It Turns Out That Marilyn Monroe Was Peating!

3v@

Hi guys, I recently had my blood tests done and I'm a little down in the mood. So, just for laughing, I recently read about a Marilyn Monroe's interview released in 1952. According to her, her diet was one smoothie of warm whole milk with two raw eggs on it for breakfast and a vitamin supplement, a steak or some liver or some lamb (boiled) with lot of raw carrots at lunch or dinner, and ice cream in the evening. Well, orange juice and cheese are missing, but it seems so peaty to me! :smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:

Repas du soir

WOKE

Raw eggs are pretty bad though, because they contain avidin which can lead to a biotin (B7) deficiency. Avidin is destroyed by cooking.

OP
3v@

3v@

Yes, I know. But I suppose that no one knew so much about avidin in 1952, or that maybe she was a kind of intuitive eater in her own way.

Sunny Jack

The 1950s were a pretty Peaty decade in terms of nutrition. It was widely recognised that animal protein was important for health, and children were encouraged to drink milk. Also, think of all the milk bars, old-school hamburgers, French fries that were fried in beef tallow, the ice cream parlours, plus it was the golden age of Coca-Cola, in glass bottles with real sugar. Even confectionery items generally used coconut oil as it was cheap. Aspirin was the painkiller of choice. The only real downside was that there was a lot of radiation.

LUH 3417

The 1950s were a pretty Peaty decade in terms of nutrition. It was widely recognised that animal protein was important for health, and children were encouraged to drink milk. Also, think of all the milk bars, old-school hamburgers, French fries that were fried in beef tallow, the ice cream parlours, plus it was the golden age of Coca-Cola, in glass bottles with real sugar. Even confectionery items generally used coconut oil as it was cheap. Aspirin was the painkiller of choice. The only real downside was that there was a lot of radiation.
My friend told me that even growing up in 70s places in NYC used to sell milkshakes with egg shell powder in them.

OP
3v@

3v@

I think that this last thing is a consequence of the sat fats fears + "the red meat causes cancer" movement, together with margarine instead of butter and so on.

LUH 3417

Energizer

And I think one of the highest breast feeding rates in the world. When I was in Finland I saw at least 10 women in a shopping mall causally breast feeding.

That's pretty cool. America seems to have hangups over having boobs out and sexuality in general. I don't see what the big deal is with nudity.

RisingSun

You all praise Peat and strive to follow a « Peaty » diet without realizing Peat or Haidut are neither close to following at even 60% the diet you are preaching.

Haidut reitereted that the quantities of milk that are discussed and recommended on here are a threat for iron levels.

Peat isn’t as extreme as you make it sound like either for OJ and Milk, nowhere near the ludicrous 2L of each everyone raves about here.

Raw egg whites will lead to Biotin deficiency overtime.

I’m surprised you didn’t point out she was not on T3, that should have bugged you!

Please guys, stop fueling a diet idea that neither Haidut or Peat even endorse.

Energizer

You all praise Peat and strive to follow a « Peaty » diet without realizing Peat or Haidut are neither close to following at even 60% the diet you are preaching.

Haidut reitereted that the quantities of milk that are discussed and recommended on here are a threat for iron levels.

Peat isn’t as extreme as you make it sound like either for OJ and Milk, nowhere near the ludicrous 2L of each everyone raves about here.

Raw egg whites will lead to Biotin deficiency overtime.

I’m surprised you didn’t point out she was not on T3, that should have bugged you!

Please guys, stop fueling a diet idea that neither Haidut or Peat even endorse.

Nobody here is a diet guru, I think you've mistaken Peat for an authority. People here don't all eat the same foods. For example, I don't drink that much OJ (though I would probably benefit from drinking more if I cared to fresh squeeze it). I do enjoy milk, but I know everyone doesn't love it as much as I do ;). Nutrition is an individual thing and people have different nutrient requirements and preferences. I agree with you that raw eggs may not be ideal for nutrition, whole milk is also quite fattening, and muscle meats aren't ideal either, although on the whole her diet appears to be better than the standard american diet (though that's not saying much).

Last edited:

benaoao

I agree with everything you’re saying but how was the radiation a problem compared to what we have today? Especially in large cities.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter

Agree! I was a kid in those days - Mom used to buy her roasts and ground beef at a butcher shop, where they cut it or ground it to order with the percent fat you requested, and then wrapped it in waxed butcher paper. The "milk man" came in a truck and delivered fresh un-homoginized milk in glass quart bottles in a wooden case. You'd leave the empty bottles and he'd take those. We had chickens and it was my job to gather the eggs. Mom was the chicken butcher. Seasonal fruits and vegetables. The only downside I can recall is that margarine was popularized by the government and so women used it a lot, but it did not have that fake butter flavoring added.

Nuclear bomb testing must have started in the 40's and went on above ground for almost 20 years. Now it is mostly underground or undersea. And yes the radiation was present and is surely increasing.

I don't think Monroe's diet worked for her: "I'm removing it," Fox says (her Marilyn Monroe tattoo) "She was a negative person, she was disturbed, bipolar. I do not want to attract this kind of negative energy in my life." (Indeed, the notoriously troubled Monroe died in 1962 at age 36 of a drug overdose.)"

Wagner83

Yes I'm not sure how she can be seen as a model of health, if she was born ugly she probably wouldn't be.

LUH 3417

If you look into MM and plastic surgery there are some posts online which indicate she had some facial reconstruction done. That’s not to say she wasn’t ever in a good state of health though (before the fame and controversy).