Jello vs Gelatin (for glycine content)

alexander101

So I'm comparing the hypothetical glycine content from gelatin vs store-bought Jello.

Gelatin:
Just as an example, lets take a look at Great Lakes Gelatin
Nutritional info: http://www.greatlakesgelatin.com/consum ... alInfo.php
From the above link, you can see that this gelatin is comprised of 88% protein, and glycine is a protein.. therefore glycine content is present.

Jello:
Lets take a look at JELL-O
Nutritional info: http://www.jello.com/product/jello-snacks/orange
From the above link, you can see that the jellow snack comprised of 1g of protein per 96g serving size, and again since glycine is a protein.. therefore glycine content is present, but low.
Gelatin is listed as an ingredient, but I'm wondering, is it an adequate source at all?

any thoughts?

tara

1 g of gelatine will probably do a little good, but not as much as 10g. Or 20g. If you make your own jelly, you can skip the artificial flavourings and colourings, and if you use juice to make it, you get the benefit of the minerals in the juice. Or if you make milk pudding, you get all the nutrition in the milk, too. I think my 500g box of gelatin says to use 3 tsp to jelly ~500ml liquid. I make it thicker than that, so you can pick up pieces with your fingers, don't need a spoon, but it's a matter of taste, too.

OP
alexander101

alexander101

So your gelatin comes in powdered form?
Just curious, about how much do you spend on gelatin on average per week? Is it costly?
How long does a 500g box last? How many servings does it make?

tara

500g ~$14, don't know what it costs where you are. Not sure exactly how long it lasts me - varies, but I'd guess in the range of 2-4 weeks. Other costs associated with whatever other ingredients I use with it, of course.

Jenn

Commercial jello uses other ingredients as thickening agents in addition to gelatin and therefore a lot less gelatin per serving to get a similar firmness. I don't buy great lakes brand, it's too expensive. I get unflavored beef gelatin in bulk for about half the cost.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals