Is Total T3 To Be As High As Possible?

skycop00

I found this interesting. Basically the clinical work this Doctor has done works by titrating up a dose of compounded T3 in 7.5mcg doses to a max of 90. If temp does not regulate to normal setpoint and stay there then he titrates down and off the medication for a few day break, then he starts again and based on past length of stress or Hypo scenario, he may have to do another session up until temps maintain normal. Then he backs off the meds and we know we have "reset" to the bodies normal set point when the meds are removed and temps stay stable. Sounds interesting at the least...

Wilson's Temperature Syndrome

narouz

There is also a school of thyroid thought
for those who've been using T4 or some T4/T3 combo
which uses a protocol of gradually weaning off the T4
and gradually increasing the T3--up to 75mcg or so.
They hold there for about 3 months,
at which time they say many experience a sudden or un-sudden "clearing of the receptors,"
which makes one temporarily hyperthyroid--
and so one scales back drastically on T3 dosage and finds the right lowered dosage.

I think I may've experienced the un-sudden scenario :>)

skycop00

There is also a school of thyroid thought
for those who've been using T4 or some T4/T3 combo
which uses a protocol of gradually weaning off the T4
and gradually increasing the T3--up to 75mcg or so.
They hold there for about 3 months,
at which time they say many experience a sudden or un-sudden "clearing of the receptors,"
which makes one temporarily hyperthyroid--
and so one scales back drastically on T3 dosage and finds the right lowered dosage.

I think I may've experienced the un-sudden scenario :>)
Very cool, I have not heard of that one. I just find thyroid a HUGE RABBIT HOLE and I have yet to find a solid practitioner that can zero in on the right protocol and treatment. SO I avoid it and provide my body with the usual precursors...

FD8

Good data points.
Also--and because I'm wrestling now with this very issue--
on the title of the thread: "Is total T3 to be as high as possible?"
I would say, no.

What do you think is going on when people have normal/high-ish TSH, high or normal free T4 and low total T3? The range for T3 are 1.3-3.1 nmol/L in the UK

narouz

I'm afraid I'm a bad person to ask about lab interpretations.
But could you tell me what kind of thyroid supplement you've been taking and dosage,
and how you're feeling on that?
I might have a worthwhile view on that :>)