Is This Enough Calories?

Sheik

I'm a 27 year old male, 6'5", 200 lbs, and I average about 2200 calories a day. I will tell you, I've not felt healthy for a long time. Would you say that I simply can't be healthy on that amount? I don't do much, I'm not working, don't exercise much at all. I spend a lot of time on the internet (that's another problem, of course).

I use cyproheptadine to improve appetite, though I still struggle with it.

A few years ago I was 145 pounds and had been eating very little for a long time, so maybe I haven't recovered from that (even though I'm fat now).

HDD

For a comparison, I'm a 60 yr old, 5'4", 126 lb female and I eat about the same amount of calories without weight gain. How is your metabolism? Temperature, pulse, mood?

theLaw

I'm just under your weight, and eat between 3500-4000 calories per day (i'm pretty active).

You can listen to other's opinions here, or you can just run a simple experiment:

Add 500 healthy calories (milk and sugar are probably the easiest) per week for 4 weeks, and monitor your results.

Also, there has never been a human alive who was fat at 200lbs and 6'5", so you might want to deal with that issue as well.

Cheers! :D

Stud

6'2 also 200 pound I eat 4000 cals though lol and thats without roids. def try upping those and taurine seems to be the most effective in boosting my health

OP
S

Sheik

For a comparison, I'm a 60 yr old, 5'4", 126 lb female and I eat about the same amount of calories without weight gain. How is your metabolism? Temperature, pulse, mood?
Oddly, I had my TSH tested during a hospital visit and it was 0.71 (standard units). I was feeling absolutely miserable at the time.

At any rate I'd guess my metabolism is not good. Maybe it's time to eat like a competitive eater and maybe start taking T3. My temps are a bit low, my pulse is usually high due to adrenaline. Mood is generally awful.

I'm just under your weight, and eat between 3500-4000 calories per day (i'm pretty active).

You can listen to other's opinions here, or you can just run a simple experiment:

Add 500 healthy calories (milk and sugar are probably the easiest) per week for 4 weeks, and monitor your results.

Also, there has never been a human alive who was fat at 200lbs and 6'5", so you might want to deal with that issue as well.

Bro i'm srsly fat. My gut is huge and my waist band is always flipped forward. At any rate I'm definitely going to try to get those extra calories. I'd rather be fat than miserable.

6'2 also 200 pound I eat 4000 cals though lol and thats without roids. def try upping those and taurine seems to be the most effective in boosting my health

How active are you?

I can definitely try taurine.

Stud

couch potato active
Oddly, I had my TSH tested during a hospital visit and it was 0.71 (standard units). I was feeling absolutely miserable at the time.

At any rate I'd guess my metabolism is not good. Maybe it's time to eat like a competitive eater and maybe start taking T3. My temps are a bit low, my pulse is usually high due to adrenaline. Mood is generally awful.

Bro i'm srsly fat. My gut is huge and my waist band is always flipped forward. At any rate I'm definitely going to try to get those extra calories. I'd rather be fat than miserable.

How active are you?

I can definitely try taurine.
honestly taurine would be perf if you want to get rid of fat and still improve metabolism. If I was you I woud really start taking it or/ and T3

theLaw

The math just doesn't add up here. There's something missing in your description (ex. very little muscle-mass in arms and legs), and it takes a lot of weight for tall males to actually look fat.

If you're really showing that much belly-bloat, then you might have some serious inflammation.

You might try this along with the extra calories :

Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS)

Also, you can try a quick test to kill adrenaline:

Take Aspirin in the following doses:

1G upon waking
500mg every 4hrs
1G before bed

Just be sure to take the proper amount of vitamin k with it, and stop if you start hearing ringing in your ears.

This will block the release of pufa into the blood, and you might notice an immediate effect. Cheers!:cool:

jitsmonkey

the answer without context is absolutely NO.

however all of the advice given above is sound as it relates to your context.
point being you absolutely want to figure out how much MORE you can eat without weight gain
and you want to work on improving your metabolism so you can eat even more than that.

At one time I could not eat more than 1800 cals per day without weight gain
I now eat 3000ish daily. I'm only 5'5"

HDD

Appetite increases with metabolism. Do you drink milk? Maybe post your diet/supplements for further advice.

Arnold Grape

I am about the same height and weight, with potentially a similar body type. Recently I've been consuming slightly north of what you're eating, depending on how much ice cream I eat before bed. What's interesting to me is that since I began Peating (which is nearly an elimination diet with all of the things people are wont to eat here -- I have a serious case of Peat-inspired ortho, if we're really getting down to it), my body type has definitely changed in terms of reduced muscle mass and I am almost completely self conscious in a gym. (Recently I was naked with a girl and she noticed my hands felt rough; when I told her it was from exercise in a gym, she said, REALLY? Ahahaha!)

Anyhow, I have no idea how people get their calories up to 3500 or more in a day because I eat all the time and struggle to hit 3000? My new thing is adding rice to some meals and starch where there wasn't any before (Rice adds a significant amount of calories). But I think my metabolism is so speedy that I am cooking through nearly everything I eat. Anyway, I still have a disproportionate stomach when compared to being slender everywhere else. Did somebody say Casein? -That might be a good way of getting extra protein/ cals, but it's not cheap.

Prosper

You never exercise and sit most of the time. Most likely scenario: you're not fat, but only SEEM so because your posture is weak. Stomach should be slightly sucked in all the time with the pelvis tucked forward. See pics, taken <1 min apart

upload_2017-12-7_21-46-6.png

jitsmonkey

I am about the same height and weight, with potentially a similar body type. Recently I've been consuming slightly north of what you're eating, depending on how much ice cream I eat before bed. What's interesting to me is that since I began Peating (which is nearly an elimination diet with all of the things people are wont to eat here -- I have a serious case of Peat-inspired ortho, if we're really getting down to it), my body type has definitely changed in terms of reduced muscle mass and I am almost completely self conscious in a gym. (Recently I was naked with a girl and she noticed my hands felt rough; when I told her it was from exercise in a gym, she said, REALLY? Ahahaha!)

Anyhow, I have no idea how people get their calories up to 3500 or more in a day because I eat all the time and struggle to hit 3000? My new thing is adding rice to some meals and starch where there wasn't any before (Rice adds a significant amount of calories). But I think my metabolism is so speedy that I am cooking through nearly everything I eat. Anyway, I still have a disproportionate stomach when compared to being slender everywhere else. Did somebody say Casein? -That might be a good way of getting extra protein/ cals, but it's not cheap.

Adding straight sugar to drinks, meals, etc will help get your cals and metabolism up easily.
Important to not over eat cals too fast to avoid weight gain. In time it will happen if you make the effort

Steve

How on earth do some of you eat so much & not gain fat? I'm assuming you are in your 20's. Are you very active?

I'm 6'1'', 188 lbs, 46 years old, 1 hour of exercise every day.
My calorie needs almost exactly fit the BMR & TDEE calculators.
2,800 maintains.

I'm eating 2,500 right now trying to lose excess stomach fat.
I would love to be able to eat 3,000 or more every day & be lean doing it. I love to eat!

nbznj

go with 15 times your bodyweight to begin with. WIth zero and i mean NO empty calories meaning, caloric dense foods but low in vitamins and minerals (starches, oils, cream, stuff like this)

This also answers to the last question - if you eat a LOT but it's high glucose and high vitamins and minerals, you don't gain fat. You just fire up your metabolism, produce a lot of heat, stay healthy, see all your tissues grow. It's a very desirable state to be in

I'm 29 by the way, and healthier and bigger than ever. I guess I'll be SUPER HAPPY to be 30 and ask to those people who talk about the mysterious slowdown in metabolism and sudden health going to ***t: now what?

Steve

go with 15 times your bodyweight to begin with. WIth zero and i mean NO empty calories meaning, caloric dense foods but low in vitamins and minerals (starches, oils, cream, stuff like this)

This also answers to the last question - if you eat a LOT but it's high glucose and high vitamins and minerals, you don't gain fat. You just fire up your metabolism, produce a lot of heat, stay healthy, see all your tissues grow. It's a very desirable state to be in

I'm 29 by the way, and healthier and bigger than ever. I guess I'll be SUPER HAPPY to be 30 and ask to those people who talk about the mysterious slowdown in metabolism and sudden health going to ***t: now what?
I'd like to give this a try, but does that mean no white rice?
That's my saving grace right now for simplifying my life & making lunch to eat at work every day (Rice with meat & sometimes a veggie, & some fruit).
I usually eat that twice while at work.
Once in a while I'll try meat & fruit (skip the starch), but it just doesn't feel right.

Also how do you get very many calories if no (starches, oils, cream, stuff like this)?
What would an example dinner meal be?

nbznj

typical day for me

- 3 eggs omelette with goat cheese cooked in salted butter
- Bring orange juice with Calcium and a green smoothie to work (Naked brand seems great and uses xylitol). Sip on them
- Big salad for lunch, 2 beets one avocado spinach garlic-infused olive oil apple cider vinegar. 2 bananas and 2 apples for snacks.
- I suggest you lift or do cardio after work (alternate both) and use a gainer if you can't hit your calories. Optimum nutrition serious mass has great micronutrition. TrueNutrition has some pretty fantastic protein formulas you can custom
- Dinner is mostly half rotisserie chicken or seafood with puréed yams. Or more salad/kale

theLaw

How on earth do some of you eat so much & not gain fat? I'm assuming you are in your 20's. Are you very active?

I'm 6'1'', 188 lbs, 46 years old, 1 hour of exercise every day.
My calorie needs almost exactly fit the BMR & TDEE calculators.
2,800 maintains.

I'm eating 2,500 right now trying to lose excess stomach fat.
I would love to be able to eat 3,000 or more every day & be lean doing it. I love to eat!

Here's your answer:

Getting Ripped With Dr Peat

VoS Uncoupling Thread

OP
S

Sheik

Everyday I eat:
-2 eggs
-yoplait yogurt
-rice pudding
-grape or orange juice
-milk
-A&W or Sprite

Other staples:
-cheese
-potatoes
-honey
-ice cream
-meat (beef or chicken)

Sometimes:
-pretzels
-bananas
-whatever normie food my friends/family are eating

I take A D E and K, and 1-2mg of cypro daily. ~200mg of aspirin every other day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have strongly suspected my glycogen stores are chronically depleted. I've gone through this cycle of eating too little and then eating more, and one time I was deficient in potassium despite eating over 1 cup of mashed potatoes and 2 bananas every single day. So I think refeeding syndrome has been an issue for me. What do you guys think? My doctor poo-pooed the idea because he said that's only a risk for people who eat almost nothing. But when you factor in the constant panic attacks and history of severely undereating I think it seems quite likely.

I haven't lost a ton of muscle mass but my muscles are a lot more squishy than they used to be (though maybe that's because I'm not working). I've developed soreness around my nipples which I guess is mild gyno.

If we really are supposed to be eating more than 3000 calories (and especially if you're going to the gym) then the theory that our metabolism is low due to undereating seems quite possible.

You never exercise and sit most of the time. Most likely scenario: you're not fat, but only SEEM so because your posture is weak. Stomach should be slightly sucked in all the time with the pelvis tucked forward. See pics, taken <1 min apart

View attachment 7505
That's a good point, I'm sure that's a factor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In addition to all that, I have active kundalini, and this morning I found out my testosterone is 244 ng/dl.

@haidut I was thinking of trying Gonadin. Would this be a bad idea considering the undereating and frequent panic attacks? Things which boost metabolism seem dangerous when there isn't that caloric input. What would you suggest regarding testosterone and these problems?

I seem to have dug myself into a hole and I'm ready to make some big changes. Eating is hard but if I have no choice but to force myself to eat 3000 calories a day that's what I'm going to do.

OP
S

Sheik

It's been hard to think recently. It feels like a chore, even though I've been eating a lot more. This may seem paradoxical, but I think it makes sense. It was speculated in another thread that high stress hormones contribute to deep intellectual thinking. Or something along those lines.

I think I might be attached to this stress-based thinking "ability", thinking I need it to feel safe. One example of this is when I took lithium; it made me feel so alright that I freaked out.

When I don't eat enough during the day, I wake up feeling awful. I'm numb to the hunger but I know what I need is to eat.

But when I'm eating a lot more (like the past couple of days) I wake up feeling awful in a very different way. More like a deflated feeling. So I'd think that's simply hypothyroidism; stress hormones are lower and thyroid isn't picking up the slack yet. I'm thinking of trying a couple mcg of T3 but I'm worried that it will give me anxiety. I feel honestly quite fragile right now. I feel like I could lose my mind (with the kundalini and stuff).

But I'll probably try the T3. And I think when I tie up some loose ends in my life I'll be less fixated on thoughts of going insane.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals