It’s MORe Exciting Than Mu: Crosstalk Between Mu Opioid Receptors And Glutamatergic Transmission

Lokzo

It’s MORe exciting than mu: crosstalk between mu opioid receptors and glutamatergic transmission in the mesolimbic dopamine system

"Opioids selective for the G protein-coupled mu opioid receptor (MOR) produce potent analgesia and euphoria. Heroin, a synthetic opioid, is considered one of the most addictive substances, and the recent exponential rise in opioid addiction and overdose deaths has made treatment development a national public health priority. Existing medications (methadone, buprenorphine, and naltrexone), when combined with psychosocial therapies, have proven efficacy in reducing aspects of opioid addiction. Unfortunately, these medications have critical limitations including those associated with opioid agonist therapies (e.g., sustained physiological dependence and opioid withdrawal leading to high relapse rates upon discontinuation), non-adherence to daily dosing, and non-renewal of monthly injection with extended-release naltrexone. Furthermore, current medications fail to ameliorate key aspects of addiction such as powerful conditioned associations that trigger relapse (e.g., cues, stress, the drug itself). Thus, there is a need for developing novel treatments that target neural processes corrupted with chronic opioid use. This requires a basic understanding of molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying effects of opioids on synaptic transmission and plasticity within reward-related neural circuits. The focus of this review is to discuss how crosstalk between MOR-associated G protein signaling and glutamatergic neurotransmission leads to immediate and long-term effects on emotional states (e.g., euphoria, depression) and motivated behavior (e.g., drug-seeking, relapse). Our goal is to integrate findings on how opioids modulate synaptic release of glutamate and postsynaptic transmission via α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid and N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors in the nucleus accumbens and ventral tegmental area with the clinical (neurobehavioral) progression of opioid dependence, as well as to identify gaps in knowledge that can be addressed in future studies."

It’s MORe exciting than mu: crosstalk between mu opioid receptors and glutamatergic transmission in the mesolimbic dopamine system

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
biggirlkisss What are good books to learn biology etc to understand the science more deeply? Ask For Help or Advice 3
N Why testosterone, dht makes me more fatigue? Mental Issues 0
C Why do indigenous people have bigger and more defined jaws? Diet 12
GorillaHead Which one increases core body temp more? Glucose or fructose and or combination? Diet 23
Hans Anti-serotonin stack for more energy and well-being Articles & Scientific Studies 15
Mauritio Caprylic acid effective against Candida albicans , H. Pylori and Cytomegalovirus, more effective than diflucan Science 13
M Organic Milk Contains More PUFA? Diet 3
Herbie Saturated fat protects alcoholics, so why not drink more? Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs 14
bzmazu More good news on Ivermectin.... Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 0
J Smaller, more frequent meals = night time hunger Diet 4
E Is Vitex a.k.a. chasteberry more positive than negative and your thoughts on whether it is bad for the testicles? Supplements 3
TypicalJock Could milk possibly give me more acne? Ask For Help or Advice 8
haidut More Japanese Suicides In October, Than COVID-19 Deaths In Entire 2020 Scientific Studies 6
Max. Astaxanthin Is More Potent Than Saw Palmeto In Reducing 5AR? Ask For Help or Advice 9
Harryedgar Pufa Seems More Anabolic Than SAT Here - What Do Y’all Think? Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 4
ecstatichamster Study Shows Lockdowns Cause More Infection Than Not Scientific Studies 3
T I Missed My 5 Mg Evening Dose Of Valium, Now Have More Physical Anxiety Is This Neurological Damage? Ask For Help or Advice 33
GorillaHead Metals And Androgenic Alopecia. More To It? Hair & Nails 3
J Eating Liver Makes Me Feel Cold More Often And Faster, Why? Metabolism 7
RealNeat Mexico Is Looking More And More Attractive. Any Advice Or Suggestions? Diet 24
not_James_Bond Man Gets Covid Twice And Second Hit 'more Severe' Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 7
hiconscience Black Seeds Raised My Temperature More Than Dessicated Thyroid Ever Has Metabolism 9
V Eating More Nutritious Food That I Don't Crave And I Find Hard To Digest Or Avoid Them At All? Digestion 9
Inaut Ryan Dawson: Twelve Zionist Criminal Billionaires Have Never Been More Vulnerable To Life In Prison Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 2
Hgreen56 Subjects Who Drank More Than 2 Cups Of Milk Per Day During Their Midlife Years Had Approximately 40% Dairy, Eggs 30
Hgreen56 Foods With High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) Contains More Kcal Than Mentioned On Label? Diet, Recipes 8
K So What Explains Why Balding Men Have More Body Hair Hair & Nails 45
ScurveDream How To Become More Than Just A Beast? What Is A Better Purpose Of Living? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 53
J Advice When Preparing For Blood Tests To Make Them More Accurate Labs & (Monitoring) Vitals 0
J PANIC PANDEMIC: More COVID-19 Facts The Media DOESN'T Want You To Know Miscellaneous Health Discussions 3
Hgreen56 Eat No More That 1 Tsp Fat With A Meal To Prevent Inhibition Of The Oxidative Burning Of Sugar? Fats 1
Y Strong.Sistas - Dr Ray Peat Q&A | PUFAS, Fructose, Weight Loss, PCOS, Hormones, Cholesterol, & More Interviews 23
Drareg Quadruple-stranded DNA Seen In Healthy Human Cells For The First Time Read More: Https://www.newsci Articles & Scientific Studies 0
ScurveDream The "childlike" Mind, Awake Dreaming, Thoughts & Health/anxiety, Longevity & More Miscellaneous Health Discussions 4
Vileplume More Raw Goat Milk = Lower Temps, Even Though I Feel Good? Metabolism 8
noqcks Modern Science Is A Sham (more Often Than Not) Society 8
Twohandsondeck Is The Fat Content Of Grain-fed Milk More Estrogen Than Grass-fed? Milk 0
ScurveDream How Much More Powerful/effective Can Specific Compounds Be Vs. Mimetics/surrogates? Ask For Help or Advice 0
E Researchers: COVID-19 Spreads Ten Meters Or More By Breathing Scientific Studies 8
wealthofwisdom Don't Eat X, But Eat More Calories Diet 49
Twohandsondeck Making Coffee Even More Pro-thyroid With Seaweed (tasteless) Coffee 0
M Any Chance To Get A 88 Year Old Woman More Active Again? Ask For Help or Advice 18
md_a Ray Peat Interview Dr Ray Peat Q&A - Weight Loss, Stretch Marks, Hydrogen, Negative Ions And More! Jodellefit 8
TacoVampire 45yrs Old And Needing More Light To See And Can't See Well At Night Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 20
G US Gov Mandates FDA To Be More "flexible" With Finding Covid Solutions Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
J I Had More Hair On Japanese Style Diet Than Peating Hair & Nails 35
jzeno Red Light: Does Anyone Actually Enjoy Red Brooder Heat Lamps More Than The LED Infrared Lights? Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 31
M Our Rights Are Going Down The Toilet America No More Ray Peat Topics 1
theLaw Ray Peat Interview 03/30/2020 - COVID-19, Losartan, Sugar, Methylene Blue & More, Q&A - Dr Ray Peat Jodellefit 12
R Dr. Fauci Himself Says COVID-19 May Actually Be No More Worse Than "the Flu" Articles & Newsletters 12