Israeli study offers strongest proof yet of vitamin D’s power to fight COVID

Perry Staltic

When it comes to D phobia people need to ask themselves, what's worse, D deficiency or D toxicity?

D toxicity is considered to begin around 150 ng/ml. With some prudence and caution that's a difficult level to reach, but even if reached it can be remediated simply by stopping supplementation. Same if something just feels weird, throttle back.

D deficiency is considered to be less than about 20 ng/ml. It can produce numerous complex chronic problems and potentially fatal diseases that are unlikely to be remediated simply by supplementation. D is stored in the body, so it's good to build up stores to prevent problems, and it doesn't have to be done every day, which can help to remediate D phobia.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Dear Delphos Oracle

After reading your message I am wondering if taking 4000IU D3 daily oral + UV lights (solarium) 3 x week could be detrimental? I feel good effects from both. I don't have access to D3 producing sunlight I would say from october to april. And from May to September only limited to some weekends.

(I drop a basket full of Laurus Nobilis and the head of a black bull as an offering for the temple)
The dose is fine, especially if you arrived at it from experience and feel great.

There are poor responders and extraordinary needs, but if I had to recommend without knowing details, it would be lower doses, up to 80 mcg because it suffices to maintain most people's levels at the plateauing range of benefits; the returns are diminished as you increase the dose and with higher amounts there's risks of being in unnecessary excess for some, becoming a nutrient sink.
- Vitamin D Calculator | GrassrootsHealth

It's good that there's still energy to spend on humor. #sheepleutd

Makrosky

The dose is fine, especially if you arrived at it from experience and feel great.

There are poor responders and extraordinary needs, but if I had to recommend without knowing details, it would be lower doses, up to 80 mcg because it suffices to maintain most people's levels at the plateauing range of benefits; the returns are diminished as you increase the dose and with higher amounts there's risks of being in unnecessary excess for some, becoming a nutrient sink.
- Vitamin D Calculator | GrassrootsHealth

It's good that there's still energy to spend on humor. #sheepleutd
Thank you so much.

Perry Staltic

I wonder how accurate this calculator really is. It only uses weight and desired D level as inputs. People with more fat tissue require more D to reach the same serum levels because D gets stored in fat tissue. So I think someone at 5' tall and 200 lbs is going to require more than someone who is 6'6" tall and 200 lbs to reach the same serum level.

Makrosky

I wonder how accurate this calculator really is. It only uses weight and desired D level as inputs. People with more fat tissue require more D to reach the same serum levels because D gets stored in fat tissue. So I think someone at 5' tall and 200 lbs is going to require more than someone who is 6'6" tall and 200 lbs to reach the same serum level.
If the body favors to store it in fat rather than liberating it, maybe it has an homeostatic purpose?

Amazoniac

You can't expect accuracy from these tools. They would be the 'poor responders', but the higher dose proposed to achieve a certain level should cover them.

Perry Staltic

If the body favors to store it in fat rather than liberating it, maybe it has an homeostatic purpose?

I read somewhere that the serum level is kept within a tight range of about 12:1 (fat:serum). I think it gets stored in fat faster than it comes out, so the more fat there is, the more potential for lower serum levels. I think.

Makrosky

I read somewhere that the serum level is kept within a tight range of about 12:1 (fat:serum). I think it gets stored in fat faster than it comes out, so the more fat there is, the more potential for lower serum levels. I think.
So maybe if you have lowish serum levels, the body stores it in fat to keep it as an emergency reserve if your levels keep going down until they are extremely low.