Is This Red Light OK To Use?

pauljacob

I'm intrigued by Red light therapy, and so I got this package from Walmart to try. Is it OK to use as a starter bulb? Is the density of the red light OK or too much? TIA for your comments. See pictures

redlight 2.jpg

Attachments

• redlight 1.jpg
    redlight 1.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 23

Jessie

Probably so, but the wattage isn't very strong. I think this is why Danny and company usually recommend chicken lights. They usually have like 200 watts or something like that. Of course, there's also some debate about whether incandescent is better than LED. Appears to be drawbacks to both.

The incandescent are much cheaper, but the LEDs produce less heat, and you can use them for targeted therapy much easier. Like, all those dudes trying to shine red light on their balls to increase testosterone better be using LEDs, not incandescents.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

Probably so, but the wattage isn't very strong. I think this is why Danny and company usually recommend chicken lights. They usually have like 200 watts or something like that. Of course, there's also some debate about whether incandescent is better than LED. Appears to be drawbacks to both.

The incandescent are much cheaper, but the LEDs produce less heat, and you can use them for targeted therapy much easier. Like, all those dudes trying to shine red light on their balls to increase testosterone better be using LEDs, not incandescents.
Thank you Jessie, appreciate your input. Is there any definitive study or information on this therapy?

Maljam

Thank you Jessie, appreciate your input. Is there any definitive study or information on this therapy?

Valtsu has put together the largest single source of research on light therapy, probably on the whole internet. He has put together a spreadsheet of 3800 studies related to the topic you can easily look through.

Valtsu's: The Therapeutic Effects of Red and Near-Infrared Light (2017)

For what it's worth, people tend to use the big 250w clear incandescent bulbs as @Jessie says. I've experimented with all things red light and find a single bulb enough to make me feel better when sunlight hasn't been adequate, they put out a lot of heat so be careful, I enjoy it though. I have used up to 4 250w bulbs in the winter years ago. My experiments with LEDs has been poor, after shining a red light device on my head area I developed a migraine, which I never get, then about a month later I unfortunately repeated the experiment. A lot of people have success with them though. I noticed nothing positive or negative from infrared.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GE-Infra-2...words=250w+incandescent&qid=1596187105&sr=8-4

Make sure to get a socket that matched the watts of the bulb.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

Valtsu has put together the largest single source of research on light therapy, probably on the whole internet. He has put together a spreadsheet of 3800 studies related to the topic you can easily look through.

Valtsu's: The Therapeutic Effects of Red and Near-Infrared Light (2017)

For what it's worth, people tend to use the big 250w clear incandescent bulbs as @Jessie says. I've experimented with all things red light and find a single bulb enough to make me feel better when sunlight hasn't been adequate, they put out a lot of heat so be careful, I enjoy it though. I have used up to 4 250w bulbs in the winter years ago. My experiments with LEDs has been poor, after shining a red light device on my head area I developed a migraine, which I never get, then about a month later I unfortunately repeated the experiment. A lot of people have success with them though. I noticed nothing positive or negative from infrared.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GE-Infra-2...words=250w+incandescent&qid=1596187105&sr=8-4

Make sure to get a socket that matched the watts of the bulb.
Thank you very much Maljam. Appreciate the advice and the links.

Jessie

Generalized exposure to red light and/or sunlight will activate the cytochrome c oxidase enzyme, which is crucial in one of the ETC complexes. This is fairly well established, so it plays a role in ATP production and stuff.

The targeted localized therapy is a little more controversial, probably less established. There's opinions that localized exposure offers additional benefits. Example, putting red light directly on your thyroid, or putting it on your testicles, etc. Red Light Man has written several articles on stuff like this, such as this: Red Light and Testicle Function - Red Light Man. Does it work? Ehhh, I feel like what little research there is to support it is lacking anecdotal testimonies to back it up.

I mean, have you seen anyone on this forum (or anywhere else) claiming localized light on their testicles has boosted their T 200% of whatever? Probably something to take with a grain of salt.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

Generalized exposure to red light and/or sunlight will activate the cytochrome c oxidase enzyme, which is crucial in one of the ETC complexes. This is fairly well established, so it plays a role in ATP production and stuff.

The targeted localized therapy is a little more controversial, probably less established. There's opinions that localized exposure offers additional benefits. Example, putting red light directly on your thyroid, or putting it on your testicles, etc. Red Light Man has written several articles on stuff like this, such as this: Red Light and Testicle Function - Red Light Man. Does it work? Ehhh, I feel like what little research there is to support it is lacking anecdotal testimonies to back it up.

I mean, have you seen anyone on this forum (or anywhere else) claiming localized light on their testicles has boosted their T 200% of whatever? Probably something to take with a grain of salt.
Thank you Jessie. I agree with you fully. One has to be very critical of and careful with such therapies. Otherwise one could compromise/hurt his health.