January 2013 Newsletter: "Demystifying dementia...."

Discussion in 'Articles & Newsletters Discussion' started by charlie, Dec 22, 2012.

1. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

"Demystifying dementia: protective progesterone"

Birdie has informed me that the new newsletter has arrived. Discussion on it will be held in this thread.

2. Ray-Z

Ray-Z Member

OK, let's get this party started... :partydance

Two details I found interesting...

(1) The villainous aromatase enzyme (which encourages conversion of testosterone to estrogen) increases in the brains of people with Alzheimer's (p. 2).

(2) A wide range of injuries can kick off the degenerative process and spread inflammation and edema throughout the brain (p. 5):

Protect those beautiful brains of yours, Peaty people!

3. John Eels

John Eels Member

Peat discusses often the protective effects of progesterone. Has anyone experimented with peat's progesterone solution? What are some of the experiences with it?

4. OP
    charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

Attached Files:

5. Birdie

Birdie Member

And here is something about progesterone's protective effects in this NL:

And it gets better:
    And:
    But, as Charlie says, go to the other thread where you can find personal experiences. It's more theory/explanation here. :D

6. Birdie

Birdie Member

All this above makes me want to run for the progesterone!!

7. Birdie

Birdie Member

Agree!!
    And for those of us maybe with brain inflammation and deterioration or past injuries/insults, Ray always offers solutions or remedies or help. YayYay! :salute

8. Ray-Z

Ray-Z Member

Aha! Thanks, Birdie. You just answered one of the questions that was nagging me: Why is there so much aromatase in a brain afflicted with Alzheimer's?

You point out that the prostaglandins activate aromatase. On p. 3, immediately after one of the passages you quote, Peat says that "Estrogen activates the formation of prostaglandins (Toda, et al., 2012) and inhibits the enzyme that degrades them (Chang and Tai, 1985)."

So in sad, inflamed brains with lots of PUFA, estrogen encourages formation of prostaglandins, which return the favor by activating aromatase, which encourages conversion of testosterone to more estrogen. Argh! :x

But all is not lost... :cool:

Yes indeed, and many of the remedies he suggests are old friends of ours...

9. Ray-Z

Ray-Z Member

On p. 5 of the newsletter, Ray Peat says that anti-serotonin drugs can help improve brain function, and mentions cyproheptadine as an example. I don't think I've seen Ray discuss this drug before...Hmmm...

10. John Eels

John Eels Member

@Charlie
    Thanks for pointing me to the progestorne thread. Generally speaking, how do the use cases for progesterone and pregnenolone differ from one another?

11. gretchen

gretchen Member

I just read yet again on a menopause forum that progesterone causes cancer. So much for explaining dementia....

Attached Files:

12. John Eels

John Eels Member

Doesn't it say on the container of progesterone cream that it causes cancer? Where does this idea come from?

13. Jellyfish

Jellyfish Member

Some people in California decided that progesterone causes cancer. You can read about it here http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/es ... ncer.shtml.

14. asajulian

asajulian Member

Yeah, he recommended this drug to me as well for reducing serotonin. I don't have a doctor to get a prescription though. :(

Some other names for it are Periactin and Peritol.

Just a few studies for cyproheptadine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9696181

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11485136

15. kettlebell

kettlebell Member

Hi John,

I recently used progesterone for a short time to help reduce estrogen (I am a man) after a bad stress event.

As discussed on the Facebook page it seems that progesterone releases the estrogen from tissues into the blood. If your liver isn't functioning properly and getting rid of the blood bound estrogen a lot of it will eventually end up back in the tissues. I found it definitely had a "Cold shower" effect for about a week or so.

As a man I would say go with pregnenolone (With plenty of sugar). Your body converts what it needs to progesterone and DHEA and the pregnenolone normalises hormone levels (Including Adrenaline/Cortisol), reverses edema, repairs damaged brain cells etc. It shares many of the functions of progesterone and doesn't shut down testosterone.

A big thing is to have enough sugar as it rapidly raises metabolism (Especially for me).

Bolds are mine.

16. jyb

jyb Member

What symptoms do you experience due to high serotonin?