I’ve Determined That Only Starch Bloats And Inflames Me

So I’ve been doing tests on myself to see what makes me bloated and feel inflamed. It’s starch. But a certain kind of starch.

My belly is my litmus test. Not scientific but a good way ( for me) as to what causes bloating and inflamation.

It’s not sugar or fruit. I ate fruit ice pops all day long. And plain fruit. Didn’t bloat me and I didn’t gain any weight. Belly stayed quite nomal and flat.

Then I discovered a very big culprit. Popcorn. I had some coconut oil popcorn thinking that might be better (for some reason) but bad idea. Bloated pretty much soon after I ate it.

And tortilla chips. Yep. Big bloating.

And bread.

Surprisingly, oat bran doesn’t bloat me.

Cereals with wheat in them do.

There’s definitely something to that “wheat belly”.

I haven’t eaten plain potatoes so I don’t know if that is a bloat inducer. That will be the next test.

But the biggest culprits are 1) corn

2) tortilla chips

3) wheat

Can others attest to this?

I feel so much better when I don’t eat these things and no bloating. I wonder if a factor is that corn and wheat are heavily GMO’d.

jet9

Yes, starch (especially grains) is the worst for me, that's why i moved to paleo years ago thinking that all carbs are bad.... later discovered raypeat and realized that fruits are actually good for me.

Basically when i eat starch everything (digestion, etc) does not work well.

Daft

Probably a food sensitivity to these. They are more "allergenic" than other foods, which means more likely to get allergies and therefore presumably non-true-allergy sensitivities to. Could confirm by buying vital gluten and just eating that isolated to see if it's the gluten itself - thought could be sensitive to other compounds in wheat. For corn, you would most likely be sensitive to the lectins in them, or the protein, and so still sensitive to corn flour products (though that's worth testing too, because it could be to the bran moreso instead).

Have read many anecdotes of high dose colostrum healing these over time.

To disconfirm that it's the starch itself, you could see if you react to pure maltodextrin or other refined starch powders similarly or as badly.

TheSir

I noted that your bad reactions came from combinations of fat and starch. Could this be the root cause? I have experienced something similar myself too. White rice, for example, digests fine by itself but poorly when mixed with butter or cheese.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
Yes, starch (especially grains) is the worst for me, that's why i moved to paleo years ago thinking that all carbs are bad.... later discovered raypeat and realized that fruits are actually good for me.

Basically when i eat starch everything (digestion, etc) does not work well.
So true, I’ve noticed that as well. My digestion is affected.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
I noted that your bad reactions came from combinations of fat and starch. Could this be the root cause? I have experienced something similar myself too. White rice, for example, digests fine by itself but poorly when mixed with butter or cheese.
Could be.I haven’t done the rice test. But I have noticed in the past, that whenever I eat Chinese food, I always get bloated, so rice could be a culprit as well. And I don’t have fat with my Chinese dishes. Usually it’s meat, chicken with vegtables and rice. A big bloat reaction.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
Probably a food sensitivity to these. They are more "allergenic" than other foods, which means more likely to get allergies and therefore presumably non-true-allergy sensitivities to. Could confirm by buying vital gluten and just eating that isolated to see if it's the gluten itself - thought could be sensitive to other compounds in wheat. For corn, you would most likely be sensitive to the lectins in them, or the protein, and so still sensitive to corn flour products (though that's worth testing too, because it could be to the bran moreso instead).

Have read many anecdotes of high dose colostrum healing these over time.

To disconfirm that it's the starch itself, you could see if you react to pure maltodextrin or other refined starch powders similarly or as badly.
I could try that.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
And here‘s a weird thing; I notice when I’m eating the culprits, that I have more bloating in the evening, than in the morning. Perhaps our bodies handle starches better in the morning.

Vileplume

I do poorly with pretty much all starches: potatoes, rices, and low quality masa harinas (like Maseca brand).

However, the past few days I’ve used Bob’s Red Mill organic masa harina—about a cup per day. And my digestion has been much improved—better stool consistency and better nervous system function as a result. This has been a long-term issue for me, so I hope it continues.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
I do poorly with pretty much all starches: potatoes, rices, and low quality masa harinas (like Maseca brand).

However, the past few days I’ve used Bob’s Red Mill organic masa harina—about a cup per day. And my digestion has been much improved—better stool consistency and better nervous system function as a result. This has been a long-term issue for me, so I hope it continues.
I use Oat Bran from Bob’s Red Mill and I don’t seem to have any problem with it. I like those products. I haven’t tried any of his wheat products though.

Daft

What do you make with it? Tortillas?

Vileplume

What do you make with it? Tortillas?
Tortillas, cookies (with masa, egg, milk, sugar, and salt), and also arepas, which are just thick tortillas you press by hand and throw em in the pan with lots of butter and salt.

I either have cookies with milk or juice, tacos, or use the arepas to make a steak sandwich and have juice on the side.

Vinny

So I’ve been doing tests on myself to see what makes me bloated and feel inflamed. It’s starch. But a certain kind of starch.

My belly is my litmus test. Not scientific but a good way ( for me) as to what causes bloating and inflamation.

It’s not sugar or fruit. I ate fruit ice pops all day long. And plain fruit. Didn’t bloat me and I didn’t gain any weight. Belly stayed quite nomal and flat.

Then I discovered a very big culprit. Popcorn. I had some coconut oil popcorn thinking that might be better (for some reason) but bad idea. Bloated pretty much soon after I ate it.

And tortilla chips. Yep. Big bloating.

And bread.

Surprisingly, oat bran doesn’t bloat me.

Cereals with wheat in them do.

There’s definitely something to that “wheat belly”.

I haven’t eaten plain potatoes so I don’t know if that is a bloat inducer. That will be the next test.

But the biggest culprits are 1) corn

2) tortilla chips

3) wheat

Can others attest to this?

I feel so much better when I don’t eat these things and no bloating. I wonder if a factor is that corn and wheat are heavily GMO’d.
Nice.
Haven`t completely figured out all the types of starches I can`t eat, but wheat and potatoes are definitely offenders for me. Jock itch immediately gets worse, as well as acne, fat gain, evil fart and bad stool at the end.

I wonder if a factor is that corn and wheat are heavily GMO’d.
Could be, but we need research to prove.

Vinny

You are on to something here.

Healthseeker

Same as op. All starches **** me up. I've tried the gluten free flour and bobs red mill gluten free flour did seem better. I made a batch of six choco chip cookies a couple times and it seemed OK. But when I made a big stack of pancakes with the great value brand my belly basically refused to digest it.

Healthseeker

The best thing I've ate was marinated cube steaks. Just meat and marinade, I got the pre-made bags of marinade where you put the meat in the bag and 3 days of eating just that actually fixed my digestion but I still can't tolerate much of any carbs.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
Same as op. All starches **** me up. I've tried the gluten free flour and bobs red mill gluten free flour did seem better. I made a batch of six choco chip cookies a couple times and it seemed OK. But when I made a big stack of pancakes with the great value brand my belly basically refused to digest it.
I think the doctor who wrote the book “Wheat Belly” said gluten is the culprit. If I remember correctly. But it’s weird how corn in tortillas and popcorn really bloat me. And wheat. It’s like an immediate reaction. Surprisingly, I do better on just plain white bread. The whole wheat or whole grains seem to be what sets me off.

I’m actually going to try to eat some Keto pancakes made with Almond flour to see if I notice anything. Yes, I know, not so peaty. But I want to try it as an experiment.

I’m also going to try eating a potato plain to see if it is the potato. As someone else said, the starch+fat could be causing the bloat.

it’s definitely noticeable when I don’t eat the wheat or the corn. No bloat.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
The best thing I've ate was marinated cube steaks. Just meat and marinade, I got the pre-made bags of marinade where you put the meat in the bag and 3 days of eating just that actually fixed my digestion but I still can't tolerate much of any carbs.
I do great with meat of any kind.

Daft

I think the doctor who wrote the book “Wheat Belly” said gluten is the culprit. If I remember correctly. But it’s weird how corn in tortillas and popcorn really bloat me. And wheat. It’s like an immediate reaction. Surprisingly, I do better on just plain white bread. The whole wheat or whole grains seem to be what sets me off.

I’m actually going to try to eat some Keto pancakes made with Almond flour to see if I notice anything. Yes, I know, not so peaty. But I want to try it as an experiment.

I’m also going to try eating a potato plain to see if it is the potato. As someone else said, the starch+fat could be causing the bloat.

it’s definitely noticeable when I don’t eat the wheat or the corn. No bloat.
Points to lectins, as they are more concentrated in the bran (the fibre left in whole wheat and popcorn) I believe.