Issues With Sunlight Boosting Serotonin

jay780

Hello all,

I have been struggling with excess serotonin for over 5 years. My issues arose when I started to take high doses of 5-HTP, not realizing that there are plenty of other sources that boost serotonin. I use to recreationally use cocaine and take Ativan. The combination of all of these factors resulted in my current issue with serotonin.Consequently, I began to feel symptoms of serotonin syndrome, and have been trying to normalize levels ever since. It seems like an impossible task.

I currently use Shilajit, BCAAs, ginger, and coffee and green tea lately. Although these supplements help me manage my serotonin levels, the amount of serotonin in my body continues to be a high level. I experience anxiety, irritation, and inflammation when my levels are too high.

My particular concern is with sunlight, a natural booster of serotonin. Every time I expose my eyes to natural sunlight, my serotonin increases and I have the above-noted symptoms. In response, I essentially have to wear sunglasses to mitigate the effect. I would like to be able to sit outside and enjoy the sun without sunglasses, and without having my serotonin levels increased to the point that I get anxious and irritated.

Would someone please help me out with this sunlight dilemma?

Thank you.

Cirion

Sunlight does not, or at least should not, increase serotonin.

The only situation where I can think of where it may create issues is the fact that sunlight is a signal to increase metabolism. However, that's not always a good thing, if the body is not prepared to handle an increased metabolism (sufficient nutrients). If the nutrients aren't there, you could dig a bigger nutritional debt and have "serotonin" symptoms.

I note that all you list is supplements and nothing about nutrition which overall is more important than supplementation 95%+ of the time.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello all,

I have been struggling with excess serotonin for over 5 years. My issues arose when I started to take high doses of 5-HTP, not realizing that there are plenty of other sources that boost serotonin. I use to recreationally use cocaine and take Ativan. The combination of all of these factors resulted in my current issue with serotonin.Consequently, I began to feel symptoms of serotonin syndrome, and have been trying to normalize levels ever since. It seems like an impossible task.

I currently use Shilajit, BCAAs, ginger, and coffee and green tea lately. Although these supplements help me manage my serotonin levels, the amount of serotonin in my body continues to be a high level. I experience anxiety, irritation, and inflammation when my levels are too high.

My particular concern is with sunlight, a natural booster of serotonin. Every time I expose my eyes to natural sunlight, my serotonin increases and I have the above-noted symptoms. In response, I essentially have to wear sunglasses to mitigate the effect. I would like to be able to sit outside and enjoy the sun without sunglasses, and without having my serotonin levels increased to the point that I get anxious and irritated.

Would someone please help me out with this sunlight dilemma?

Thank you.
Do you consume enough glucose and protein in the day? Low blood sugar can cause anxiety and agitation.
Also, don't just take BCAA on its only, but with tyrosine or phenylalanine, else you lower both dopamine and serotonin.
Shilajit doesn't lower serotonin, but seem to have a positive effect on dopamine.
Maybe a two other supplements you can try is a bit of sodium bicarbonate and aspirin. It has a great mood lifting effect.

lampofred

Increasing glycine intake improves my ability to handle high heat/bright light.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Shilajit (25 and 50 mg/kg i.p. for 5 days) significantly lowers the levels of 5HT and 5HIAA and increases the levels of DA, NA and their metabolites
This is my source: Effect of Withinia Somnifera and Shilajit on Alcohol Addiction in Mice - 21 days in mice. Your reference was for only 5 days in rats. Maybe that's why there is a difference.
25mg/kg or 50mg/kg doses didn't lower serotonin, or at least increased it slightly, but was much more dopaminergic and pro-GABA.
a) Serotonin b) Dopamine c) Gaba
PM-12-121-g005.jpg

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
This is my source: Effect of Withinia Somnifera and Shilajit on Alcohol Addiction in Mice - 21 days in mice. Your reference was for only 5 days in rats. Maybe that's why there is a difference.
25mg/kg or 50mg/kg doses didn't lower serotonin, or at least increased it slightly, but was much more dopaminergic and pro-GABA.
a) Serotonin b) Dopamine c) Gaba
PM-12-121-g005.jpg

Very cool. I actually do feel the GABAergic properties of shilajit. It's very parasympathetic. One of my guy friends it made his orgasms way less pleasurable, but massively extended his endurance.
Parasympathomimetic Effect of Shilajit Accounts for Relaxation of Rat Corpus Cavernosum

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

.entryAuthor" data-author-container-selector=".NLM_contrib-group">

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals