Is Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) Really What Makes Your Urine Amber Instead of Yellow?

yerrag

I've been told that it's the B-Vitamins, specifically Vitamin B2, that makes the urine amber colored, and I've long taken that as a fact.

But now I'm not sure if that's true at all. I think it's pharma disinfo in order to distract us from knowing that there is some hemolysis going on, even though a urinalysis indicates there is no rbc in our urine. The urinalysis may just not be sensitive enough to say there is some hemolysis going on.

I was sick last October in what I suspect to be dengue, except that my platelet count was still within range, although I was bordering on the low range. But I had fever, and that fever wouldn't go away. I was very acidic, and I had a very high heart rate. There was tachycardia, and thankfully it settled down to a lower heart rate, but it was still much higher than the norm. But I had a recurring dry cough, which made it hard for me to sleep. And I was having cramps in my peripheral muscles - in my legs and in my arms.

I was testing my urine and acid ph using a test strip all throughout a month. And I had not been taking my b-vitamins for a while, out of laziness as I had to make my own blend from Bulksupplements' b vitamin powders. This consisted of the nonmethylated b vitamins b1, b2, and b3. I have borax and l-glutamine in that blend as well.

As I urinate into a transparent cup, I could easily see the color of the urine. And I noticed that despite not supplementing with my b mix, the urine was very heavily amber colored. I expected that it would be lighter like yellow, or a much lighter yellow bordering on clear transparent. I wondered why then.

As my fever dropped, this was 2 weeks into it, I went out to visit my sister and since we don't see each other that often, she noticed that I had jaundice. So I went to a lab to take some blood tests.
The blood tests revealed that my eosinophils and monocytes were very high, and this led me to think there were parasites, and that the parasites were fungal, as I had no reason to suspect external parasites such as protozoans nor helminths. My liver enzymes AST and ALT went sky high also, which corroborates my initial suspicion of jaundice. My ESR also jumped high, and I suspect it was the hemolyzed blood causing my blood to get sludgy and resistant to flow. When my blood was being drawn, I had noticed also that my blood was darker than usual (I was taking weekly blood tests then so I noticed).

During all this time, my urine color stayed the same. This was until I began to take turpentine. I began to see my urine color change, and the difference wasn't hard to notice. The urine had turned into a golden yellow color. I couldn't help but remark to myself how nice the color was as I don't recall it ever looking so nice. It reminded me of Mountain Dew without the fizz, only better in coloration (subjectively).

With turpentine, I was able to see my blood tests improve. My eosinophils and monocytes went down to normal levels. And my AST, ALT, and ESR went down as well. My platelet count went up as well.

I suspect that the urine color changed because there was no hemolysis going on anymore, but I couldn't be sure.

I got the opportunity recently to test my suspicion that it's hemolyzed blood is why urine turns an amber color from yellow.

I took turpentine for 10 days (this time to see if my bp can be lowered) and during time my urine stayed yellow. Then I began to take my b vitamin blend as I continue to take turpentine for the next ten days.

Throughout all this time, my urine stayed yellow. The b vitamin intake did not influence the color of my urine.

So I thought I would share my observation with you. And I ask: Is blood hemolysis more common than we think? If your urine color is amber, could you have latent hemolysis, albeit of a low degree that doesn't get detected in a urinalysis, much less as dark stool? Could the thinking that riboflavin causes the urine to turn amber be a myth to keep us from knowing that there is a latent hemolysis going on?

@redsun

Astolfo

Last year for the first time in my life I saw amber coloured urine. I thought it was dehydration because it was very hot outside. But on one of my blood tests my Lactate Dehydrogenase result showed hemolysis, though I didn't understand the meaning because nobody told anything.

In what form and dosage did you take turpentine?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

But on one of my blood tests my Lactate Dehydrogenase result showed hemolysis, though I didn't understand the meaning because nobody told anything.
Did you use the LDH isoenzyme test to determine that you had hemolysis? I'm not sure but it's either LDH isoenzyme 1 or isoenzyme 2 being higher than normal that's an indication of hemolysis.

In what form and dosage did you take turpentine?
I took a tsp of turpentine soaked in a teaspoon of muscovado sugar each night.

Astolfo

Did you use the LDH isoenzyme test to determine that you had hemolysis?
It was just a regular blood checkup, I didn't asked for anything specific.

I took a tsp of turpentine soaked in a teaspoon of muscovado sugar each night.
Would it work If I dilute a teaspoon of turpentine in a cup of water? Also is it safe to drink If I do not know the quality? They sell turpentine "oil" in 50 mL bottles here, is this the same thing we are talking about?

reality

Riboflavin is yellow and excess that’s excreted in the urine will turn it yellow. Your urine shouldn’t be amber coloured, idk what that is but it’s nothing to do with riboflavin

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Riboflavin is yellow and excess that’s excreted in the urine will turn it yellow. Your urine shouldn’t be amber coloured, idk what that is but it’s nothing to do with riboflavin
I did my experiment and what I found out is as I explained it.

What you said is based on what?

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

It was just a regular blood checkup, I didn't asked for anything specific
Thanks. I still don't know how the doctor made the determination of hemolysis though, based on an LDH test.

Would it work If I dilute a teaspoon of turpentine in a cup of water? Also is it safe to drink If I do not know the quality? They sell turpentine "oil" in 50 mL bottles here, is this t
No. I followed Dr. Jennifer Daniel's method.

Check out her website or do a search in this forum and you'll find out what turpentine to use. I can't describe the specs well enough to not risk giving you the wrong info. And when I looked for it here in Manila, it was hard to find since hardware stores do not carry it anymore. In the US it's easy to find. I don't know in Turkey the situation.

Last edited:

reality

I did my experiment and what I found out is as I explained it.

What you said is based on what?

I use it regularly myself, not only is the powder yellow but I notice yellow urine aswell

riboflavin is known to be yellow. Perhaps different brands are more orange tinted?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I use it regularly myself, not only is the powder yellow but I notice yellow urine aswell

riboflavin is known to be yellow. Perhaps different brands are more orange tinted?
Thanks. Yes, I think your observation is not so different as mine before. The riboflavin powder I use I can describe as more orange than yellow, as you say.

But it may also be that in the past, I was using B-vitamin complex tablets from supplement companies, and my observation when I used them were similar to yours.

But it seems now, after having made my own b-mixes from readily available powders of different b-vitamins, I'm observing differently.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals