Israeli study offers strongest proof yet of vitamin D’s power to fight COVID

Mauritio

"Good oxidative metabolism, with optimal vitamin D and thyroid function, gets people through epidemics without getting sick, despite being exposed to the thing that made others sick."
-RP (2019)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This should be the final nail in the coffin of the pandemic.
The strong relationship between vitamin D and Covid-survival has been established in many other studies before.

(Nine out of ten COVID-19 deaths may be due to vitamin D deficiency)
(7-fold Higher COVID-19 Mortality In Vitamin D Deficient Subjects)
Vitamin D Levels Appear To Play Role In COVID-19 Mortality Rates (From May 2020!)

In this study they even went out of their way to prove that the relationship was not simply correlational, but most likely causal.
Even if that was not the case, it should be clear by now that vitamin D helps fight a covid infection in many ways, as it almost perfectly antagonizes the way that the spike protein causes inflammation.

(SARS-cov-2 spike protein activates endotoxin receptor TLR4)
(Vitamin K, D and A bind to the SARS‐CoV‐2 spike protein)
(Vitamin D, reducing fat oxidation may treat lung fibrosis, COVID-19)

Sone interesting parts of the article:

"Researchers from Bar Ilan University and the Galilee Medical Center say that the vitamin has such a strong impact on disease severity that they can predict how people would fare if infected based on nothing more than their ages and vitamin D levels."

"By taking supplements before infection, though, the researchers found that patients could avoid the worst effects of the disease."

"In June, researchers published preliminary findings showing that 26 percent of coronavirus patients died if they were vitamin D deficient soon before hospitalization, compared to 3% who had normal levels of vitamin D.

They also determined that hospitalized patients who were vitamin D deficient were 14 times more likely, on average, to end up in severe or critical condition than others."

"While the scientific community recognized the importance of the results, questions arose as to whether recent health conditions among the patients might have been skewing the results.

The possibility was raised that patients could have been suffering from conditions that both reduce vitamin D levels and increase vulnerability to serious illness from COVID-19, meaning the vitamin deficiency would be a symptom rather than a contributing factor in disease severity.

To zero out that possibility, Dror’s team delved deeper into the data, examining each of its patients’ vitamin D levels over the two-year stretch before coronavirus infection. They found that the strong correlation between sufficient vitamin D levels and ability to fight the coronavirus still held, and the level of increased danger in their preliminary findings remained almost identical."

ddjd

Guys remember with vitamin d you MUST take it with magnesium for it to work.

Oral absorption is FAR FAR FAR more effective than gut absorption.

I open a magnesium glycinate capsule and mix the powder with 1 X 5k vitamin d capsule in olive oil, and swish it around my mouth for 10 minutes

The difference is night and day

Makrosky

I open a magnesium glycinate capsule and mix the powder with 1 X 5k vitamin d capsule in olive oil, and swish it around my mouth for 10 minutes

oh wow. You notice a difference in effects or a difference in potency?

RealNeat

Why? In my understanding this line of thinking is for those who are convinced that "1,25 D is what we want"

What evidence do you have that vitamin D is essentially useless without a magnesium pairing (not trying to sound confrontational)?

The oral stuff is interesting, I'll try it, but I get most of my D via UVB. Any more reading on that?

davidgraham

I assume this means we should supplement with vit d especially in here Scotland? I was always worried about taking vit d after all the debates going on and I think Ray said topically is better? Or have I picked that up wrong

Perry Staltic

I assume this means we should supplement with vit d especially in here Scotland? I was always worried about taking vit d after all the debates going on and I think Ray said topically is better? Or have I picked that up wrong

IMO all this phobia about D needs to stop. We can get insane amounts of D from the sun, more than we will ever supplement orally. Sunlight-derived D is supplementation, and that's not considered bad, even with insanely high doses. So what is the reasoning for saying the oral route with lesser amounts is so dangerous? It's certainly not perfect, but we don't live in a perfect world. It beats being deficient.

toolhead

IMO all this phobia about D needs to stop. We can get insane amounts of D from the sun, more than we will ever supplement orally. Sunlight-derived D is supplementation, and that's not considered bad, even with insanely high doses. So what is the reasoning for saying the oral route with lesser amounts is so dangerous? It's certainly not perfect, but we don't live in a perfect world. It beats being deficient.

1) the body metabolically producing Vitamin D from sunlight is homeostatic regulated

2) D is fat soluble and cumulative

davidgraham

1) the body metabolically producing Vitamin D from sunlight is homeostatic regulated

Minimal sunlight here in Scotland. Only vit d between May and September and even then the average temp is 16 degrees in the summer.

Perry Staltic

Which means what? Blood levels will go up from both sun exposure and oral (or other) supplementation. Fatter people need more because more of it gets stored in fat.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Here is a great summary on vitamin D. Also check out his comments on this Twitter thread.
I very much recommend it.
Danny also wrote an excellent article on vitamin D that I can't find anymore.

View: https://twitter.com/dannyroddy/status/1430225365969117190?t=hFScMDAUD3YfAWaUm_3hlg&s=19

Here's the article.
I think it addresses all the counter-arguments and "confusions" by the anti-vitamin D crowd.

Did you notice there's an anti-crowd for almost any vitamin ?

Amazoniac

Oh, you're also a reader of The Times of Israel? Who isn't these days?

The issue persists here because the criticism was that the inflammation from the infection could be a confounder in lowering the killcidiol level, they've tried to address this by tracking patients' history. However, there are other conditions that lower it, so a low level before the infection can remain a marker of sickness. I know it works, but you'd need the intervention experiments available to convince that it's therapeutic. They acknowledge it:

- Pre-infection 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels and association with severity of COVID-19 illness

"There are several important limitations of the study. First, vitamin D deficiency can be one indication of a wide range of chronic health conditions or behavioral factors that simultaneously increase COVID-19 disease severity and mortality risks. For example, COPD is a known risk factor for poorer COVID-19 outcomes with or without concurrent vitamin D deficiency [41]. Second, patients’ supplementation history was not obtained or analyzed as part of our research. The use of historical results from community health providers may be influenced by prior vitamin D deficiency correction therapy given due to low serum levels, the effect of which is difficult to fully deduce. However, our cohort’s strong correlation between prior vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 disease outcome implies that most patients remain with low 25(OH)D values when contracting COVID-19 infection. Third, while our findings have identified an association between pre-infection vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 severity, these results do not necessarily imply that vitamin D treatment will impact COVID-19 outcomes. Therefore, we should remain cautious about overestimating the potential benefit of vitamin D supplementation in improving outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 infection."​

The official publication is recent, but a preprint was available.

Which means what? Blood levels will go up from both sun exposure and oral (or other) supplementation. Fatter people need more because more of it gets stored in fat.
Extra regulatory steps. We have the same person reacting to venom differently from oral or transdermal routes, let alone if we factor in the complexities of synthesizing it in skin.
- Vitamin D and Cancer | IARC Working Group (4.2)

I don't know what amount you have in mind for skin synthesis, but something like 200 mcg would be from a single exposure, and the body contamination is going to be relatively slow. Check out one of those graphs for 'supplemental dose-killcidiol response', the level from someone with regular sun exposure is going to be considerably less than predicted for a daily input of 200 mcg or so; the rate of formation has to decrease after repeated exposure to explain it.

Perry Staltic

I don't know what amount you have in mind for skin synthesis, but something like 200 mcg would be from a single exposure, and the body contamination is going to be relatively slow. Check out one of those graphs for 'supplemental dose-killcidiol response', the level from someone with regular sun exposure is going to be considerably less than predicted for a daily input of 200 mcg or so; the rate of formation has to decrease after repeated exposure to explain it.

These are the amounts I have in mind. 200 mcg (8000 IU) would require only about 16 minutes in the sun under the following conditions.

Baseline = August, grass, pale Caucasian, cloudless, 45 degrees latitude; hands+ face + arms exposed, every other day.

• Time to get an average of 1000 IU, but in the sun every second day = 4 minutes
Change just one variableMinutes
If Latitude 30 degrees*2
If Latitude 60 degrees*7
If Fall (Nov 1)25
If Winter (Feb 1)**35
If High Altitude (2.2 KM)3
If Dark Skin (Middle Eastern)11
If Overcast19
If older than 7012
If in bathing suit (75% of skin exposed)***1.3

Amazoniac

These are the amounts I have in mind. 200 mcg (8000 IU) would require only about 16 minutes in the sun under the following conditions.

Baseline = August, grass, pale Caucasian, cloudless, 45 degrees latitude; hands+ face + arms exposed, every other day.

• Time to get an average of 1000 IU, but in the sun every second day = 4 minutes
Change just one variableMinutes
If Latitude 30 degrees*2
If Latitude 60 degrees*7
If Fall (Nov 1)25
If Winter (Feb 1)**35
If High Altitude (2.2 KM)3
If Dark Skin (Middle Eastern)11
If Overcast19
If older than 7012
If in bathing suit (75% of skin exposed)***1.3

Supplementation with 200 mcg/d leads to an average level that's above the normal range (about 70 ng/ml), do you expect this to occur from these modest daily exposures?
- Can you achieve an optimal vitamin D level with the sun? | GrassrootsHealth

Perry Staltic

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Oh, you're also a reader of The Times of Israel? Who isn't these days?

The issue persists here because the criticism was that the inflammation from the infection could be a confounder in lowering the killcidiol level, they've tried to address this by tracking patients' history. However, there are other conditions that lower it, so a low level before the infection can remain a marker of sickness. I know it works, but you'd need the intervention experiments available to convince that it's therapeutic. They acknowledge it:

- Pre-infection 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels and association with severity of COVID-19 illness

"There are several important limitations of the study. First, vitamin D deficiency can be one indication of a wide range of chronic health conditions or behavioral factors that simultaneously increase COVID-19 disease severity and mortality risks. For example, COPD is a known risk factor for poorer COVID-19 outcomes with or without concurrent vitamin D deficiency [41]. Second, patients’ supplementation history was not obtained or analyzed as part of our research. The use of historical results from community health providers may be influenced by prior vitamin D deficiency correction therapy given due to low serum levels, the effect of which is difficult to fully deduce. However, our cohort’s strong correlation between prior vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 disease outcome implies that most patients remain with low 25(OH)D values when contracting COVID-19 infection. Third, while our findings have identified an association between pre-infection vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 severity, these results do not necessarily imply that vitamin D treatment will impact COVID-19 outcomes. Therefore, we should remain cautious about overestimating the potential benefit of vitamin D supplementation in improving outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 infection."​

The official publication is recent, but a preprint was available.

Extra regulatory steps. We have the same person reacting to venom differently from oral or transdermal routes, let alone if we factor in the complexities of synthesizing it in skin.
- Vitamin D and Cancer | IARC Working Group (4.2)

Only fascists don't read the times of Israel !

I think you're right. And they wouldn't do a placebo controlled trial, because it's "unethical".
Isn't letting people die, when you could almost certainly treat them more unethical? Apparently not.
In one of the studies even the authors said the correlation is so strong, there is likely a causative relationship.

Amazoniac

Where is this information? (bolded)

If lifeguards are only at 40-60 ng/ml I suspect there are mechanisms that excrete vitamin D, like sweating.

A more realistic level for regular sun exposure would be 40 ng/ml, which is the average response to a daily input of 25-50 mcg. I think this is the range that we can picture for chronic exposure, not the extreme figures that are often brought up (such as 400 mcg).

Did you readed the IARC document?

Only fascists don't read the times of Israel !

I think you're right. And they wouldn't do a placebo controlled trial, because it's "unethical".
Isn't letting people die, when you could almost certainly treat them more unethical? Apparently not.
In of the studies even the authors said the correlation is so strong, there is likely a causative relationship.
If you have children, make sure to send them to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, there's no way to fail afterwards.

I find it surprising that high-dose venom has been effective in isolation and without side effects reported, acute infections are quite depleting.

Makrosky

Dear Delphos Oracle

After reading your message I am wondering if taking 4000IU D3 daily oral + UV lights (solarium) 3 x week could be detrimental? I feel good effects from both. I don't have access to D3 producing sunlight I would say from october to april. And from May to September only limited to some weekends.

(I drop a basket full of Laurus Nobilis and the head of a black bull as an offering for the temple)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals