and it was the slow-growing kind that's usually present in autopsies. Thanks doctors!!!!

I don't think too many doctors will ever break away from conventional protocols, have you heard of the thyroid doctors Dr. Derry in Canada and Dr. Durrant Peatfield in the UK? Both were put through the ringer by the medical associations because they were actually helping patients similar to Broda Barnes. Something really stinks in medicine these days... is it deliberate? I wonder sometimes.

OP
I

ilovethesea

burtlancast said:
Too bad Ray refuses to specifically write about the pros and cons of this Gerson therapy. With his insights, it would certainly become even better than it already is.

Maybe it's simply to protect himself from being run out of dodge like others before him. I'm sure the powers that be keep a close eye on Ray and all his emails and would just love to shut him down.

Weirdly I just went to search for that Vision & Acceptance interview with Ray (where he talked about the govt shutting down his school in Mexico) and it's disappeared. I wonder if he asked to take it down!!!

burtlancast

ilovethesea said:
burtlancast said:

Maybe it's simply to protect himself from being run out of dodge like others before him. I'm sure the powers that be keep a close eye on Ray and all his emails and would just love to shut him down.

No doubt about that.
If one wants to survive nowadays in the alternative field, he better watch every word coming out of his mouth .
Just the obligation to defend oneself in justice will bankrupt you in an instant, guilty or not.

Parsifal

Suikerbuik said:
It is indeed a sad story this to be said first.

I am just not convinced about the ability of a Gerson diet in curing cancer.
Even if it is supposed to be hyper caloric - I guess only for those who aren't scared of the "sugar" in carrots and fruits (common these days!) and who don't turn orange. You must consume HUGE amounts of vegetables. All this potassium, without it being offset by any salt, is a recipe for stress.
How does potassium increase stress? First time I hear this claim? :eek:

Suikerbuik

The context is a gerson diet, a diet supposedly hypercaloric from mainly vegetables and fruits (in the form juices?) and low salt. If your potassium and sodium are not properly balanced and your body is exhausted, your body increases aldosterone (1) to retain sodium (2) to excrete potassium to maintain the balance.

Don't be afraid of your potassium in a RP-inspired-diet with enough sodium, in this context the potassium is very healthy.

tara

Suikerbuik said:
post 116225 The context is a gerson diet, a diet supposedly hypercaloric from mainly vegetables and fruits (in the form juices?) and low salt. If your potassium and sodium are not properly balanced and your body is exhausted, your body increases aldosterone (1) to retain sodium (2) to excrete potassium to maintain the balance.
Do you get useful amounts of usable sodium from high-brix veges too? Or enough if metabolism is strong but not if it's weak?

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals