Is This Or That Herb Yin Or Yang ?

DMF

I'm trying to find, say a chart for instance, that would describe herbs, as being yin or Yang.
'Can't yet find one on the web.

Makrosky

There are hundreds of books of TCM where they are described. Not only herbs but foods as well. Many of them you can download for free from library genesis.

I am surprised you haven't found anything online. Have you used the right keywords in google? Give it another chance and if you can't find them PM me.

There are countless sources of this, really.

yerrag

Keep in mind TCM is super complex and yin and yang are always concepts relative.
Tell me about it.

I bought it his book after a friend who studied TCM in China recommended it to me:

Amazon product ASIN B00XAZ625EView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XAZ625E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't intend to finish reading it.

But I rather see it as a reference book.

Makrosky

Tell me about it.

I bought it his book after a friend who studied TCM in China recommended it to me:

Amazon product ASIN B00XAZ625EView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XAZ625E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't intend to finish reading it.

But I rather see it as a reference book.
I know that book, it is supposed to be a good one for a general overview on the topic. But as always, it is just the tip of the iceberg. TCM practitioners study years.

I myself only know some very general concepts about TCM. Very interesting stuff as it is completely holistic.

yerrag

I know that book, it is supposed to be a good one for a general overview on the topic. But as always, it is just the tip of the iceberg. TCM practitioners study years.

I myself only know some very general concepts about TCM. Very interesting stuff as it is completely holistic.

Yes, you can call it the tip alright. The concept of meridians of energy, the naming of sections, like spleen, is not the same kind of physical classification we're accustomed to, and the yin and yang is not what we think of from a distance. An herb can be yang in one property, and then yin in another.

From my western medical mindset, it is hard for me to shake off the woo aspect of it. It is also hard for me to not be reductionist in looking at the use of these herbs. I tend to study the components of the herb, and focus on one substance in it that western medical literature has studies made on. Whereas a good TCM or even French aromatherapy practitioner would look at the herb as a whole medicine with its different chemical constituents giving a therapeutic endpoint to it.

The most benefit I get from trying to understand TCM is how it values balance. It is intertwined with the philosophy of the tao, and I would say they are inseparable.

Yet my problem with it is that I understand it much much less than I understand Western medicine. And I am like a native consulting with a juju man or a voodoo priest. I have to put my full faith and trust in a TCM practitioner. That part of letting go is hard to do.

And I think justified. If I decided to study TCM, I would quickly find that skills vary, and my chance of success may just, if ever, slightly be better than seeing a western doctor.

Maybe I'm too harsh on TCM, as my sister goes to a TCM doc who fixed her up, but I stopped seeing the doc because he is used to the guru-gaga disciple type of relationship with clients.

So now, I use a mishmash of TCM, RPF, and aromatherapy, and use some simple home tests (new wearables at mass pricing are nice to have) to be my own doctor, and I'm learning enough of the human physiology from my own dabbling and observations. The good news is I find myself learning a lot and healing a lot as well.

Last edited:
OP
D

DMF

A database, and a book I'll check out.
'Much appreciated !!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals