Is This Too Much White Sugar?

Catecholamine

So I've been Peating for a while, and while my diet's not perfect, it's mostly pretty Peaty. However, I'm afraid I may have gotten carried away with the sugar.

Is there anything intrinsically wrong with eating 991 calories of white sugar in a day? I just had a bit of a visceral "uh oh" reaction upon seeing it laid out in front of me like this.
cronometer_7-15-2017.png

Well, aside from the fact that you're eating almost 1000 empty calories per day... you could be getting those carbs from a fruit source, like orange juice, which would be much better, or even just fruit in general, if you can't handle the liquids.

Intrinsically wrong? Absolutely not.

As my name suggests, I'm much more liberal with the refined sugar than most around here. There are very few hard and fast rules to individualizing one's diet since each person's needs differ a lot. Context is so important.

I think if you're skinny you have more good reasons than overweight people to eat soda, cake and candy and use table sugar liberally. If you feel good on it, that's another good reason to eat more of it. This may sound fallacious at first but it's provably correct within certain contexts. For example, under starvation or impoverished conditions, junk food is better than no food. If you're hypothyroid, you're on a different continuum but the same principle applies. And, as Matt Stone and others have suggested, once your hormones, thyroid, etc. are operating more efficiently, your needs change and your cravings often reflect that change.

Keep in mind that your diet will evolve, your body will change, your environment and stress levels will change, and your knowledge base will grow. It may be comforting to believe that some foods are "healthy" and others are "unhealthy," but this kind of thinking paves the road to orthorexia. All foods have value at all times, and depending on the context, some will have more than others. The Good News of Ray Peat is that many of the things we're told to avoid (caffeine, saturated fat, refined sugar) actually have redeeming qualities if you pay close attention to context.

schultz

It doesn't seem like you'd be getting enough vitamins and minerals with that diet. Short term it might be okay. I would try to get away from it though and switch to fruit.

Peatful

So I've been Peating for a while, and while my diet's not perfect, it's mostly pretty Peaty. However, I'm afraid I may have gotten carried away with the sugar.

Is there anything intrinsically wrong with eating 991 calories of white sugar in a day? I just had a bit of a visceral "uh oh" reaction upon seeing it laid out in front of me like this.View attachment 5959
How are you getting this amount?
Ex. Adding it to your milk?

paymanz

Check your micro and macro nutrients intake, if they are decent then probably there is no problem.

tara