Itchy, Flaky Scalp - Causes?

metabolizm

Now and again I get a really itchy, flaky scalp, which sometimes also occurs under my facial hair. It's really unsightly and unpleasant to deal with.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, at least in terms of food?

The main suspect was gluten, but I've just about ruled that out. What could be causing this?

Ecto

I had the same issue for quite a while. It was also accompanied by red/flaky patches on my face. After a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that I had seborrheic dermatitis which is basically an overgrowth of the yeast that people have on their skin. This causes the skin cells to die and slough off at a faster rate than normal.

I was able to fix this issue by following the recommendation of a video I came across which suggested only using water when you shower and using a product afterwards called BIOM8.

Here's a link to the product: Skin Conditioning Oil - BIOM8

Edit:
Just realized I hadn't answered your request for a diet related solution which unfortunately, I have no idea about. I would be interested if someone else has solved this problem with diet alone.

metabolizm

@Ecto seborrheic dermatitis sounds about right. I should also have pointed out that I have occasional flare-ups of ringworm, which could be related. I'm going to look into BIOM8, thank you for the recommendation.

A while back I was very strict about avoiding gluten and that seemed to pretty much solve the problem, but that doesn't seem to be working anymore, sadly.

mipp

Do you eat a lot of starch? Starch seems to make flakiness worse for me. Refined wheat and white rice in particular. This was especially evident when I was trying the low vit A diet. Flaky skin and dandruff got really bad. At that time I thought it was vit A deficiency now I think it was caused by all the white rice I was eating. Whenever I experiment with rice or pasta as major sources of carbs, flakiness gets worse. Deficiencies? Insulin? Endotoxin? I don't know and it's probably more complex than that. I used to eat low carb with minimum starch and my scalp wasn't healthy either, just different set of symptoms and triggers.

BearWithMe

Retinol deficiency and yeast infection might cause this. Also poor digestion in general.

yashi

I had the same issue for quite a while. It was also accompanied by red/flaky patches on my face. After a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that I had seborrheic dermatitis which is basically an overgrowth of the yeast that people have on their skin. This causes the skin cells to die and slough off at a faster rate than normal.

I was able to fix this issue by following the recommendation of a video I came across which suggested only using water when you shower and using a product afterwards called BIOM8.

Here's a link to the product: Skin Conditioning Oil - BIOM8

Edit:
Just realized I hadn't answered your request for a diet related solution which unfortunately, I have no idea about. I would be interested if someone else has solved this problem with diet alone.
By 'fix' do you mean you used it for a while and then you didn't have to anymore? Or do you mean you can manage it with that while constantly having to keep using it?
The product seems like it could work for some, seems mostly 8- and 10-chain MCT Oil and vitamin E alpha tocopherol. I have heard of mixed results with those treatments (usually shortterm relieve until it won't work anymore).

Ecto

By 'fix' do you mean you used it for a while and then you didn't have to anymore? Or do you mean you can manage it with that while constantly having to keep using it?
The product seems like it could work for some, seems mostly 8- and 10-chain MCT Oil and vitamin E alpha tocopherol. I have heard of mixed results with those treatments (usually shortterm relieve until it won't work anymore).

Good point. I have not cured the problem with that product. I've only fixed the visible symptoms that appear on ones face and scalp as long as I continue to use the product. If someone knows the root cause of this issue and a way to cure it, I'd be quite happy to hear it.

metabolizm

Good point. I have not cured the problem with that product. I've only fixed the visible symptoms that appear on ones face and scalp as long as I continue to use the product. If someone knows the root cause of this issue and a way to cure it, I'd be quite happy to hear it.

do you avoid gluten?

Benson_Hill

Spray on organic cold pressed apple cider vinegar after washing hair. Leave it to dry in. It smells only when wet. No aroma when dry. This is a great cure for itchy flaky scalp.

johnwester130

gut bacteria cause it ??

consider some kind of antiobiotic - but I don't know each specific one to know what to take

neuroplasma

I have the red/flaky patches on my face and scalp. currently on doxycycline for another reason but the patches are gone. I too eat a lot of starch, but gluten-free.

RPDiciple

Did anyone solve this? I got it to and have never had this before. I feel vitamin A has something to do with it? Either to much or to little