Ivermectin, ‘Wonder drug’ from Japan: the human use perspective

amd

Discovered in the late-1970s, the pioneering drug ivermectin, a dihydro derivative of avermectin—originating solely from a single microorganism isolated at the Kitasato Intitute, Tokyo, Japan from Japanese soil—has had an immeasurably beneficial impact in improving the lives and welfare of billions of people throughout the world. Originally introduced as a veterinary drug, it kills a wide range of internal and external parasites in commercial livestock and companion animals. It was quickly discovered to be ideal in combating two of the world’s most devastating and disfiguring diseases which have plagued the world’s poor throughout the tropics for centuries. It is now being used free-of-charge as the sole tool in campaigns to eliminate both diseases globally. It has also been used to successfully overcome several other human diseases and new uses for it are continually being found. This paper looks in depth at the events surrounding ivermectin’s passage from being a huge success in Animal Health into its widespread use in humans, a development which has led many to describe it as a “wonder” drug.

B

Blaze

Discovered in the late-1970s, the pioneering drug ivermectin, a dihydro derivative of avermectin—originating solely from a single microorganism isolated at the Kitasato Intitute, Tokyo, Japan from Japanese soil—has had an immeasurably beneficial impact in improving the lives and welfare of billions of people throughout the world. Originally introduced as a veterinary drug, it kills a wide range of internal and external parasites in commercial livestock and companion animals. It was quickly discovered to be ideal in combating two of the world’s most devastating and disfiguring diseases which have plagued the world’s poor throughout the tropics for centuries. It is now being used free-of-charge as the sole tool in campaigns to eliminate both diseases globally. It has also been used to successfully overcome several other human diseases and new uses for it are continually being found. This paper looks in depth at the events surrounding ivermectin’s passage from being a huge success in Animal Health into its widespread use in humans, a development which has led many to describe it as a “wonder” drug.

Widespread use due to it being very effective against parasites but now people are going crazy using it as a panacea. Very bad idea as it is not without risk. Brain damage in a percentage of users is one hazard I know of. It is probably worth the small risk and should use it if you are infested with parasites. Not a panacea, overuse for other conditions would be contraindicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Braveheart

You better do more research...

OP
A

amd

The original post is about the origins of Ivermectin (not unlike penicillin) ...

Brain penetration of ivermectin and selamectin
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2885.2008.01007.x

"P-glycoprotein, which is encoded by the multi-drug resistance gene (MDR1), highly restricts the entry of ivermectin into the brain by an ATP-driven efflux mechanism at the blood–brain barrier. In dogs with a homozygous MDR1 mutation though, ivermectin accumulates in the brain and provokes severe signs of neurotoxicosis and even death."

"The important role of P-glycoprotein in protecting the brain from the penetration of drugs such as ivermectin across the blood–brain barrier was first observed by Schinkel et al. (1994). They showed that disruption of the mdr1a gene led to brain concentrations of ivermectin that were 87 times higher than in mdr1a+/+ wild-type mice, at therapeutic dosage of 0.2mg/kg. The increased brain penetration of ivermectin was associated with a 50–150 times higher sensitivity to central neurotoxic effects of the knockout mice, including immobilization, inability to right themselves, recumbency, tremors, decreased breathing frequency, and onset of a comatose state that generally resulted in death. The LD50 values were 0.7–0.8 mg/kg for the mdr1a−/− knockout mice but 50–60 mg/kg for the mdr1a+/+ mice (Schinkel et al., 1994)."

For perspective, we are talking about 30+ years of use and billions of doses ...

Serious Neurological Adverse Events after Ivermectin
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5929173/

"Forty-eight cases have been reported from multiple countries in which ivermectin has been prescribed for multiple indications; clinical review excluded 20 cases with more probable explanations or other exclusion criteria. Within the remaining 28 cases, there is supportive evidence for a causative role of ivermectin including presence of the drug in brain tissue in one case and recurrence of symptoms on repeated exposure in three cases. This series suggests that serious neurological adverse events observed with the use of ivermectin in the treatment of onchocerciasis may not be entirely explained by concomitant high burden loiasis infections. By comparison with the extensive post marketing experience with ivermectin in the successful treatment of parasitic infections, the number of reported cases suggests that such events are likely rare. However, elucidation of individual-level risk factors could contribute to therapeutic decisions that can minimize harms. Further investigation into the potential for drug–drug interactions and explorations of polymorphisms in the mdr-1 gene are recommended."

Last edited:

Ben.

