Is There Are An Effective Way Clean PUFA Oil From Canned Oysters?

It's not the time of the year for fresh oysters here in England. I'm wondering if just washing sunflower-oil soaked oysters in water will remove a significant amount of PUFA, or will have have absorbed into the tissue of the oyster?

Ania

I think it is much safer to buy oysters canned in salty water. You can find them online.

Aymen

at least find one with olive oil and then drain it.
but canned in water will be a safer option.

Holliday88

In a pinch if I'm using oysters in a PUFA oil, i'll roll them in a paper towel several times and 'ring' the oil out until they're dry (although I know the compounds in paper towel aren't great, but this is in a pinch and rinsing them mushes them up too much). When completely dry ill put them in a pan for a little with coconut oil or butter to re-establish a saturated fat profile. I got this idea when Ray mentioned he would drain the oil from bacon and put coconut oil in to saturate it.

mrchibbs

In a pinch if I'm using oysters in a PUFA oil, i'll roll them in a paper towel several times and 'ring' the oil out until they're dry (although I know the compounds in paper towel aren't great, but this is in a pinch and rinsing them mushes them up too much). When completely dry ill put them in a pan for a little with coconut oil or butter to re-establish a saturated fat profile. I got this idea when Ray mentioned he would drain the oil from bacon and put coconut oil in to saturate it.

In a pinch, draining and rinsing should remove much of it. Just add a tbsp of coconut oil and salt, and it should dilute the PUFA ratio enough to make it safe.

But as others have mentioned alternatives with olive oil, and there are several canned oysters brand which do not contain oil. I would think the investment is justified in the case of really good canned oysters

JoeT

Sadly canned oysters don't seem to be popular here in the UK.

There's just that one brand and as the op says use sunflower oil. I have found an online shop that sells an imported can in spring water but they are hugely expensive.

I may give the paper towel trick a go, thanks!

I wonder if anyone found any good source for tinned oysters here? I'm seeing the same thing with John West's in Sunflower Oil and tempted to buy and rinse as it can be a hassle to buy fresh oysters on a weekly basis (the Waitrose that stock them is a fair walk).

AdoTintor

I used to squeeze them whilst rinsing but it felt messy and I still had to scoop off a layer of golden scum that would come to the top after cooking in milk.

By accident chanced upon an infinitely better method with these funnels which come with a fine sieve - I can run water over then as I break them up with fingers and it really gets them completely clean - all the oil is washed out but you don't loose any meat - a complete game changer, I imagine Peat would be very proud of me.

Amazon product ASIN B07ZKFCPKFView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZKFCPKF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting I feel like this is definitely worth the investment to keep regular oyster intake. How do these funnels differ from any other regular sieve?

Ismail

I used to squeeze them whilst rinsing but it felt messy and I still had to scoop off a layer of golden scum that would come to the top after cooking in milk.

By accident chanced upon an infinitely better method with these funnels which come with a fine sieve - I can run water over then as I break them up with fingers and it really gets them completely clean - all the oil is washed out but you don't loose any meat - a complete game changer, I imagine Peat would be very proud of me.

Amazon product ASIN B07ZKFCPKFView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZKFCPKF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you break them up completely to get rid of the oil?

I used to wash them and then gently roll them in kitchen roll tissue ?‍♂️

I recently had some very large and yummy raw oysters, wish I could do that regularly, I felt such an uplifting feeling from having them, very different to the canned ones for sure.

Attachments

• EF0ACCBD-7E6C-432D-9D6B-8F89A4B08A59.jpeg
    EF0ACCBD-7E6C-432D-9D6B-8F89A4B08A59.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 19

AdoTintor

Interesting I feel like this is definitely worth the investment to keep regular oyster intake. How do these funnels differ from any other regular sieve?

These work well because the sieve is "just so" - you don't loose much at all, plus the meat doesn't get stuck in the mesh - so it is really easy to jus rinse wash afterwards. You could find something equivalent I am sure.

AdoTintor

Do you break them up completely to get rid of the oil?
yes I obliterate them by pressing them. These are crappy canned oysters so there's no joy in eating them. Basically medicine. I can see why you might want to preserve the integrity of the ones you bought.

I've enjoyed stocking up on oysters these last few months. Oysters have a reputation in the UK as being synonymous as a food for sex, an aphrodisiac, so when you turn up at the checkout with 36 cans the checkout girls either give you a knowing wink or a sort of bemused look like "get out of here you need this much"

P

Peatness

yes I obliterate them by pressing them. These are crappy canned oysters so there's no joy in eating them. Basically medicine. I can see why you might want to preserve the integrity of the ones you bought.

I've enjoyed stocking up on oysters these last few months. Oysters have a reputation in the UK as being synonymous as a food for sex, an aphrodisiac, so when you turn up at the checkout with 36 cans the checkout girls either give you a knowing wink or a sort of bemused look like "get out of here you need this much"
:eek: I wonder what they're thinking when I rock up with my 36 cans?

Ismail

Oh wow, okay that’s what I kinda wanted to hear ?? ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

P

Peatness

I find rinsing with hot water quite effective. I put the oysters in a sieve and I keep pouring hot water until I’m satisfied all the oil has disappeared.

Don

Can the actual oyster meat absorb any of the pufa oil ? or would rinsing it out well with warm/hot water literally remove all the oil ?
thanks