Is This Something To Worry About? Study: Eggs Increase Oxidizability Of Human Plasma And Cholesterol

Ptolemy

Consumption of eggs with meals increases the susceptibility of human plasma and low-density lipoprotein to lipid peroxidation.

"...Consumption of 2 eggs per day with the meals, for 3 weeks resulted in a minor elevation in plasma glucose and urea concentrations. Plasma cholesterol concentration increased by 11% (p < 0.05) as a result of increased plasma low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels. Plasma triglycerides decreased by 13% (p < 0.01), but there were no significant alterations in plasma apolipoproteins A-I or B-100 concentrations. Plasma high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol decreased by 11% (p < 0.05). There was a 13% reduction, though not significant, in the cholesterol efflux from J-774 A.1 macrophages by HDL that was derived after eggs consumption in comparison to HDL that was obtained at baseline. The susceptibility of plasma [using 100 mM of 2,2' azobis 2-amidinopropane (AAPH)] as well as that of LDL (using 10 microM of copper ions) to lipid peroxidation was increased by 42% and 34%, respectively, as measured by the thiobarbituric acid reactive substance (TBARS) assay (p < 0.01). Kinetic analysis of LDL oxidation by copper ions revealed a 37% reduction in the lag time required for the initiation of LDL oxidation after 3 weeks of eggs consumption. The total plasma fatty acids concentration increased from 2.2 +/- 0.5 to 3.2 +/- 0.6 mg/ml. The plasma antioxidants, vitamin E and carotenoids were not significantly affected by eggs consumption. We conclude that eggs consumption, in addition to its hypercholesterolemic effect, increases plasma and LDL oxidizability, a phenomenon which was shown to enhance the progression of atherosclerosis. The atherogenic properties may contribute to the accelerated atherosclerosis prevalent in populations with high cholesterol intake."

Hans

Forum Supporter
Consumption of eggs with meals increases the susceptibility of human plasma and low-density lipoprotein to lipid peroxidation.

"...Consumption of 2 eggs per day with the meals, for 3 weeks resulted in a minor elevation in plasma glucose and urea concentrations. Plasma cholesterol concentration increased by 11% (p < 0.05) as a result of increased plasma low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels. Plasma triglycerides decreased by 13% (p < 0.01), but there were no significant alterations in plasma apolipoproteins A-I or B-100 concentrations. Plasma high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol decreased by 11% (p < 0.05). There was a 13% reduction, though not significant, in the cholesterol efflux from J-774 A.1 macrophages by HDL that was derived after eggs consumption in comparison to HDL that was obtained at baseline. The susceptibility of plasma [using 100 mM of 2,2' azobis 2-amidinopropane (AAPH)] as well as that of LDL (using 10 microM of copper ions) to lipid peroxidation was increased by 42% and 34%, respectively, as measured by the thiobarbituric acid reactive substance (TBARS) assay (p < 0.01). Kinetic analysis of LDL oxidation by copper ions revealed a 37% reduction in the lag time required for the initiation of LDL oxidation after 3 weeks of eggs consumption. The total plasma fatty acids concentration increased from 2.2 +/- 0.5 to 3.2 +/- 0.6 mg/ml. The plasma antioxidants, vitamin E and carotenoids were not significantly affected by eggs consumption. We conclude that eggs consumption, in addition to its hypercholesterolemic effect, increases plasma and LDL oxidizability, a phenomenon which was shown to enhance the progression of atherosclerosis. The atherogenic properties may contribute to the accelerated atherosclerosis prevalent in populations with high cholesterol intake."
Most people have too much oxidative stress and the eggs they eat sucks as well. Raw organic bug and veggie fed chicken eggs would be the best.
Plus frying the eggs oxidize the cholesterol so raw is probably best.

Commercial eggs have a significant amount of PUFA, which cause peroxidation. If one were to ingest the same amount of PUFA from beef or dairy, they would get way more saturated fat with the PUFA.

lvysaur

Did they control for cooking method? IIRC cooking the yolk through makes the cholesterol in it become oxidized prior to even ingesting it. Might be why it tastes kind of nasty.

baccheion

What if I ate nothing but eggs (and maybe electrolytes in water)? 36-48 truly pastured organic raw egg yolks. Do the PUFAs and susceptibility to peroxidation matter then?

What if I ate nothing but eggs (and maybe electrolytes in water)? 36-48 truly pastured organic raw egg yolks. Do the PUFAs and susceptibility to peroxidation matter then?
Assuming you ate 50 egg yolks in a day, that would contain 35 grams of PUFA, but the eggs that the researchers analyzed were probably regular grain- fed eggs:
Egg, yolk, raw, fresh Nutrition Facts & Calories

That amount of eggs would give you 225 g of fat, 135 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs( interesting!) and 10, 5 grams of cholesterol, as well as a many other nutrients.

If the eggs are from pastured- raised, grain- free chickens, then the amount of PUFA will likely be much lower. Wild Goose has about 10% PUFA in the meat, according to one site, so that would be something around 20 grams of PUFA instead of 35, assuming that chickens raised naturally have similar PUFA percentages as geese.

PUFAs can oxidize once inside the human body, so excess PUFA will still be a problem, but it may take longer to suffer from the effects. I think the problem with PUFAs go beyong just peroxidation though. They also inhibit proteolytic enzymes, which means that digestion and blood clotting will be affected negatively. Vitamin E will help with the peroxidation issue.

Vince Gironda approves)))) Cholesterol is probably protective against peroxidation.

What tests/check could be run to assess the effect of such an eating pattern? That is, how would I know if it is affecting me negatively.
Try searching this forum for blood test suggestion. There is a list made by Haidut. And other suggestions on various markers are useful too.

And don't forget the best marker is how you feel. Doesn't matters how bad something theoretically could be for you if you feel good on it.

Runenight201

Just try it. If I were to hypothesize what would run down, I’d say you’d feel amazing the first dozen or so eggs. Super strong, motivated, etc.... You may remark to yourself that you’ve found the panacea of health. Then after a couple hours and the next dozen, you’d start to feel off.
Motivated by the ideal of only eating eggs,
you’d shake it off as just your body detoxing and keep on powering through. By the next dozen, some feelings of serious sickness may begin to onset, including nausea and stomach distress, but it’s all the detox! The last dozen eggs are still there though, and even though the last thing you naturally want are egg yolks, even though your body revolts at the thought of putting more slimy goop down your throat, you power through! and finish those last dozen! Then, in one intense cataclysmic capitulation to your body’s processes, you simultaneously vomit and diarrhea all the egg yolks out at the same time. While lying naked on the floor, you ask yourself where it all went wrong. The health, the vitality, the strength. They were all supposed to be yours! In a moment of surrender you decide to just be like the rest of the normies and eat some scrambled eggs a day, MAYBE, a couple raw eggs yolks here and there.

of course, this is all just pure conjecture. No way to know if you’ll be lying naked in your own vomit and poo or ascended into the high lands of pure masculinity and health until you give it a shot!

sunraiser

Eat the exact number of eggs you enjoy combined with whichever starch and flavour combos you enjoy.

You'll eat the healthiest amount of eggs for your body that way. I go weeks without them and then eat a couple a day for a bit, it really varies.

RWilly

Acai berries, cranberry juice

I was skeptical of Acai being a good source of E, so I looked it up on cronometer. I have to say that it blew me away that Acai was such a good source of E.
A bottle of an Acai fruit punch is 44% of the RDA.

RWilly

The downside is that palm oil is so bad for the environment, and it's also one of the worst offenders when it comes to endotoxin absorption:

Oil Composition of High-Fat Diet Affects Metabolic Inflammation Differently in Connection With Endotoxin Receptors in Mice - PubMed
" Taken together, our results reveal that the palm oil-based diet resulted in the most active transport of LPS toward tissues via high LBP and low sCD14 and the greatest inflammatory outcomes."

Dave Clark

The downside is that palm oil is so bad for the environment, and it's also one of the worst offenders when it comes to endotoxin absorption:

Oil Composition of High-Fat Diet Affects Metabolic Inflammation Differently in Connection With Endotoxin Receptors in Mice - PubMed
" Taken together, our results reveal that the palm oil-based diet resulted in the most active transport of LPS toward tissues via high LBP and low sCD14 and the greatest inflammatory outcomes."
The best tocotrienols are not from palm, they are delta tocotriemnols from annatto. Palm was used in these studies for their source of tocotrienols, and I posted it just to show that they have even more protective effects regarding lipid peroxidation than even tocopherols.

DawN

My experience with about 6-8 eggs daily for, say, a period of 8 weeks was horrible skin phenomena but strongly increased boners, also lust for sex, but nothing I would consider pleasurable, more kind of compulsive pressure...