I've cut out all beef and dairy for the last 3 days and feel so much better. Temps up, digestion better, edema going down

Michael Mohn

I've cut out all beef and dairy for the last 3 days and feel so much better. Temps up, digestion better, edema going down, I struggled to lose some extra pounds an now I feel like burning fat like a furnace. Why? Is this a beef allergy? I had this experience before but I can't resist beef and dairy for too long, especially in winter.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Yes, because I ate less protein in the last days. Only 2 eggs yesterday. Today one chicken leg, medium size. No animal protein before yesterday. Lots of fruits. Some potatoes before yesterday.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Did that increase your carb to protein ratio?
I was experimenting with lower protein for some weeks now but was still drinking up to a liter of half skimmed milk and 2 pounds of minced beef per week plus some eggs and buffalo mozzarella or shrimp and cod.
No effects untill cutting out beef and milk though.

NanMitch

I've cut out all beef and dairy for the last 3 days and feel so much better. Temps up, digestion better, edema going down, I struggled to lose some extra pounds an now I feel like burning fat like a furnace. Why? Is this a beef allergy? I had this experience before but I can't resist beef and dairy for too long, especially in winter.
So glad you shared this. One size never fits all. So many treat nutrition like an extremist religion. I worked with Ray on some of the health problems i was experiencing after Covid and the advice is very different than what people perceive “the ray peat” diet to be. My point: a good doctor individualizes treatment.

Ben.

Ever considered ammonia to be a issue?

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

So glad you shared this. One size never fits all. So many treat nutrition like an extremist religion. I worked with Ray on some of the health problems i was experiencing after Covid and the advice is very different than what people perceive “the ray peat” diet to be. My point: a good doctor individualizes treatment.
I observed before that with fish/seafood and chicken I lean out and with beef/dairy I gain weight (muscle and fat). I don't know about porc because I try to avoid it but some prociutto/ham is kind of neutral.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Yes. I (and girlfriend) smelled ammonia in certain body parts but with fruitarian diet (plus some animal food) and peating and maybe age the smell has gone. I bought an amino acid (ornithine) to lower ammonia but nothing noticible happend.

Last edited:
OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I found potato juice very beneficial but it's a lot of work and my juicer broke. I try to get in some fried potatoes but the high fiber content of potatoes is a little bit problematic.

snappy99

Would you mind sharing what some of his recommendations were? Just curious for some examples of how his individualized dietary advice differed from the general perceptions on this forum. I absolutely believe people respond differently to diet and we need to individualize. Still trying to figure out which pieces of the Peat diet work for me. I know eating more fruit and drinking some OJ has been a huge positive, jury is still out on some of the rest (like drinking milk).

P

pineywoodrooter

You didn't burn extra fat in the three days. You lost some water weight.

It could be because of the protein. I've actually found that when I eat less protein and more carbs I lose some weight overnight and look leaner.

Grass fed beef is one of the healthiest foods there is. Some cuts/types can have higher histamine I believe. Might experiment with different types/cuts of beef.

GreekDemiGod

ITT meat should be a supplement, not a big part of one diet is goal is to optimise glucose oxidation.
Not sure about dairy.
You probably get benefits from higher carb/ protein and carb/fat ratios.

Do you have low stomach acid?

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

You didn't burn extra fat in the three days. You lost some water weight.

It could be because of the protein. I've actually found that when I eat less protein and more carbs I lose some weight overnight and look leaner.

Grass fed beef is one of the healthiest foods there is. Some cuts/types can have higher histamine I believe. Might experiment with different types/cuts of beef.
I didn't say that I burned extra fat. I feel like my metabolism is up, feel warmer without dairy and beef.
I weighted myself yesterday I haven't lost any weight in the last month :(

I agree that beef and dairy are very nutritional and cheap foods. The grass fed (finished) beef is not such an issue outside of the US because grain only finished beef doesn't really exist in most place. In Germany farmers add 10-30% of grain to the feed, rather 10 than 30%. Porc is another story.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

ITT meat should be a supplement, not a big part of one diet is goal is to optimise glucose oxidation.
Agree
Not sure about dairy.
Wondering too. I just like cheesecake and ice cream and I find milk calming.
You probably get benefits from higher carb/ protein and carb/fat ratios.
Agree
Do you have low stomach acid?
I think so but drinking a glass of coke and eating a kiwi or a slice of pineapple with high protein meals have solved any digestive issues. Thyroid probably helped too.

PeskyPeater

Beef is high in iron, gut microbes thrive on iron. Human body can only metabolis 1-2 mg iron per day.

Milk is problamatic when thyroid function is low. Greek yogurt does better as does cheese. Also leafy greens high in calcium with potatoes is interesting then Calcium to Phosphorus Ratio of Vegetables and Fruits – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Good thing you 're taking thyroid. But I suspect some gut microbe shifts, think you can use some corrections.

Iron Supplementation Influence on the Gut Microbiota and Probiotic Intake Effect in Iron Deficiency—A Literature-Based Review
According to a study, during the weaning process of different babies from Africa, the gut flora was changed by the fortification of iron, having as consequences a reduction in the number of Bifidobacteria as well as an increase in the Enterobacteriaceae and some specific enteropathogens (e.g., E. coli pathogenic). Moreover, in the same study, it was mentioned that the fortification of iron increased the faecal calprotectin levels, showing the inflammation of the intestine [34].
It was determined that the alteration in a host’s iron homeostasis may affect “the luminal iron content of the intestine, and thus the composition of intestinal bacteria” [59]. An analysis of mice feces demonstrates that the iron regulatory protein 2 (Irp2) and the protein of the mutated genes that appears in diseases such as hereditary hemochromatosis Hfe (affected in hereditary hemochromatosis) are highly involved in iron regulation. The test results demonstrated that, compared with the wild type mice control, the microbiota composition has significantly changed in mutant mice (Irp2-/- or Hfe-/-). Therefore, the iron metabolism in the host highly affects the type of host gut microbiota [59]. Moreover, the pH of the colon contents is a factor that dictates iron absorption. For example, microorganisms can ferment galacto-oligosaccharides, leading to a decrease of the pH in the intestine, and thus facilitating iron absorption at this level. Therefore, the acetic acid containing products made by probiotics can be introduced into the diet, and could improve iron absorption [60].

Last edited:

Peater

I read (here?) that thiamine can help lower/control iron. Certainly when I was taking TTFD, my lower eyelid looked less red.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals