It's Not Your Posture That's The Problem - It's Your Stride

DMF

I'm taking long brisk walks now - but with long, lunging powerfull, strides, and it's as though my "posture" is taking care of itself - naturally falls into place, no longer something to "correct".
'Head Held high" "Chest out" "Hips tucked in" - I'm now realizing these are bunk concepts, possibly merely cosmetic. Poor posture may simply be a sign of physical inhibition. It's all in the legs. Everything takes care of itself.
Also, lowers your center of gravity.

BrianF

You may have a good point here. There are certain things one can do to automatically improve posture without forcing it by attempting to 'stand straight'.

I noticed that in a standing position, if I merely shifted my weight a fraction to the balls of my feet as opposed to my heels baring the weight, my posture immediately righted itself (back straight, head high, no slouch) and it was effortless. No straining of the back and neck muscles.

I figure that wearing shoes encourages us not to spread our weight in the manner that barefoot would.

I'm presuming that your positive results are the due to better mobility and flexibility in the hips, hamstrings etc along with improved muscle tone in the legs and maybe even the feet.

Will try myself and report back.

mostlylurking

I'm taking long brisk walks now - but with long, lunging powerfull, strides, and it's as though my "posture" is taking care of itself - naturally falls into place, no longer something to "correct".
'Head Held high" "Chest out" "Hips tucked in" - I'm now realizing these are bunk concepts, possibly merely cosmetic. Poor posture may simply be a sign of physical inhibition. It's all in the legs. Everything takes care of itself.
If your pelvis is out of alignment or you hip joints aren't "seated" properly, long powerful strides are pretty much impossible. That said, taking a striding walk on uneven ground (not a sidewalk or paved road) can realign minor issues. Sometimes an adjustment by a trained competent chiropractor is the ticket. Then walking is very good.

Peachy

Love this! I also like @mostlylurking 's thought about uneven ground.

I benefitted from allowing my knee and hip joints to move freely. It actually took a lot of awareness. Many people put too much effort into their normal gait. But I think the lunging strides is a great exercise.

ps - slouching is better than the military posture (bunk concepts) you describe

mostlylurking

Love this! I also like @mostlylurking 's thought about uneven ground.

I benefitted from allowing my knee and hip joints to move freely. It actually took a lot of awareness. Many people put too much effort into their normal gait. But I think the lunging strides is a great exercise.

ps - slouching is better than the military posture (bunk concepts) you describe
If you are looking out for rocks and divots (and snakes) you tend to move more naturally and the little unexpected jars can realign things that aren't completely locked up.

When walking down the road I think I did better with longer strides. Unless, of course, if my hip joints weren't seated. Then I'd just focus on praying that I could make it up the hill and back to the house.

Peachy

If you are looking out for rocks and divots (and snakes) you tend to move more naturally and the little unexpected jars can realign things that aren't completely locked up.
Yes, good point. Navigating uneven ground is also great for ADD. I'm inspired to hike more.

frannybananny

You may have a good point here. There are certain things one can do to automatically improve posture without forcing it by attempting to 'stand straight'.

I noticed that in a standing position, if I merely shifted my weight a fraction to the balls of my feet as opposed to my heels baring the weight, my posture immediately righted itself (back straight, head high, no slouch) and it was effortless. No straining of the back and neck muscles.

I figure that wearing shoes encourages us not to spread our weight in the manner that barefoot would.

I'm presuming that your positive results are the due to better mobility and flexibility in the hips, hamstrings etc along with improved muscle tone in the legs and maybe even the feet.

I have discovered that if I have a sore back from sitting too long at the computer, that when I arise and really feel the pain, that if I merely stand up on the balls of my feet that the pain in my back goes away! Makes me feel like wearing high heels around the house, lol!

BrianF

You may have a good point here. There are certain things one can do to automatically improve posture without forcing it by attempting to see and straight.

I'm presuming that your positive results are the due to improved muscle tone in the legs and maybe even the feet

I have discovered that if I have a sore back from sitting too long at the computer, that when I arise and really feel the pain, that if I merely stand up on the balls of my feet that the pain in my back goes away! Makes me feel like wearing high heels around the house, lol!
Don't let us stop you Franny!

SamYo123

OP
D

DMF

Also, there was some knee pain before but not now - I've been "underusing" my legs for long. This may be true for others with knee pain.

OP
D

DMF

If your pelvis is out of alignment or you hip joints aren't "seated" properly, long powerful strides are pretty much impossible. That said, taking a striding walk on uneven ground (not a sidewalk or paved road) can realign minor issues. Sometimes an adjustment by a trained competent chiropractor is the ticket. Then walking is very good.
This is abit perplexing to me - how does one know if their hip joints are "seated" properly?

Zoltanman

David Weck is going to change your life, possibly with nothing more than ten minutes on insta and looking at a random pick of his 'head over foot' movement vids.

Absolute brilliance in movement and pain removal. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

mostlylurking

This is abit perplexing to me - how does one know if their hip joints are "seated" properly?
For me, if my hip joint isn't "seated" properly I have a pretty hard time walking. It hurts and feels very unsteady. My chiropractor is good at putting it back in place. I visualize the problem as the ball part of the joint just isn't exactly where it belongs in the cup part of the pelvis (I'm deficient in the correct terminology). Maybe the cup is too shallow so the ball slips out of place a little?

The chiropractor has recommended some exercises with resistance bands that strengthen the muscles in my butt which seem to be helping. I've had the problem only a couple of times in the past 9 months which is a big improvement for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals