Isometric Exercise

Theo

I googled Ray Peat Isometric and found no mention of isometric exercise. It increases nerve force which is always useful.

Any opinions on isometric or other forms of exercise reviewed by RP ?

Zachs

I'm big into muscle control which is a form of isometrics.

Carrum

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think Peat doesn't seem to be a fan of the eccentric portion of using weights?
I read an article a few days ago that seems to be saying that "Overcoming isometrics" are more like a concentric type exercise and "Yielding isometrics" are more like an eccentric or negative exercise.
1.Overcoming Isometric: You're pushing or pulling against an immovable resistance (e.g. pushing against the pins in a rack). Thus there's no external movement but your intent is to move the resistance (even though that's impossible).

2. yielding Isometric: You're holding a weight and your objective is to prevent it from going down. Once again there's no external movement; however, your intent is no longer to move the load but to prevent its movement.

It's important to understand that both techniques won't have the same effect; for one thing, the neural patterns used in both cases will be different. Overcoming-isometrics may have a bigger impact on concentric strength and yielding-isometrics on eccentric strength and muscle mass.
Isometrics for Mass! | T Nation

It would seem that the overcoming isometrics are the more Peat friendly of the two?

I am curious about this too. I have tried Isometrics a few times and my body seemed to respond well. But as I was doing the exercises I was wondering about lactic acid build up. Is this better or worse for lactic acid build up? And does it effect mitochondria? From a Peat perspective is it good way or one to be cautious about? I know there are a number of PT's and Functional fitness people in the Peat community. Any opinions from experience?

Carrum

I got back into doing isometrics again recently. I've settled into a routine of doing maximum effort contractions of around 2 seconds with 2-4 seconds build up against immovable objects such as door frames, dowels, towels etc. One contraction per exercise and then move onto the next exercise fairly quickly after. The only longer hold I do is a plank which I'll do for 30 seconds.
I don't like the Baye/TSC stuff. I didn't feel that great when I did it
Training almost every day. I don't have a rest day but if I finish work late and feel tired then I won't exercise.
I feel really good.
Apart from the plank these are all concentric in a way as I'm pushing or pulling.

BeanSprouts

Peat wasn't against eccentric contractions. You cannot do almost any common task without an eccentric contraction. The problem was with jogging and running, which have a long duration and high impact force (on concrete), which is why they are probably the most injurious "exercise" activities around, like with the shin splints everyone gets. I saw a number showing 60% of runners had an injury any given year. Lifting is short-duration and low-frequency (if you're doing it right), so you don't have issues with excessive stress and overtraining. I just sincerely doubt anyone has built any muscle mass by pushing their legs against a towel or whatever. It's a physiological fact that you cannot "force" maximum muscle recruitment voluntarily, which is what an isometric is doing. Look up Henneman's Size Principle for proof of that. It sounds like something I'd have my grandma do honestly. Like if she was stuck in bed, I'd have her push against a towel since I can't get her on a leg press.

I'd refer to Dr. Doug McGuff's books to see how to train effectively. tl;dr: It's one set of five different exercises taken to concentric failure, done once a week for most novices. You use lighter weights with slow reps so you don't crush yourself. It's like 20 to 30 minutes of training a week and gives you better overall results than hours of mindless activity. I wouldn't look to Peat for fitness advice; he was sedentary and more into artistic hobbies. Lifting is "peaty."

Carrum

I don't push or pull against a towel for a leg press substitute.
Top powerlifters, runners, football players etc often use isometrics and with good results. I don't think they would waste time with things that don't work.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals