I've cut out all beef and dairy for the last 3 days and feel so much better. Temps up, digestion better, edema going down

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Beef is high in iron, gut microbes thrive on iron. Human body can only metabolis 1-2 mg iron per day.

Milk is problamatic when thyroid function is low. Greek yogurt does better as does cheese. Also leafy greens high in calcium with potatoes is interesting then Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio of Vegetables and Fruits – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Good thing you 're taking thyroid. But I suspect some gut microbe shifts, think you can use some corrections.

Iron Supplementation Influence on the Gut Microbiota and Probiotic Intake Effect in Iron Deficiency—A Literature-Based Review
Good point about iron and bacteria, I had good results from antibiotics in the past.

I have very high ferritin but normal iron.
I do have some age spots too.

I think it is higher protein intake that was a problem for me.
I did a low protein diet, <50g, for 4 weeks now and I lost 9kg without cutting calories, actually eating more carbs but lowish fat.
Then some meat cravings returned but I keep protein still low. I think my weight loss has stalled but I have no scale at the moment.

Last edited:
OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I read (here?) that thiamine can help lower/control iron. Certainly when I was taking TTFD, my lower eyelid looked less red.

Low metabolism can deregulate iron and make it toxic. Thiamine can improve metabolism and might indirectly improve iron regulation. Your experience seems to fit into this thought.

SamYo123

Good point about iron and bacteria, I had good results from antibiotics in the past.

I have very high ferritin but normal iron.
I do have some age spots too.

I think it is higher protein intake that was a problem for me.
I did a low protein diet, <50g, for 4 weeks now and I lost 9kg without cutting calories, actually eating more carbs but lowish fat.
Then some meat cravings returned but I keep protein still low. I think my weight loss has stalled but I have no scale at the moment.
some muscle too? or just fat/water rentention?

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

some muscle too? or just fat/water rentention?
I might have lost some tissue mass other than fat but my strength seem to be the same. Higher protein intake improves strength and stress resistance when I go under 75kg body weight I feel weak. That was my motivation for eating more meat and do strength training in the first place. It seems in the long run stress and high protein intake wasn't working for me anymore.

PeskyPeater

I might have lost some tissue mass other than fat but my strength seem to be the same. Higher protein intake improves strength and stress resistance when I go under 75kg body weight I feel weak. That was my motivation for eating more meat and do strength training in the first place. It seems in the long run stress and high protein intake wasn't working for me anymore.
But, if I may ask, what is your age?

Are you over 30? Then you can do with less protein for muscle growth. The extra protein is going to increase the need for thyroid function and a relative higher carbs ratio of course.
[From what I understood from more recent DR Peat interviews]
Seems that from that age and up we can use collagen [gelatin] just like L-Leucine to improve muscle hypertrophy if one wants to get bulky.

Last edited:
OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

But, if I may ask, what is your age?

Are you over 30? Then you can do with less protein for muscle growth. The extra protein is going to increase the need for thyroid function and a relative higher carbs ratio of course.
[From what I understood from more recent DR Peat interviews]
Seems that from that age and up we can use collagen [gelatin] just like L-Leucine to improve muscle hypertrophy if one wants to get bulky.
I'm 49. I've been always picky with protein and did well with a lower protein intake but vegan diets or high protein diets make me crash. I like a steak, seafood and a piece of cheese cake but not every day.

PeskyPeater

I'm 49. I've been always picky with protein and did well with a lower protein intake but vegan diets or high protein diets make me crash. I like a steak, seafood and a piece of cheese cake but not every day.
Awesome
Your experience with lowering protein and having good quality animal protein, seem to fit right in that 'methionine restriction effect' Dr Peat was talking about.. Increasing thyroid function and the metabolic rate to

The effects of Methionine restriction on thyroid hormones and mitochondrial changes in skeletal muscle

Abstract​

Dietary methionine restriction (MR) limits fat deposition and reduces adiposity without food restriction, despite increasing total food intake. Recent reports have shown that MR have an effect on generating thyroid hormones, which are associated with mitochondrial biogenesis. However, the effect of thyroid hormones on skeletal muscle mitochondria content and function is unknown when MR in a high-fat diet (HFD). This study investigated the potential mechanisms of THs on mitochondrial content and function in mice skeletal muscle induced by MR administration with HFD. C57Bl/6 male mice were randomly divided into three groups: a low-fat diet (LFD) group, a HFD group and a MR-HFD group. In the 12th week, half of the mice were sacrificed and the remaining mice were kept on feeding and sacrificed in the 23th week. Indices about THs, mitochondria, oxidative stress, relative gene expression and protein expression in mice skeletal muscle were assayed. In the 12th week, HFD mice showed a significant body weight gain, high circulating THs levels and activated HPT axis, whereas MR-HFD mice had normal body weight although with high THs levels and activated HPT axis. In the 23th week, HFD mice had low THs levels, whereas MR-HFD mice maintained TH levels. Genes involved in THs production were downregulated in HFD and up-regulated in MR-HFD mice. An increase in mitochondrial membrane potential, ATP generation, mitochondrial DNA copy number was observed in skeletal muscle MR-HFD mice, all these were downregulated in HFD mice, however. Furthermore, MR-HFD enhanced gene expression involved in mitochondrial function and protein expression of mitochondrial complex□. The results indicate that persistent increased THs in methionine-restricted mice is associated with boosted mitochondrial content and function in skeletal muscle.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Hey @Michael Mohn, still eating lots of fruits? Which fruits do you enjoy the most? Just wanted to check in and see how it's going.

As fresh fruits I eat oranges, pineapple, kiwi, banana, pomegranate, nectarine, peaches, cherry & strawberry (season is over), honeydew melon and watermelon. Grape juice, apple juice as pasteurized juices.

I did a raw food diet for 15 years and roamed the rainforests for new fruits so when it comes to favorite fruits I have really high expectations, something like Durian, Anonas (Rollinia, kinda chirimoya) and Sapote (look up Sun Sapote):p:

But fresh orange juice is best and I can drink it everyday.

I'm still losing weight but much slower, my no beef/ low protein diet made me drop lots of weight in the first month so now it feels like nothing is happening but by belt is going a little bit tighter every week.
I need to find a scale.

Last edited:

Vileplume

As fresh fruits I eat oranges, pineapple, kiwi, banana, pomegranate, nectarine, peaches, cherry & strawberry (season is over), honeydew melon and watermelon. Grape juice, apple juice as pasteurized juices.

I did a raw food diet for 15 years and roamed the rainforests for new fruits so when it comes to favorite fruits I have really high expectations, something like Durian, Anonas (Rollinia, kinda chirimoya) and Sapote (look up Sun Sapote):p:

I'm still losing weight but much slower, my no beef/ low protein diet made me drop lots of weight in the first month so now it feels like nothing is happening but by belt is going a little bit tighter every week.
I need to find a scale.
Nice. I've seen videos of people in tropical climates who seem to spend all day roaming around the forest eating exotic fruits that I've never seen. Maybe one day if I visit Asia or South/Central America I can go out into the forest for a day or two and do the same.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Nice. I've seen videos of people in tropical climates who seem to spend all day roaming around the forest eating exotic fruits that I've never seen. Maybe one day if I visit Asia or South/Central America I can go out into the forest for a day or two and do the same.

Local markets or fruit farmers are a good start to learn about and enjoy good tropical fruits.
Going into rain forests needs good preparation and a lot of wild fruits are weird.
The world wasn't created for humans only.
Yearofthedurian.com is a good site to start with.

Gypsumking

So glad you shared this. One size never fits all. So many treat nutrition like an extremist religion. I worked with Ray on some of the health problems i was experiencing after Covid and the advice is very different than what people perceive “the ray peat” diet to be. My point: a good doctor individualizes treatment.
Any elaboration on some of the advice he gave, particularly dietary advice? Would be interesting to see how he has changed his views

GreekDemiGod

It’s probably the restriction in overall fat intake that benefits you, and not lowering protein. If anything, high protein is beneficial for weight loss.
Did you use to eat fatty beef and whole milk/ high fat dairy?

Gypsumking

He hasn't changed his views. He individualizes advice. Email him your situation and he will help you.
Well for many years people have been trying to hit high protein targets because Ray advised it and also trying to drink at least 2 quarts of milk for all the reasons that Ray has outlined in his articles over the years. He has now decided that lowering the protein is tlreaoing benefits for him and that many other people are having good results doing the same. He has also been doing experimentation with his own diet that doesn't seem to be going too well.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Any elaboration on some of the advice he gave, particularly dietary advice? Would be interesting to see how he has changed his views

Ray always thought a 5 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein should be ideal. He also recommended to get at least 1g of protein/kg bodyweight or 100g of protein per day.

Then he realized that his carb intake had dropped significantly over time to the point where he couldn't balance his protein intake anymore, therefore he lowered it to 50g/day.

I did a low protein diet from Mai/June to September and I did quite well, losing some pounds. On the other hand I had covid in July and my endurance has completely evaporated since.

Since October I had more stress and I felt the need for more protein. I think there's always some cycling of proteins and foods necessary.

jet9

I need to find a scale.
On your low protein diet do you eat mostly fruits? Or smng else? What are your typical meals? (breakfast, etc)

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

On your low protein diet do you eat mostly fruits? Or smng else? What are your typical meals? (breakfast, etc)
Yes I still eat lots of fruits, juice, coke, some starches like rice, white bread, oats. I drink milk again but I don't crave meat at the moment. It's summer so protein is naturally low, I like squit , sometimes chicken. Through the day mostly fruit, honey & dairy, evening some rice, fish, chicken, mushrooms...

My diet over the past year was mostly a gallon of milk a day w/ a few egg protien shakes (raw eggs, milk, honey, fruit - blend). However over the past week ive decreased my dairy and raw eggs intake and increased my intake of redbull, coke, grass fed ground beef and my temps have improved significantly. I mainly drank costco milk this one:
1692147012698.png
, cutting it out my temps have significantly improved.