Is This A Natural Progesterone?

mamaherrera

I ordered and receive simply progesterone from http://www.healthnatura.com/. Is this a reputable and bio-type of progesterone?? And just curious. Why does Ray Peat's proges-e have to include CA's warning about progesterone being known to cause cancer?? Is it really safe to take progesterone?? No risk in causing cancer?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I ordered and receive simply progesterone from http://www.healthnatura.com/. Is this a reputable and bio-type of progesterone??
It's bioidentical and I find it to be high quality like everything I've used from HealthNatura. I'm on my second bottle of simply progesterone and I'm 100% satisfied with the product.

CoolTweetPete

Yup. Dr. Kassner has confirmed it is bioidentical in another thread.

Don't know about the warning on Dr. Peat's product. He himself has stated that Progesterone has no known side effects (other than euphoria). Probably just covering his bases. :)

OP
M

mamaherrera

but for women, whether you're deficient or not, it can't do you any harm?? Just making sure.

zooma

Don't know about the warning on Dr. Peat's product. He himself has stated that Progesterone has no known side effects (other than euphoria). Probably just covering his bases. :)
Ray has specifically addressed the meetings in which the CA health board have decided things are carcinogenic. To put it mildly, I wouldn't pay much attention to that.

CoolTweetPete

In men progesterone has bad effects.

I would caveat this statement with the idea that some men may find it helpful. I have found it useful for sleep, but I agree that it can affect libido.

I think if a man is very estrogenic from years of high PUFA diet or drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, they might find a short course useful as I did.

tara

Why does Ray Peat's proges-e have to include CA's warning about progesterone being known to cause cancer?? Is it really safe to take progesterone?? No risk in causing cancer?
Progesterone Summaries - Progesterone Deceptions - Progesterone Supplementation - Dosage of Progesterone

Don't know about the warning on Dr. Peat's product.
I'm not sure that i'd call Progest-E Dr Peat's product. It is inspired by Peat's recipe/patent, but but not identical to it, and Peat is not involved in producing or selling it, and I don't think he has financial stake in it.

but for women, whether you're deficient or not, it can't do you any harm?? Just making sure.
Acute overdose is possible - excessive anaesthesia. Dosage needs seem to vary a lot. Some women take 10mg/day, some have times where they take ~200mg. While you are figuring out dose, a way to avoid acute overdose is to take ~10mg progesterone at a time on gums, and increase by taking it more frequently. Many of us have taken quite a bit more than that at once after we have experimented a bit. Excessive anaesthesia from too much should be noticed within 10-15 minutes.

If you apply it topically, I think some of it can sit in the fat tissue and be released into the system slowly, so it doesn't stop quickly when you stop applying it.

I think someone (Haidut?) said it can increase sodium loss; itf this is right, then probably good to notice and listen to any salt cravings you get.

CoolTweetPete

@tara

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Many websites that sell it all call it "Dr. Peat's", or say "developed by Dr. Peat". I suppose they made the same incorrect assumption. :)

lindsay

I have ordered Health Natura's product twice now (as it was on sale) and I am super happy with it!! Kenogen will be upset with me, as I used to order progest-e like every 2 weeks or so, but I prefer the more fluid version of the progesterone from Health Natura - the MCT oils really help make it easy to spread and I think it keeps my skin more moisturized when I apply it. That being said, I also really like progest-e too, and they recently made their bottles a little larger for the same price, so I will probably alternate ordering from both companies.

If progesterone is carcinogenic (and I highly doubt it is - silly California), then I will gladly include this "carcinogen" in my daily routine :) But in all serious, I think the carcinogen warning is probably a confusion with non-biodentical Progestins..... maybe someone else can clarify this, but that would make sense, since they are really more estrogenic.

tara

maybe someone else can clarify this, but that would make sense, since they are really more estrogenic.

I think Peat spells out the possibilities for such confusion in his Progesterone Deceptions article:

OP
M

mamaherrera

I read the article and I still didn't understand why they called it carcinogenic, maybe I'm stupid and also, if I do 6 gram per day, it can have an accumulative effect then?? The people from health naturals said I could use it all month, except for when being on my period. How do you know when you don't need it as often?

tara

I read the article and I still didn't understand why they called it carcinogenic

Sorry mamaherrera, I just took another look and realised this one talks more specifically about the required warnings:
Estrogen, progesterone, and cancer: Conflicts of interest in regulation and product promotion.

The gist as far as I can tell, is that there are studies showing problems with some progestins and progestogens, which are not actually progesterone. No studies showing progesterone is carcinogenic. The regulatory agencies are so influenced by the industry that they are going along with what they want, and pretending that the progestin/progestogen effects apply to progesterone too, even though the may be doing some opposite things.

if I do 6 gram per day
6 grams a day seems extreme. 6mg/ a day is a low dose. May or may not be enough to make a difference for you.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Thanks, a lot, so maybe that's why I feel no difference. . . if I'll keep writing things here, as I feel differences, can you all help me know how to get a good doseage for me?? One thing I don't like is the taste in my mouth after I put it in, and should you not rinse or drink water right away after applying to gums?
Also, someone mentioned that some of the hormone stays in the fatty tissues of the gums, but someone else said that was the best place for having it get into the bloodsteam fast, and that the stomach would be a much slower place.

tara

Also, someone mentioned that some of the hormone stays in the fatty tissues of the gums,
I was aware of it possibly hanging around in fatty tissue under skin, not in gums. I think Peat has said gums give the most efficient delivery.

tara

I started at ~10mg x 5 times a day. I was going to do it only 2 wks of the month, but once I started I didn't want to stop because the symptoms I was trying to tackle were severe. (I experimented with taking much more, but no big improvements from it, and hard to keep regular dosing.)
Now I'm taking ~10 mg twice a day. I skipped two weeks from beginning of menstruation last month, but I don't think I'll do it again in a hurry - I think I'll keep it up all month for a while.

OP
M

mamaherrera

and I know it's all individual, but what are the benefits in "decreased symptoms" that you noticed?? Also< I got through the article, thanks for that, it was perfect, some of it was hard to understand, but you totally feel confident in taking progesterone. it would be nice to hear from many of this site who have taken it for a long time, and have no bad effects, only good. I would like to feel more relaxed, better sleep, and help get rid of extra bad cholesterol and improve sugar resistance, so I hope it can help for those. I also know there are lots of other things that are carcinogens as well, that have no labels on them, as warnings, and yet we consume them daily.

tara

My key issue is migraines. Progesterone has not stopped them, but it seemed that sometimes it helped hold them off a bit. I am not aware of any negative effects from it after more than 2 years, except that on two occasions I took much more to see if it would stop a migraine - maybe 150-200mg over a couple of hours - and got increased inertia - hard to get moving. That wore off after a couple more hours, and no obvious problems after. Of course I can only report what I noticed, so it there could be other effects I am not aware of, but I'm currently confident enough to continue it. I took two weeks off recently, and did not fare well, though as always, there could have been other factors. I think the progesterone may contribute to easier sleep for me, too.

OP
M

mamaherrera

I appreciate you sharing that with me Tara. Just one more observation, with all progesterone, with this one and the Progest-E. I notice that I get a sore throat after applying to my gums, and a tickle in my throat.How to avoid this?? don't like it, it is irritating to me.