I've had a cough for 5.5 weeks...What is going on???

Velve921

I've had a cough for 5.5 weeks...has anyone who follows a strict peat diet or anyone in general have the same effects??

tara

Are you breathing nasally? If not, you can try making that change (by taping/chinstrap at night if necessary). If you are already consistently breathing nasally, you can try holding your breath just until it gets mildly uncomfortable and you want to breath again after every cough, yawn, sigh, etc. Hyperventilation can make airways more prone to irritation; increased CO2 can soothe the airways and resolve a cough more quickly. Normalbreathing and my experience support this.

Nicholas

i had a cough for six weeks recently - the only thing i could figure is that it was a response to stress causing a mild form of acid reflux. it could have also been a mild form of asthma. i wouldn't say it was from any kind of peatarian thing. reducing serotonin seemed to help the cough temporarily (by taking antibiotics) but it had to heal over a period of time by getting the body into general homeostasis

tara

Nicholas said:
i had a cough for six weeks recently - the only thing i could figure is that it was a response to stress causing a mild form of acid reflux. it could have also been a mild form of asthma. i wouldn't say it was from any kind of peatarian thing. reducing serotonin seemed to help the cough temporarily (by taking antibiotics) but it had to heal over a period of time by getting the body into general homeostasis
Asthma can also often be triggered by low CO2 levels, and Buteyko method has been successful used by many people to reduce or eliminate symptoms. CO2 seems central to Peat's take on health.
Serotonin may also be involved.
I agree about getting into general homeostasis being relevant.

Nicholas

tara said:
Nicholas said:
Asthma can also often be triggered by low CO2 levels, and Buteyko method has been successful used by many people to reduce or eliminate symptoms. CO2 seems central to Peat's take on health.
Serotonin may also be involved.
I agree about getting into general homeostasis being relevant.

yeah - the cool thing about viewing the body through the lens of oxidative metabolism is that you don't have to chase symptoms. Only thing you have to chase is reading what your body requires for meeting its demands (a kind of homeostasis). if i'm not mistaken, pulse and temperature normalization and stability are the two guiding lights on if oxidative metabolism is being established (and if you are meeting the demands)

bradley

do you also have nasal congestion?
Can you list the supplements you are taking?

OP
Velve921

Velve921

I have been stressed this past month and a half.

I am not on blood pressure medication.

I take:

1 grain of NDT a day
400IU of E a day
2 mg of K2 a day
350mg of aspirin a day
500mg of Niacinamide a day
Once a week I do 50mg of Pregnenolone
For the past 3 weeks I've been rubbing Progest e on my hand for some unexpected pain.

Peata

I've developed a bit of chronic cough this spring as well, I assume due to pollen. I had the same cough in Nov/Dec. from some other allergen and it developed into bronchitis. None of the Peat measures I tried worked. Also, I am on Cyproheptadine but it does not help the cough, which I'm sure is due to allergies/chronic bronchitis. I cough in the morning, after I come inside from walking/exercise (something about the change in the air), and sometimes at night. I use my rescue inhaler during these times and it calms it down. I hope it does not get worse or I'll have to go back on Advair and Singulair.

Dayman

I have also experienced a cough, I suspect CO2 levels. Guafenesin also seems to help.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

So does anybody have any suggestions for me? What should be the next step?

bradley

When I developed a long-lasting cough it ended up being an allergic reaction to a supplement I was taking (BCAAs), most-likely due to sourcing or the manufacturing process. You could be having a reaction to one of your supplements. What's the make of your niacinamide?

Ewlevy1 said:
I have been stressed this past month and a half.

I am not on blood pressure medication.

I take:

1 grain of NDT a day
400IU of E a day
2 mg of K2 a day
350mg of aspirin a day
500mg of Niacinamide a day
Once a week I do 50mg of Pregnenolone
For the past 3 weeks I've been rubbing Progest e on my hand for some unexpected pain.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Big Bulk Supplements. I've been taking that for 6 months and never noticed any issues.

Vitamin E has been the largest addition in the last 2 months and TR Man Thyroid. I stopped both a couple days ago in case they are the issue. Thoughts?

tara