italian diet - large amounts of bread and salad?

yoshiesque

i know this is just ONE example, but its still interesting. i met a guy, 29, looks like he is 20. He eats nothing but white bread and salad. for dinner he ate a huge bowl of salad with 6 slices of bread. he is lean too.

is it all the carbs?

onioneyedox

Probably stress free, happy person so youthful energy is preserved.

Imo food is not that important in that age. Many people look great into their 30s. Italians use mostly olive oil I believe, so probably not much pufa in his bread. Salad would have lots of good minerals and vitamins. It is not that bad diet with good digestion.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

yeah also i was reading about how olive oil has a lot of antioxidants to protect you from the PUFA thats there.

onioneyedox

Just a thought, do you know if he is going to sleep early or is he a night owl/partying all time kind of guy? Maybe musician or visual artist? edit. or a scientist mathematician, physicist?

answersfound

Yea it's about adequate calories and low stress. That will get you real far if you have inherited a strong metabolism and had little to no health problems growing up.

johnwester130

their bread uses only 3 ingredients

also, the flour is refined, so it has the pufa and phytic acid removed (which is good)

kaybb

johnwester130 said:
post 107754 their bread uses only 3 ingredients

also, the flour is refined, so it has the pufa and phytic acid removed (which is good)
So whole wheat has more pufa? I need to read more on this. And salad dressing must be from olive oil...

Last edited by a moderator:

blob69

I'm not sure looks are all that important really. I look good - I'm 34 but people tell me I look like I'm 20 or 25, and not only do I look younger but also the opposite sex likes me a lot. Yet my hormones are very messed up, with high prolactin, serotonin, cholesterol...

I also know several other people with diagnosed hypothyroidism who all look really young for their age. At this point I'm starting to believe that hypothyroidism (at least if not too severe) really does extend lifespan, just because of these observations.

johnwester130

kaybb said:
post 108085
johnwester130 said:

So whole wheat has more pufa? I need to read more on this. And salad dressing must be from olive oil...

I personally believe refined flour is better for you

refining removes the impurities,
phytic acid,
the fat (flour has no fat)
and removes the fibre ,peat warns against excess fibre,
and refining makes it easier to digest so less serotonin

kaybb

johnwester130 said:
post 108236
kaybb said:
post 108085
johnwester130 said:

I personally believe refined flour is better for you

refining removes the impurities,
phytic acid,
the fat (flour has no fat)
and removes the fibre ,peat warns against excess fibre,
and refining makes it easier to digest so less serotonin
Thanks for your answer:)

Uselis

Depends what part of Italy he's from. I was living with one family in region of Puglia. I believe they so called Mediterraneans. They ate mostly veggies, little fish, some other seafood, nuts, used olive oil and once in awhile baked their own bread. Lots of fruit as well and 0 dairy. They also had closest social ties I ever saw, moved slowly all day long and smoked tobacco all day long as well :D When I started to chating about lifestyle and nutrition they acknowledged that they eat/live totally different then people in other parts of Italy.

kaybb

Uselis said:
post 108268 Depends what part of Italy he's from. I was living with one family in region of Puglia. I believe they so called Mediterraneans. They ate mostly veggies, little fish, some other seafood, nuts, used olive oil and once in awhile baked their own bread. Lots of fruit as well and 0 dairy. They also had closest social ties I ever saw, moved slowly all day long and smoked tobacco all day long as well :D When I started to chating about lifestyle and nutrition they acknowledged that they eat/live totally different then people in other parts of Italy.
What did they eat for breakfast? And any pasta, rice or potatoes? And we're they healthy?

Uselis

No, they never ate these things, The lady was eating homemade yoghurt with almonds and fruits for bf. The man was usually sleeping during the breakfast :D Indeed they were healthiess, most happy people I ever met. I consider myself somewhat fit, especially endurance wise and I never could keep up with 57 years old lady as far as energy goes. I think it's way more then nutrtion. Like people mentions they health comes from very close social ties, all day long slow natural movement and almost strees free lifestyle. Food they eat is mostly just cherry on top of everything else.