Using ivermectin like candy will also lead to all the stuff it is supposed to kill building up resistance towards it.
Atleast there are some veterinarian and parasitology doctors who caution against its prophylactic and overusage in terms of parasites.

Either way im still amazed how much use a dewormer has with many different diseases.

B

Braveheart

Hey bzmazu, can you elaborate a bit on what you mean here? I have done research but still remain unsure about ivermectin. Would love to hear what you've learned.
If you have done your research and are satisfied and still unsure, good, I understand, so be it. You are responsible for yourself...the research I have done says this can save a life...and in the end that is all that matters. Some of these posts are dangerous, because they show a real lack of knowledge and understanding, and people that are afraid are reading them.

Vileplume

If you have done your research and are unsure, good, I understand, so be it. You are responsible for yourself...the research I have done says this can save a life...and in the end that is all that matters.
Thanks for the elaboration. To be clear, your research has indicated that ivermectin can save a life? My research indicates that ivermectin can be dangerous in rare cases, but the risk is very low.

OP
A

amd

Over 30 Years: The Mectizan Donation Program

"In 1987, Merck committed to donate Mectizan [Ivermectin] – as much as needed, for as long as needed – with the goal to help eliminate river blindness."

In addition to Mectizan, Merck also manufactures Panacur-C and Safe-Guard canine dewormers (Fenbendazole).

Either way im still amazed how much use a dewormer has with many different diseases.

Last edited:
OP
A

amd

Remember the hysterical people and the propaganda? (never fails)

Ivermectin Available Over The Counter In Tennessee

NASHVILLE, TN – Governor Bill Lee has signed SB 2188 that allows Ivermectin, an award-winning antiviral drug, to be available for the treatment of COVID-19 without a prescription in Tennessee. The state’s Senate overwhelmingly voted 66-20, and the House voted 22-6 in favor of the bill.

The bill states that a pharmacist can provide Ivermectin to a patient, who is 18 years of age or older, “pursuant to a valid collaborative pharmacy practice agreement containing a non-patient-specific prescriptive order and standardized procedures developed and executed by one or more authorized prescribers.”

That means that adults can explain their symptoms to the pharmacist, fill out a sheet listing any preexisting conditions and other medications they are taking, and the pharmacist can determine the right dosage.

Medical professionals such as Dr. Robert Malone, Dr. Ryan Cole, Dr. Richard Urso, Dr. Pierre Kory, Dr. John Little and many others worked diligently to educate Tennessee lawmakers about this effective drug.

LadyRae

Ivermectin horse paste (1.87%) completely cured my rosacea and SIBO- like post prandial bloating☺️

AlaskaJono

Ivermectin horse paste (1.87%) completely cured my rosacea and SIBO- like post prandial bloating☺️
Yes I tried it for some peri-orbital red patches last year and it did not work. ;-(
I did the dosage Day1, Day 3, and Day 14. No effect as my intestines were fine.
How many times (dosages) did you do?

LadyRae

Yes I tried it for some peri-orbital red patches last year and it did not work. ;-(
I did the dosage Day1, Day 3, and Day 14. No effect as my intestines were fine.
How many times (dosages) did you do?
I have applied topically before bed...took about a week to clear up the papules, and a month for redness and scars to subside.

I have also taken the horse paste orally, I have split up one syringe and consumed it over a period of about five or six days. One syringe treats a 1,250-lb horse... and experienced markedly improved digestion. No more bloating!

AlaskaJono

I have applied topically before bed...took about a week to clear up the papules, and a month for redness and scars to subside.

I have also taken the horse paste orally, I have split up one syringe and consumed it over a period of about five or six days. One syringe treats a 1,250-lb horse... and experienced markedly improved digestion. No more bloating!
That is awesome. Thanks.

LadyRae

Did you take it orally or apply topically? Thank you,
Both. Topically every night, along with tretinoin cream. Orally about once every 10 days. About a 1" long squeeze on my finger, into my mouth, chase it with cold water/juice.

Kray

Both. Topically every night, along with tretinoin cream. Orally about once every 10 days. About a 1" long squeeze on my finger, into my mouth, chase it with cold water/juice.
Do I need to worry about the hype behind the supposed side effects of taking this? I have had a virus that has ended with a nasty whole-lip fever blister. I read that IVM has shown some promise in periooral dermatitis- maybe not same as a viral herpes outbreak- but not sure if I should dare apply it to my inflamed lips v intake orally at what appears to be the end of whatever virus I've had. Thanks so much for your personal feedback!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals