Japanese Kampo Medicines For The Treatment Of Common Diseases: Focus On Inflammation By Amazon.com S

yerrag

In finding approaches and solutions to my hypertensive condition, I couldn't help but be drawn towards Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). I've begun to use some of TCM herbs and blends, and it was only because I came to understand the herbs not thru the way TCM herbs are usually described (e.g. fire, heat, cold, dampness etc.) but through Western studies done on these herbs. Yet there are more herbs and blends I'd still like to explore, and the available literature I can find is very limited.

I came to realize that TCM had long been adapted and modified by the Japanese in the Kampo medicines. The more I read about Kampo medicine (Kampo - Wikipedia), the more I realized that Japan had already made the attempt to understand TCM through the eyes of Western medicine, being that Japan, in the Meiji era, had made the move to adopt Western practices, and the practice of medicine was not exempt from that. It is through this fusion of TCM and Western medicine in Japan that I look forward to having a better understanding of TCM.

A Wikipedia entry :

In 1937, new researchers such as Yakazu Dōmei (1905–2002) started to promote Kampō at the so-called “Takushoku University Kampo Seminar”. More than 700 people attended these seminars that continued after the war. In 1938, following a proposal of Yakazu, the "Asia Medicine Association" was established. In 1941, Takeyama Shinichirō published his "Theories on the Restoration of Kampō Medicine" (Kampō-ijutsu fukkō no riron, 1941). In that same year, Yakazu, Ōtsuka, Kimura Nagahisa, and Shimizu Fujitarō (1886–1976) completed a book entitled "The Actual Practice of Kampō Medicine" (Kampō shinryō no jissai). By including the Western medical disease names he greatly expanded the usage of Kampō formulas. A new version of this influential manual was printed in 1954. This book was also translated into Chinese. A completely revised version was published in 1969 under the title "Medical Dictionary of Kampō Practice" (Kampō Shinryō Iten).[3]

: made me Google search on "Medical Dictionary of Kampo Practice," and it yielded an interesting book "Japanese Kampo Medicines for the Treatment of Common Diseases." I perused a preview of it, and while it only shows the table of contents, it's got my interest piqued. Here's the link on Amazon (kindle, but available as a printed book as well):

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XRXVHT5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_64MvEbN83SNDN

Yet, it's a $100 for the Kindle version, and $125 for the printed book. I'm tempted to buy it. Thinking first, so it doesn't become an impulse purchase lol.

I thought I could peruse the whole book by signing up for a 60-day trial of Kindle Unlimited, but it's not an included title.

My daughter has a condition called Lymphatic Malformation which in the West is treated with surgery. However, while researching I found that in Japan they use a Kampo Medicine called Eippikajusuto which is taken by mouth and decently effective.

Anyway, while researching this formula I found this webstie What is Kampo Medicine? which had the formula listed. I then took it to a Chinese Medicine Doctor and he told me it was a direct copy of the Chinese Medicine book he uses. This appears to be a digital copy of a classic Chinese Medicine book. And it has all the Kampo names listed for the formulas. My point being that if you just want to know the formulas this website has them and then you could cross reference them with studies from Pubmed. Studies can have a lot of info in them. Using these resources I was able to find dosing and formula instructions.

I was very disapointed that here in the States I was only offered a major and dangerous surgery as an option even though in Japan they use an over the counter medication to treat my daughters condition. Japan has done a lot of great work with studies using the Kampo Medicines. And many of them appear to work. It is however difficult to access them here. Almost no one practices Kampo Medicine outside of Japan.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Interesting and new to me. Have you checked Pubmed for free articles?
kampo - Search Results - PubMed

Yes, I've been using PubMed a lot, and that's one of the sites I've been using to research on TCM herbs. I still find information scarce, and I'd like to see a reference that compiles TCM/Kampo herbs in an easily accessible format. With PubMed, I have to read through tons of material for each herb, and the information isn't comprehensive. It touches on some more popular herbs, but information on less used herbs are scant or even non-existent.

When on a quest to find solutions, it's still hard to rely on the incomplete information in PubMed, as far as TCM herbs go.

My daughter has a condition called Lymphatic Malformation which in the West is treated with surgery. However, while researching I found that in Japan they use a Kampo Medicine called Eippikajusuto which is taken by mouth and decently effective.

Anyway, while researching this formula I found this webstie What is Kampo Medicine? which had the formula listed. I then took it to a Chinese Medicine Doctor and he told me it was a direct copy of the Chinese Medicine book he uses. This appears to be a digital copy of a classic Chinese Medicine book. And it has all the Kampo names listed for the formulas. My point being that if you just want to know the formulas this website has them and then you could cross reference them with studies from Pubmed. Studies can have a lot of info in them. Using these resources I was able to find dosing and formula instructions.

I was very disapointed that here in the States I was only offered a major and dangerous surgery as an option even though in Japan they use an over the counter medication to treat my daughters condition. Japan has done a lot of great work with studies using the Kampo Medicines. And many of them appear to work. It is however difficult to access them here. Almost no one practices Kampo Medicine outside of Japan.
Yes, it is understood that Kampo medicine derives a lot of its core knowledge on TCM.

I'm glad that you were able to spare your daughter from having surgery with the use of Kampo. I myself was happy to see that such a book (the one I mentioned in the OP) exists. I've thought to myself before how useful such a book would be, given that I prefer understanding TCM/Kampo herbs and their use in the way I understand drugs and their mechanism of action in the Western medical sense, and not in the Chinese yin yang, hot/cold, in/out sense.

I'll buy the book later on, as I'm afraid buying the book now would be like going down a rabbit-hole and exploring a world I could not extract myself from, and I still have stuff to do.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Anyway, while researching this formula I found this webstie What is Kampo Medicine? which had the formula listed.
Just going through the herbs (well, they're not all herbs), I'm faced with a dilemma. Should I follow all of these? Some of the ingredients are what I've read about, and they're the kind of ingredients that make some animals become endangered (or lose their numbers), such as donkey gelatin, and rhino horn. I just hope, though, that I can skip the formulas containing these kinds of ingredients, as most ingredients are herbal.

It's not just China that's using up these animals, but Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and other countries in the Chinese cultural sphere.

burtlancast

Here's the link on Amazon (kindle, but available as a printed book as well):

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XRXVHT5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_64MvEbN83SNDN

Yet, it's a $100 for the Kindle version, and $125 for the printed book. I'm tempted to buy it. Thinking first, so it doesn't become an impulse purchase lol.

I thought I could peruse the whole book by signing up for a 60-day trial of Kindle Unlimited, but it's not an included title.

I wonder what Libgen has to say about that....;)

OP
yerrag

yerrag

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals