Is There Anything Wrong With Blueberries And Other Berries?

Kunder

Actually one safe way to be sure the seeds are not chewed is a berry enema. It’s already big in some parts of Europe.

The only other Peat-friendly alternative is this:

Attachments

• CF7D2DE2-2E70-4C70-B3DF-8436AB1CFE0D.jpeg
    CF7D2DE2-2E70-4C70-B3DF-8436AB1CFE0D.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 124

Jon

Blueberries are awesome. They have tons of manganese so I eat them everyday to assure I've gotten enough and they're also a nice adjunct to carrots and mushrooms as they contain lots of calcium-d-glucarate in the skins so they also help wick out estrogen in the intestines. The small seeds in the berries are easy to not break open if you just chew lightly.

Badger

What about blueberry juice from powder or concentrates? No seeds, I assume, in that.

sladerunner69

I eat blueberries all the time, love em. Where the heck are the seeds lol? I'm thinking he means bigger seeds like watermelon or apple seeds. Can you plant a blueberry seed? I seriously dont even know where they are. Also if the seeds go through you unbroken wouldn't that mean they dont effect you.

Yes the seeds are designed to pass through the digestion. However I believe they can cause a bit of irritation, Ive felt it after eating tons of watermelon for instance.

sladerunner69

Would standing next to someone eating berries be ok though? Some PUFA from the seeds may vaporize during the chewing action and end up inhaled by others in close proximity. What is a safe PUFA inhalation distance?

Well that certainly depends, those who are prepared to roll the dice with PUFA vapor may stand between 8-12 inches back while chewing for a safe bet. I prefer not to leave life to chance, however, and always wear my seed-dust surgical mask, and have someone else perform the chewing process for a modest fee.

Jon

What about blueberry juice from powder or concentrates? No seeds, I assume, in that.

The benefit of blueberries is in the skins. I'm not sure that just the juice would contain enough of the skin to have the same benefit.

kyle

When you poop the seeds out in the yard a blueberry bush might grow there.

Win, win, I say.

KennethKaniff

Would standing next to someone eating berries be ok though? Some PUFA from the seeds may vaporize during the chewing action and end up inhaled by others in close proximity. What is a safe PUFA inhalation distance?

Please tell me this is a joke. This level of orthorexia will do you no good.

SOMO

Raspberries and blackberries get stuck in my teeth.

That's all that's wrong with them.

Waynish

I'd eat them if they taste good & are ripe - but many berries in places like the US that I go to are garbage!

smith

"RAY PEAT: No, some seeds do pass through harmlessly, like cactus pear seeds. They are so tough that they pass through without being an irritant -¬ but tomato seeds are so tender that if they get crushed by chewing they release fairly toxic materials, protein oxidising -¬and seeds in general are protected for the plant’s benefit by toxins that are aimed at whatever predator threatens them. So many seeds contain toxins that are intended to prevent mammalian enzymes from digesting them.

CALLER: Aha, so like a blackberry seed, blackberries, I mean they seem so good but those seeds they seem like they are just going to get stuck in the intestine somewhere cause they are so hard. Is that a possibility or are they going to pass through or are they going to create that toxic effect?

RAY PEAT: No, they pass right through unless you chew them and have an allergic reaction."
- paraphrased from a post by @schultz

Last edited:

GelatinGoblin

Well that certainly depends, those who are prepared to roll the dice with PUFA vapor may stand between 8-12 inches back while chewing for a safe bet. I prefer not to leave life to chance, however, and always wear my seed-dust surgical mask, and have someone else perform the chewing process for a modest fee.

I do something similar. Glad people are finally catching up to the PUFA vapor in the RP community.

Atman

Actually one safe way to be sure the seeds are not chewed is a berry enema. It’s already big in some parts of Europe.

The only other Peat-friendly alternative is this:
I wonder how many grams of PUFA are in those seeds? 0,1g?
That would mean that 20 strawberries alone will get you to the magically 2g/day boundary.

Re.Generate

I do something similar. Glad people are finally catching up to the PUFA vapor in the RP community.
I totally agree with this ? - **** corona and all that ***t, no one cares and they know it’s overplayed.

pufa vapor however - I make damn sure I carry my PUFA mask with me wherever I go, my little girl (5) wears one to and from school on the bus and my boy will officially start next year.... though to be honest all this bull**** I hear from some people about “it doesn’t affect younger children”....just don’t buy it, so he (3) actually wears one too whenever he visits a pufa eating friend.

not that we have many of “those” kinds of friends anymore.... people who eat pufa should be locked up!

SOMO

I'd eat them if they taste good & are ripe - but many berries in places like the US that I go to are garbage!

Try frozen berries from costco. They are fresh and you can make wine from them when they defrost, which means the plant still has natural soil on it and is the best alternative besides growing your own.

Brundle

I would think that organic blueberries are the safest, since their seeds are invisible, and as Peat says they'll pass right through you if you don't chew them. And there is no reason to over-chew any fruit, especially a blueberry. Use your tongue to masticate them slightly, not your teeth.

In fact, they whole point of plants putting seeds inside fruit is that they'll be excreted undamaged and undigested, to spread the plant's DNA. So fruit seeds are not the same as pulverized grain seeds anyway.