Is This Bread "peaty" Enough?

Summer

It's made by Inked Organics and called Rosie's San Francisco Sourdough. I found it at Whole Foods. What really stood out to me was the fact that it has no oil.

Here are the ingredients:

Organic Wheat Flour, Filtered Water, Organic Naturally Aged Sourdough Starter, Unprocessed Sea Salt, Organic Whole Wheat Flour, Organic Wheat Gluten, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Enzymes

Toasting it up with butter... too satisfying. I know gluten is generally regarded as a problem around here. I was wondering about the other stuff too.

milkboi

I would consider that edible. A bread completely consisting of sour dough would be preferable tho.

OP
Summer

Summer

I would consider that edible. A bread completely consisting of sour dough would be preferable tho.

Wait so it’s not even real sourdough? I wonder if that’s available in any stores. Sourdough bread sounds like a hassle to make but maybe it’s worth it.

Aspekt

If you feel fine, and continue to do so, it might be ok. I've realised I have a form of gluten intolerance that has a substantial delay, about 3 days after ingestion I start getting all sorts of unpleasant gut symptoms and generally feeling strange/off. I saw a quote from Dave Asprey of all people, talking about how he had negative symptoms 72 hours after and tested it myself. Usually if I don't react well to a starch it's evident straight away or within an hour, I actually feel ok on the day of eating wheat, maybe a little foggy. Something to watch out for.

You could probably make the arguement that since gluten increases zonulin, which expands the tight junctions causing greater intestinal permeability and subsequently vulnerability to endotoxin, it should potentially be avoided by everyone (trying to improve their health), but it's up to the individual. I sometimes make cheesebread using tapioca flour, if I'm really craving a bread fix.

milkboi

Wait so it’s not even real sourdough? I wonder if that’s available in any stores. Sourdough bread sounds like a hassle to make but maybe it’s worth it.

Oh no sorry, I misread, seems like it is the real thing.

dreamcatcher

It's made by Inked Organics and called Rosie's San Francisco Sourdough. I found it at Whole Foods. What really stood out to me was the fact that it has no oil.

Here are the ingredients:

Organic Wheat Flour, Filtered Water, Organic Naturally Aged Sourdough Starter, Unprocessed Sea Salt, Organic Whole Wheat Flour, Organic Wheat Gluten, Ascorbic Acid, Natural Enzymes

Toasting it up with butter... too satisfying. I know gluten is generally regarded as a problem around here. I was wondering about the other stuff too.
The ascorbic acid is a 'poison' according to Peat.

Lollipop2

Try making your own. With this 15 min video, I learned how to make it and I bake it regularly for myself and my husband. I use All Purpose Einkorn flour instead of regular All Purpose.

boris

@Summer the ingredient list reveal that it is more of a marketing gag.

One of the reasons to make a sourdough is so the gluten gets broken down in the fermentation process and make the bread more easily digestible and less offensive to the gut. So they destroy that whole purpose by adding gluten back in.

Also the enzymes they add for extending shelflife are are suspect to cause problems. But at least they list them on the package on that product ;). In germany they don‘t tell you about it.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Try making your own. With this 15 min video, I learned how to make it and I bake it regularly for myself and my husband. I use All Purpose Einkorn flour instead of regular All Purpose.

To be even more in line with Peat, use sprouted flours, in which the sprouting process removes the plant toxins, etc. that Peat talks about. A bit expensive, but better for digestion, etc.: To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co. |

OP
Summer

Summer

Okay wow. You guys have given me a lot to consider. Gluten and ascorbic acid are problems. I'll check out that baking video. I just wonder since the recipe is so quick if it has enough time to actually ferment. I would love to find a bread alternative. It makes getting enough calories so much easier and more enjoyable. I'm sick of sweet potatoes and rice. I would go with actual potatoes but I've read a lot of negative things about them. Too much fruit makes me feel unwell. I will admit that the bread I'm eating now has caused some digestive issues the past two days. Dang. The search continues. Thanks for the advice.

boris

@Summer normal potatoes are at least Peat approved if you can handle starch well. Just cook at least 45 minutes to break down the starch.
Also nixtamalized corn tortillas and tacos can be a good nutritious and easily digestible bread alternative.

Also ascorbic acid is not exactly a poison according to Peat. He is not a fan of it because of potential impurities (heavy metals) from the manufacturing processes. He used it himself for a long time, but then stopped when manufacturing changed and he noticed bad effects from it. It is not clear if/all companies still use these processes. Some people have good results with ascorbic acid.
Mixed with iron fortified flour it would be toxic.

Last edited:

pauljacob

@Summer Also nixtamalized corn tortillas and tacos can be a good nutritious and easily digestible bread alternative.
I usually am more concerned with the preservatives in food than the food itself. I like corn Tortillas but I stopped eating them, as well as flour Tortillas because of the preservatives they use on them. Here's the chemical cocktail used for Tortillas I buy in Phoenix, AZ:

La Banderita White Corn Tortillas. WHOLE GRAIN CORN, WATER, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: PRESERVATIVES (PROPIONIC ACID, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, BENZOIC ACID), XANTHAM GUM, AND TRACES OF FOOD GRADE LIME.

Here's some side effects of just Benzoic Acid:
Benzoic acid does have several side effects associated with its use. The highest risk groups experiencing these side effects include children, individuals sensitive to aspirin and individuals with liver conditions such as hepatitis. Side effects of benzoic acid include gastrointestinal irritation, asthma, rashes and itching and irritation of your skin and eyes.

There has also been some concern that benzoic acid and its salts may react with ascorbic acid in soft drinks, forming small quantities of benzene. This is a worry because benzene is toxic and linked to many forms of cancer.
https://www.bfr.bund.de/cm/349/indi...ion_of_benzene_from_benzoic_acid_in_foods.pdf

Lollipop2

@Lollipop2 do you have good results with einkorn flour? No problem for digestion if I may ask?
No problems at all - in fact my husband who had problems with regular all purpose has no problems with the Einkorn all purpose. Not sure why exactly. The flavor is amazing. You have to reduce the water by a little bit. They explain this on the Jovial Einkorn website.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals