Is Vegetable Juicing Peat-y?

Jib

I'm mostly interested in green vegetables, like collards, chard, kale or spinach. The ones loaded with vitamin K and minerals like manganese and magnesium.

Kale is pretty high in PUFA unfortunately. Collard greens give about the same nutrition with much less PUFA. I liked boiling kale in salt water and drinking the broth, juicing the greens though may be even more effective, are the goitrogens part of the juice or the stalk?

My understanding is that the goitrogens are destroyed or greatly reduced by heat. I'm not sure whether the goitrogen content varies much in the leaves vs. the stalk. I'd imagine it's mostly in the leaves just based on the idea that the goitrogens are a defense mechanism, and the leaves are the primary target for pests.

I'm not sure juicing them would be worth it, given the risks of drinking large amounts of them raw on a regular basis. Once in a while I'm sure is fine. But as a regular practice I'd probably just cook the vegetables. I suppose you could juice them and then make a soup with the juice, but the thought is pretty absurd. All the minerals should be perfectly intact after boiling.

"The effect of cooking on vitamin K has not yet been fully investigated, but increases may be because heat treatment causes vitamin K to be released. Vitamin K is located in the chloroplast in plants and the cooking process may breakdown the plant cell wall, thereby releasing vitamin K and making it available for detection by HPLC. Moreover, vitamin K is relatively heat stable and is thus retained after the cooking process"

Effect of different cooking methods on the content of vitamins and true retention in selected vegetables

Seems cooking them should be fine. The only reason I avoid green vegetables regularly is because of convenience. They cook down to such a small amount, I'd have to go out every single day just to replenish my supply, if I were to have a reasonable amount of them daily.

Aside from that, I don't see any issue with it. Cooking them should take care of any issues with eating them. You could always juice a huge batch of green vegetables and then boil it. Not only would it keep longer but it would destroy a large amount of the goitrogens.

Green juice on its own is pretty nasty stuff, but mixed with apple juice it can be pretty good. The idea of boiling juice and mixing it with a storebought fruit juice (for convenience) might work. The minerals and vitamin K will survive the boiling, it'll last longer, and goitrogens greatly reduced. You could also cut down your time investment to once or twice a week to fill up a jug of juice, make a ritual out of it. Just a thought.

It's making me want to try it. I will say that as easy as the Omega is to clean, it's still a pain, and using it once a week would be really preferable to me to using it daily.

shepherdgirl

Raw beet juice contains nitrates.
I think that Dr. Peat has mentioned that plants put things toxic to animals in their leaves so that animals leave them alone. One person asked him about juicing and he specifically did not recommend juicing leaves.
As someone mentioned in an earlier post, beta carotene can cause problems.
I would try to avoid seeds if possible.

YourUniverse

My understanding is that the goitrogens are destroyed or greatly reduced by heat. I'm not sure whether the goitrogen content varies much in the leaves vs. the stalk. I'd imagine it's mostly in the leaves just based on the idea that the goitrogens are a defense mechanism, and the leaves are the primary target for pests.

I'm not sure juicing them would be worth it, given the risks of drinking large amounts of them raw on a regular basis. Once in a while I'm sure is fine. But as a regular practice I'd probably just cook the vegetables. I suppose you could juice them and then make a soup with the juice, but the thought is pretty absurd. All the minerals should be perfectly intact after boiling.

"The effect of cooking on vitamin K has not yet been fully investigated, but increases may be because heat treatment causes vitamin K to be released. Vitamin K is located in the chloroplast in plants and the cooking process may breakdown the plant cell wall, thereby releasing vitamin K and making it available for detection by HPLC. Moreover, vitamin K is relatively heat stable and is thus retained after the cooking process"

Effect of different cooking methods on the content of vitamins and true retention in selected vegetables

Seems cooking them should be fine. The only reason I avoid green vegetables regularly is because of convenience. They cook down to such a small amount, I'd have to go out every single day just to replenish my supply, if I were to have a reasonable amount of them daily.

Aside from that, I don't see any issue with it. Cooking them should take care of any issues with eating them. You could always juice a huge batch of green vegetables and then boil it. Not only would it keep longer but it would destroy a large amount of the goitrogens.

Green juice on its own is pretty nasty stuff, but mixed with apple juice it can be pretty good. The idea of boiling juice and mixing it with a storebought fruit juice (for convenience) might work. The minerals and vitamin K will survive the boiling, it'll last longer, and goitrogens greatly reduced. You could also cut down your time investment to once or twice a week to fill up a jug of juice, make a ritual out of it. Just a thought.

It's making me want to try it. I will say that as easy as the Omega is to clean, it's still a pain, and using it once a week would be really preferable to me to using it daily.
Nice. This is what I'm thinking of doing, once or twice a week, or making a big boiled batch and keeping in the fridge. It could clog a lot of nutritional holes, esp manganese (and K). Thx for your post

T

TheBeard

As far as I'm concerned, any vegetable, juiced, whole, cooked, raw, makes me depressed for at least a day and messes with my digestion.
On the other hand, freshly juiced fruit have a dopaminergetic action and make me feel good.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals