Is This Mold? Found This Right Above My Bed!

Was cleaning my room and found this blob of white chunks right behind my bed's headboard. I had no idea this was there or how long it has been. I dumped apple cider vinegar over it and it immediately broke down and got bubbly, settling down to what I just took a picture of now.

Mold? If so, what steps to get rid of it? To the touch it was like a slightly chunky and slightly hard formation that would smudge.

Attachments

• 20191025_164919_HDR~2.jpg
    20191025_164919_HDR~2.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 219

InChristAlone

I'd be more concerned about the condition of that window frame. Goodness gracious. Looks like water is leaking in or something.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Was cleaning my room and found this blob of white chunks right behind my bed's headboard. I had no idea this was there or how long it has been. I dumped apple cider vinegar over it and it immediately broke down and got bubbly, settling down to what I just took a picture of now.

Mold? If so, what steps to get rid of it? To the touch it was like a slightly chunky and slightly hard formation that would smudge.
Yes it looks like mold. It seems a bit beyond DIY remediation to me but maybe someone else will have suggestions.

Vinny

Yep, it is mold. No bueno.
You must get the room dry first, this will limit it growing/spreading (if you cant afford to move).

paymanz

Get ride of dampness source, (give it a few days so it completely dry)shave the mold or whatever it is off, use a mask to prevent inhaling it. And then repair it with some plaster.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
White mold? It looks like calcium deposits. Is it hard and pulverized when pushed? You could spray it with bleach if it is mold and then remove it. I have seen in concrete that moisture moving from the ground up will carry calcium up and where the moisture will evaporate, leave a white crust. There could be a problem with the moisture barrier of the foundation. But mold will love such a moist place, too!

Last edited:
OP
MetabolicTrash
White mold? It looks like calcium deposits. Is it hard and pulverized when pushed? You could spray it with bleach if it is mold and then remove it. I have seen in concrete that moisture moving from the ground up will carry calcium up and where the moisture will evaporate, leave a white crust. There could be a problem with the moisture barrier of the foundation. But mold will love such a moist place, too!

It wasn't hard -- more mushy-like but not of the consistency of, say, slime -- a bit harder. When I got to moving it the blob sort of become mushier as I made contact. I still think it was mold, but even if it wasn't I removed it anyways so all is better now at least.

Also remember that I took a picture after it dissolved -- this is not what it looked like before I put ACV on it/moved it/etc.